2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

What Callis really hammered was JR-Kenny conundrum in their difference in philosophy. He said that Kenny Williams likes high impact, boom or bust type, toolsy players. But he said that Reinsdorf is not willing to spend money in the draft. The problem is that those type players are not cheap and in turn you end up with Keenyn Walker and Soptic type players.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Quintana, Santiago and Pedro Hernandez don't count?

We already have Sale and Danks. I wouldn't say ANOTHER lefty is the highest priority in the world at the moment.

Its Keith Law. He may end up being right about who we draft, its just guessing anyway, but the guy has made clear that any "analysis" he provides about the Sox should be placed in the trash.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:38 AM)
Jim Callis of Baseball America was just on the score and was ripping apart the White Sox organization specifically Reinsdorf about his spending habits on the draft-shocker. He still believes the White Sox are going cheap and not come close to spending the allotted money ($5.9 million) on the first 10 rounds. If this is true-Reinsdorf needs to be blasted and give an explanation to his fans. The new collective bargaining agreement towards the Draft was pushed mostly by Reinsdorf and we should now take advantage of the system and spend the allotted money given to the White Sox.

All 5.9 mil better be spent no excuses anymore from JR and Company.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
What Callis really hammered was JR-Kenny conundrum in their difference in philosophy. He said that Kenny Williams likes high impact, boom or bust type, toolsy players. But he said that Reinsdorf is not willing to spend money in the draft. The problem is that those type players are not cheap and in turn you end up with Keenyn Walker and Soptic type players.

So KW should have some blamed removed from him for some of the past drafts?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
So KW should have some blamed removed from him for some of the past drafts?

I, for one, have never totally blamed Kenny for the draft inefficiencies. Much more of the blame should be on Reinsdorf, but there are specific examples ( Royce Ring in Round 1, Mitchell over Trout a few years back that could fall on KW. The thought process that says "never in anyway should we use resources on amateur talent, but I will shell out funds for the rest of Juan Pierre's contract" is and always will be completely asanine to me.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Quintana, Santiago and Pedro Hernandez don't count?

We already have Sale and Danks. I wouldn't say ANOTHER lefty is the highest priority in the world at the moment.

You don't pass on a front-line starter (which is what I assume they'd view Smoral as if he's the pick) because you have Jose Quintana, Hector Santiago, and the immortal Pedro Hernandez in your system. Just take the best player available and be done with it.

QUOTE (maxjusttyped @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
You don't pass on a front-line starter (which is what I assume they'd view Smoral as if he's the pick) because you have Jose Quintana, Hector Santiago, and the immortal Pedro Hernandez in your system. Just take the best player available and be done with it.

You also don't pass on a lefty in the draft because you have lefties in your rotation or bullpen or minor league system. If you think the lefty is the best talent on the board, take the lefty. By the time he gets to the big leagues, your rotation will look nothing like it does now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
You also don't pass on a lefty in the draft because you have lefties in your rotation or bullpen or minor league system. If you think the lefty is the best talent on the board, take the lefty. By the time he gets to the big leagues, your rotation will look nothing like it does now.

However, as in the case of Chris Sale, let's be realistic and say a collegiate pitcher easily could be on the White Sox roster in 2012 or 2013...depending on their desire to get signed as quickly as possible with a guarantee.

If the best prospect is a pitcher in high school, that would be another story.

But Honel and Stumm are the only ones that come to mind.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
However, as in the case of Chris Sale, let's be realistic and say a collegiate pitcher easily could be on the White Sox roster in 2012 or 2013...depending on their desire to get signed as quickly as possible with a guarantee.

If the best prospect is a pitcher in high school, that would be another story.

But Honel and Stumm are the only ones that come to mind.

If you happen to draft a pitcher who is that MLB ready again, you count your lucky stars.

13. Chicago White Sox: Marcus Stroman, RHP, Duke

The is where the run on the tier two college arms begin. Take the next three names and put them in any order, but it doesn't look like the Reds are on Stroman as much as some others. The White Sox would actually prefer Wacha if he's here.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=17223

I still love Stroman. Some of the best stuff in the draft class. Already has two plus pitches. If he wasn't 5' 9'' he'd be in the mix for number 1 pick in the draft. There is obviously some risk that he ends up in the pen, but he has much better upside as a starter than some of the 2nd tier of college pitching that should be available around 13. Though I perfectly understand if the Sox want a safer option considering the state of the farm.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=17223

I still love Stroman. Some of the best stuff in the draft class. Already has two plus pitches. If he wasn't 5' 9'' he'd be in the mix for number 1 pick in the draft. There is obviously some risk that he ends up in the pen, but he has much better upside as a starter than some of the 2nd tier of college pitching that should be available around 13. Though I perfectly understand if the Sox want a safer option considering the state of the farm.

I keep going back to what the pitchers in the Sox rotation look like. They are all tall.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 06:27 PM)
I keep going back to what the pitchers in the Sox rotation look like. They are all tall.

Indeed they are. I don't expect them to take Stroman, just offering my opinion on him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
I agree, I'd have no problem with the Clemson 3rd baseman.

I think other than Zunino, (who clearly won't be available at 13) Shaffer is the only college bat that I'd be in favor of as a 1st round pick. Pretty terrible college position player crop this season.

Edited by DirtySox

I'm always for best player available, but I would love to see the Sox go the position playing route in close situations this draft. We only have a handful of position playing prospects with major league ceilings and will have several holes to fill at the major league level over the next three years.

Also, I'd really like to see more high school players drafted in the top 10 rounds. I seriously hate looking at our low A roster and seeing 23 & 24 years old on there. Having said that, I'd most likely avoid a high school pitcher in the first round.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:29 PM)
Indeed they are. I don't expect them to take Stroman, just offering my opinion on him.

You're probably right, he doesn't look the part of a major leaguer, but I just don't really care personally. Look at his numbers, look at the results, look at his raw stuff. I'll take performance over a guy who looks good getting off the bus any day of the week.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:33 AM)
I think other than Zunino, (who clearly won't be available at 13) Shaffer is the only college bat that I'd be in favor of as a 1st round pick. Pretty terrible college position player crop this season.

I still think Roache is going to make a team in the late first round/early supplemental pick very happy

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
I still think Roache is going to make a team in the late first round/early supplemental pick very happy

It's certainly possible. I just couldn't pull the trigger on him at 13 after an injured season.