2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 02:42 AM)
Sickels posted his 2012 Draft Top 100:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/1/30...couting-reports

Correa has some late helium for sure.

Correa's been the one guy I didn't want to see the Cubs draft. It will be interesting to see if they draft shortstops in consecutive first rounds when their best player is a SS and their best young offensive prospect is a SS.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
I'm always for best player available, but I would love to see the Sox go the position playing route in close situations this draft. We only have a handful of position playing prospects with major league ceilings and will have several holes to fill at the major league level over the next three years.

Also, I'd really like to see more high school players drafted in the top 10 rounds. I seriously hate looking at our low A roster and seeing 23 & 24 years old on there. Having said that, I'd most likely avoid a high school pitcher in the first round.

With the CBA changes, high school kids are going to be less likely to sign late.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
With the CBA changes, high school kids are going to be less likely to sign late.

True, but I'll still think you see plenty of high schoolers get drafted and signed in the first ten rounds. You'll definitely see less high schoolers get drafted in the 10's and 20's.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Not buying Heaney to the Sox. If this draft was was in 2007, maybe, but nothing over the past three years has indicated that the Sox will take the "safe" pitcher in the first round.

That's the better way of saying what I meant earlier. They've gotten away from the 'safe' pick.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Gio Gonzalez

Caulfield post that's 2 words long? No way.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 08:58 PM)
Looks like the Twins will take that Georgia kid, and Houston goes with a college pitcher.

Zunino probably to the M's.

Is this the same "Georgia kid" who was hurt in the last year that some sites had the Sox linked too? If so his stock must have really risen.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Is this the same "Georgia kid" who was hurt in the last year that some sites had the Sox linked too? If so his stock must have really risen.

No. Byron Buxton not Victor Roache. And there were never really any concrete links to Roache. Just one or two super early draft projections with no sourced information.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
No. Byron Buxton not Victor Roache. And there were never really any concrete links to Roache. Just one or two super early draft projections with no sourced information.

Any chance Roache is still available at pick #48? #13 is way too high for him but getting him at #48 would be very nice.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 2, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Any chance Roache is still available at pick #48? #13 is way too high for him but getting him at #48 would be very nice.

I'm honestly not sure. It all depends on his medicals I would imagine. It's possible he falls to 48, but I'd wager he goes late 1st or very early supplemental.

Sickels' latest mock draft:

13) Chicago White Sox: I think this comes down to a high-upside high school bat (Hawkins, Seager, or perhaps speedy D.J. Davis) or the best college pitcher still on the board. In the end, Chris Stratton, RHP, Mississippi State has a great balance of upside and refinement.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/6/3/30...t-johns-version

Edited by DirtySox

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

According to source the Houston Astros are expected to select Stanford RHP Mark Appel with the first over all selection in tomorrows draft.

Reply Retweet Favorite

I'd much rather have Buxton or Correa.

I like Stratton and I like Stroman even more. I like what I hear about Stratton but it seems that a lot of his stuff "Just" appeared...making me wonder how long it will last. Stroman has some great stuff and if it's just the height holding him back, well f*** that. He already has the stuff that height projects a pitcher to get. The scouting reports on Stroman lead you to believe he could be in the bigs relieving right now. Has the stuff to be a dominant SP

I don't mind the theory of high upside HS players...but I've had about enough of the athletic high strikeout players at this point. I'd like to see us get a guy who at least doesn't project to strikeout 150 times per year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
Maybe the Sox will take Stroman because they might need him in September.

If we had another 1st rounder get up within 12 months of his drafting, that'd be crazy. Probably not even a good thing, lol

In 1988, the White Sox made an Oklahoma State third baseman the 10th pick in the amateur draft.

Manager Robin Ventura could see another player from his alma mater drafted 13th by the Sox on Monday night. That would be left-hander Andrew Heaney, although it looks more and more like the Sox might go with a high schooler.

Outfielder Courtney Hawkins from Corpus Christi, Texas, will be tempting, if he is available. Another high school possibility is lefty Matt Smoral from Solon, Ohio.

Possible college pitchers besides Heaney include Michael Wacha of Texas A&M and Marcus Stroman of Duke.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3932561.story

I think you go with the best college player available every time in the draft. Much less likely to bust and just as likely to develop into a star. I honestly would never take a high school player in the first round unless you are talking about a Bryce Harper-type. They are just too risky. You have no idea how they will handle the pressure. Their stats are basically meaningless. At least with college players, you have three years of data against better competition, you have a better sense of how they handle pressure, they are more educated, more mature, etc.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 1, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article....articleid=17223

I still love Stroman. Some of the best stuff in the draft class. Already has two plus pitches. If he wasn't 5' 9'' he'd be in the mix for number 1 pick in the draft. There is obviously some risk that he ends up in the pen, but he has much better upside as a starter than some of the 2nd tier of college pitching that should be available around 13. Though I perfectly understand if the Sox want a safer option considering the state of the farm.

I'm with you. Stroman has some serious upside. Not sure how his body will hold up, but the stuff is legit.

We were talking about successful big league starters at the 5'10" or 5'9 mark.

Whitey Ford of the Yankees would be another example, or Ron Guidry, come to mind.

Fernando Valenzuela, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine, Tim Lincecum, Billy Wagner (for a reliever)…Gio Gonzalez.

I got to see Purdue C Kevin Plawecki this weekend. If he's there for the Sox in the 2nd round, I think he'd be a great pick. Great bat, strong arm behind the dish (threw out 40% of runners) and committed only 2 errors all season.

It took you 4 days to come up with those names and I'm sure you googled it. By the way Tom Glavine was 6-0 tall. You can add Tom Gordon to the list as a reliever, but we were talking about starting pitchers. That's 6 starting pitchers in almost 60-70 year span-not very good odds to making it as a starter.

Edited by PolishPrince34