2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Not a lot of names I like there.

Courtney Hawkins is so much a Kenny Williams type player. Very toolsy, prodigious power potential, but quite raw with contact issues. I imagine Kenny salivating at the possibility he drops to 13.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie Piliere ‏@FrankiePiliere

Latest draft buzz I'm hearing. Royals taking a close look at Almora and Fried at #5

Reply Retweet Favorite

Interesting. The Royals desperately need advanced college pitching and have been linked to it all year. Fried could move somewhat fast as a prep prospect though. Also, the Cubs would be crushed if Almora goes one spot before they pick.

The reason you can't think of many short starting pitchers is because most short guys can't throw hard. The chance that a guy who is short happens to have good enough velocity to dominate plus good off speed pitches to make him a starter is rare.

Stroman is a finished product, his height is irrelevant because he already has the stuff. He doesn't have to get better, talent-wise. He has all the velocity, etc. that you need. He just has to polish like any successful college pitcher would. The height doesn't matter. He has a very developed body, so I think he is less of a durability risk than a Sale type of player.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
Courtney Hawkins is so much a Kenny Williams type player. Very toolsy, prodigious power potential, but quite raw with contact issues. I imagine Kenny salivating at the possibility he drops to 13.

No more contact-challenged prospects!

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 09:18 PM)
Victor Roache is a guy I joked about the Sox taking back in spring training. He just seems exactly like what Kenny would want to take, and that scares me.

If they are confident his medicals are fine, and he will sign for under the recommended slot value allowing that money to be reallocated to rounds 2 through 10, I'd be okay with it. Very much a long shot though.

In the last 12-13 years, the only "boom or bust" athletic player that KW targeted who really made it was Chris Young...unless you count Viciedo, and because of his lack of speed and fielding prowess, I don't really think of him in the same way (4-5 tool player) as I would Mitchell/Walker/Thompson.

Sweeney, I suppose. But he's more of a 4th outfielder and never developed the power envisioned with his frame.

That's not a great track record, at least compared to their ability to identify pitching.

We just don't have a good track record with these no-contact athlete guys. Chris Young is as close as it gets, and strikeouts are STILL a big problem for him. We just haven't shown an ability to fix these guys with strikeout issues, and that might just be because that is very hard to fix.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
We were talking about successful big league starters at the 5'10" or 5'9 mark.

Whitey Ford of the Yankees would be another example, or Ron Guidry, come to mind.

Fernando Valenzuela, Pedro Martinez, Tom Glavine, Tim Lincecum, Billy Wagner (for a reliever)…Gio Gonzalez.

Gio Gonzalez is not 5'9" or 5'10". I'm 5'10" and he was taller than me.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 3, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
Just what the White Sox need, another f***ing right handed pitcher.

One can't assume that Gavin Floyd will be around next year, so a RHP pitcher isn't the WORST idea in the world.

Humber's far from a sure thing at this point in time.

And we're going to have to replace Jake Peavy, so it makes sense.

Or our pitching prospects, Quintana is first in line right now, and he's another lefty. Castro and Molina are the best prospects, and they're still at least half a season away or more...and far from sure things.

We don't want another Honel, McCulloch or Broadway, but we DO need a mid-rotation guy. And one's confidence in Molina being a 1-2-3 caliber of starter hasn't exactly been elevated in April and May.

Just added another $300,000 to the cap for International signings this year.

MLB has made it such that a team can't spend more than $3.2 million this year on international free agents.

(And, yes, it's actually $3.2 million, not the announced $2.9 million. According to the CBA, six bonuses up to $50,000 will not count against the international pool. Which means if teams push the rule to the limit, they'll get $2.9 million, plus $300,000.)

What time does the draft start tonight and how much time between picks? Will the Sox make two picks tonight (1st round and supplemental)?

Starts at 7pm, live on MLBN, the Sox will make their 1st and supplemental picks tonight. Not sure about time between picks but my guess would be 10 minutes.

EDIT: That's 7pm Eastern time.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

KG's latest projection says the Sox are in on Stroman noting they could use him in the pen in September. Hopefully they would let him start the following season in the minors. Also notes Wacha, Heaney, and Stratton in the mix again.

Edited by DirtySox