2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sox do decide to draft Stroman, they will do the same as to when they picked Chris Sale. Bring him up towards the end of the year as a power reliever. That also brings up the possibility of trading Thornton or Crain and bringing in some prospects for the farm system. I would love that, but can't see Kenny doing that. The way Jones is pitching he could easily take over Crain's spot.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 07:49 AM)
Piliere tweets it's Stroman or Heaney for ChiSox at 13. Very different players. One very safe polished starter with less upside versus a guy with better stuff and higher ceiling but risk of being a reliever.

I am actually okay with either of those picks.

The more I'm been watching and reading up on Heaney I would be fine with that pick because his stuff suits our ballpark. Heaney has 3 solid pitches, keeps the ball low-ground ball pitcher, lefty, and throws strike with good command. I'm definitely scared of drafting Wacha. He throws his pitches high in the zone and will give up a ton of homers in the Cell.

I'm on the Stroman bandwagon as well, especially if Richie Schaffer is off the board by then.

Who do you guys think we'll draft at 48?

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at a high-upside project type player with that pick, Lewis Brinson, Jesse Winker or even Adam Brett Walker wouldn't be bad. One thing is for certain, we need some legitimate power threats in our system. Andy Wilkins and Dan Black just aren't going to cut it.

I think they're going pitching with both their picks today. I would love them to get Ty Buttrey or Ty Hensley both RHP out of high school at #48. Huge ceilings, but will need time to develop. Big time potential down the road.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
I'm hoping Brinson falls to #48. Stroman sounds goo at #13, but is it too much to hope for Fried to fall there?

Brinson sounds like a White Sox draft pick. One of biggest ceilings in entire draft, but also will find out very quickly if he's going to be a bust. Must shorten his swing. I want the Sox to stay away from a player like that we already have Mitchell, Thompson, and Walker and that hasn't gone smoothly.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
What are the thoughts on Giolito? I know he suffered an injury, but if he were there isn't the kind of talent that is worth risking acquiring?

They might not be able to afford him.

What are the thoughts on Giolito? I know he suffered an injury, but if he were there isn't the kind of talent that is worth risking acquiring?

I would think real hard taking him with the 48th pick.

What kind of injury are we talking about? Is it something that will happen again, or something that was just a freak thing?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
What kind of injury are we talking about? Is it something that will happen again, or something that was just a freak thing?

Giolito has not pitched in a game for nearly three months due to a sprained ulnar collateral ligament. He is worth the risk at 48 and he is friends with Ventura.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)

Giolito came out of the chute in December and January throwing 95-99 mph and showing off a long-toss regimen that "makes Trevor Bauer's long toss look like kid stuff," in the words of one scout. He pitched between 92-99 through February, sitting comfortably at 94-96. Then he sprained his ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow in early March, ending his season and turning him into something of a wild card for the draft. Doctors worked with him on strengthening target areas during his rehabilitation, and he started throwing on flat ground by early May, with a plan to start throwing from 90 and 120 feet in the weeks leading up to the draft. May need Tommy John Surgery down the road.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
Giolito came out of the chute in December and January throwing 95-99 mph and showing off a long-toss regimen that "makes Trevor Bauer's long toss look like kid stuff," in the words of one scout. He pitched between 92-99 through February, sitting comfortably at 94-96. Then he sprained his ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow in early March, ending his season and turning him into something of a wild card for the draft. Doctors worked with him on strengthening target areas during his rehabilitation, and he started throwing on flat ground by early May, with a plan to start throwing from 90 and 120 feet in the weeks leading up to the draft. May need Tommy John Surgery down the road.

A guy who already has elbow problems? Unless the brain trust sees something fixable, there is no way they pick him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
A guy who already has elbow problems? Unless the brain trust sees something fixable, there is no way they pick him.

A lot of guys have elbow problems though. With medicine the way it is, you can sometimes really do well by picking up this kind of guy, especially given his upside. If he's there at 48, given how much higher his ceiling is then other guys (this is an awful draft class), you have to consider it, imo.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)

Robin Ventura does know him well. It has been rumored that he wants to go pro. Keith Law has stated that if were running the Astros, he would take him #1 overall. It's worth a shot at #48. I'd even do it at #13 if they knew for sure that he'd sign. I am always willing to roll the dice on a future ace. Many have clamored for Stroman and I like him too. But even if Giolito has arm surgery, his innings as a starter will be much more valuable than if Stroman is a career reliever. The Sox will probably take Heaney or Wacha and make this a moot point anyway though.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
A lot of guys have elbow problems though. With medicine the way it is, you can sometimes really do well by picking up this kind of guy, especially given his upside. If he's there at 48, given how much higher his ceiling is then other guys (this is an awful draft class), you have to consider it, imo.

I can't see the Sox paying that kind of coin to a guy with a real chance at losing two years of development.