59.1 IP

61 H

68 K

17 BB

1.31 WHIP

32 R

22 ER

5 HR

Ranked #18 on MLB.com's list of Top 20 White Sox prospects. Their scouting report:

The Stanford lefty pitched out of the bullpen during his junior season but started during his pro debut in the Pioneer League in 2011. His ERA would have placed him second in the league with enough innings and he struck out 10.3 per nine innings while not hurting himself too much with walks. His fastball-breaking ball combination alone could allow him to move fast through the system.

He's ranked #19 in FutureSox's Top 25 prospects list:

Scott Snodgress pitched mostly in relief while at Stanford, but was used as a starter at Great Falls in his debut season. His core results (3.34 ERA, 1.31 WHIP) and peripherals (10.3 K/9 vs 2.6 BB/9) were impressive given his lack of starting experience. Scott shows a 90-92 mph fastball, curve and change, and has good control, but was noted in college for some inconsistencies in his approach and motion. The results say he may be maturing past that. Snodgress will probably be starting at Kannapolis in 2012, but jumping to High-A isn't out of the question.

He was much better a SP than he was in 4 RP appearances:

SP: 51 IP, 2.98 ERA, 51 H, 27 R, 17 ER, 55 K, 13 BB, .313 AVG

RP: 8 IP, 5.63 ERA, 10 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 13 K, 4 BB, .254 AVG

Only made 9 starts in his 3 years at Stanford.

His first win came on 8/18 last season where he started and pitched 6 no-hit innings as part of a combined no-hitter. LINK

Compared to his 2011 stats at Stanford, it seems as though he was really able to improve his control in Winston Salem. 28 BB in 31 IP at Stanford, 17 BB in 59.1 IP at WS.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Snodgress' first 2 starts this season in Kanapolis weren't too good, but he did well Thursday night. 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K.

Through 3 starts, 0-0 record, 15.1 IP, 4.70 ERA, 15 H, 12 K, 8 BB, 0 HR.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Snodgress has started to hit a groove at Winston-Salem.

Combined in June and July: 2-1 (9 starts), 49.2 IP, 2.01 ERA, 14 R, 11 ER, 44 K, 20 BB

He's gone 9 straight starts allowing 3 runs or less. He now owns a 3.64 ERA this season in 99 innings. 85 K and 49 BB.

• 4 weeks later...

Snodgress was promoted up to Advanced A Winston Salem in late July.

He is 4-0 in 5 starts with a 2.12 ERA (7 ER). He has struck out 28 while walking 9 in 29.2 innings.

Has gone 6.0, 6.0, 5.2, 6.0, and 6.0 innings in his starts. Opponents are hitting .168 against him.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Marc Hulet @ FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/prospect-st...cott-snodgress/

Scott Snodgress, LHP, White Sox: The Stanford alum signed his first pro contract after being selected by Chicago in the fifth round of the 2011 amateur draft. Snodgress has moved swiftly through the system and has spent the entire ’13 season pitching in Double-A.

Standing 6’6”, the tall southpaw has provided just under six innings per start and has compiled a total of 131.2 innings in 23 starts. He’s made some strides with improving his overall control but his strikeouts rate has dipped to 5.40 batters per nine innings, meaning he’s been a significant pitch-to-contact hurler in 2013.

Snodgress, 23, pitches with a low-three-quarter arm slot that provides deception but, when I saw him pitch, he was having difficulties repeating his arm slot, which caused his command to suffer. He showed a slinging arm action and his fastball, which sat in the low 90s, looked quicker than it actually is because of his deception and quick arm. He had a very fastball-heavy approach but the pitch did not have a ton of movement to it.

His best pitch was his changeup. He threw it with the same arm speed and slot as his fastball. It flashed plus at times in the game I witnessed and it had good fade. His curveball was below average on this day. Past reports have suggested his curve is ahead of his changeup but that was not the case when I saw him.

I have hope that Snodgress will continue to improve. He has an athletic frame, moves well on the mound and tall pitchers tend to develop late because it takes them longer to get comfortable with their pitching mechanics. If he can use his height to its full potential, he could eventually provide a more pronounced downward plane on his pitches, which should allow him to induce even more ground-ball outs.

He’s probably about a year away from receiving his first taste of the big leagues, but doesn’t have to be added to the 40-man roster (to protect from the Rule 5 draft) until after 2014, so next September may be the earliest we see him unless he makes significant improvements. He has the ceiling of a No. 3 or 4 starter, with the latter projection seeming a little more likely at this point.

• 11 months later...

Funny that Snodgress is thinking of ditching the change up when that interview Hulet gave a year ago said that was his plus pitch. I think I remember his scouting report also saying that or his slider. Hope the sox brass talks to him about that. I think he will be a fixture as the sox lefty in the pen. His velocity, I believe, should surely rise back to the 95+ like it was in Stanford out of the pen.

• 4 months later...