Syria

kapkomet

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 5, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)
Sounds like things are going to get dicey.

Turkey hit Syrian military bases. The problem is that unlike rogue elements in Afghanistan, Palestine, etc, this is the actual Syrian military hitting Turkey. It also is different because Turkey has the superior military support (part of Nato) so they can do whatever they want.

You'll see how powerful these international organizations are when a country like Turkey wants the USA to save their asses and the USA doesn't want to do it.

hint: no power

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that 3 year difference between 1949 and 1952 really changes things.

Turkey was involved in the Korean War, which is pretty much the first major NATO military operation. Do you think that Germany doesnt get as much support from Nato? They joined in 1955.

Why would the US need to save Turkey's ass from Syria?

By all accounts Turkey's army is vastly superior to Syrias, Im pretty sure Turkey has the 2nd largest military in Nato. The issue is that a war declaration on any member of Nato is a declaration on all members. Thus Syria can not do anything to Turkey.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Israel allegedly attacked Syria today. UN hilariously cant determine if it happened due to "bad weather".

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/topic/syria/un-...anes-over-golan

"Allegedly attacked" and "flew over an area" seem like radically different things, no?

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
"Allegedly attacked" and "flown over an area" seem like radically different things, no?

There are a lot of conflicting reports.

Israel is saying nothing.

Rebels are saying that they (the Rebels) attacked the compound with rockets. I believe they are also confirming that Israel attacked something.

Iran/Syria is saying that Israel destroyed the compound with attacks.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
There are a lot of conflicting reports.

Israel is saying nothing.

Rebels are saying that they (the Rebels) attacked the compound with rockets. I believe they are also confirming that Israel attacked something.

Iran/Syria is saying that Israel destroyed the compound with attacks.

American officials are confirming the report of an Israeli airstrike near Damascus.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 09:23 AM)
Your avitar should read 'small ears, BIG EARS'. Would be accurate without digital manipulation.

Indeed. I'd change it to something else but I'm too lazy

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
But yes, the US should stay out of this middle east stuff.

This was likely at the US's behest. Israel gives us a very good base of operation and also cover for when we want bad things done to Iran.

The US will never stay out of the Middle East as long as there is an extremely important resource there.

And even then, I really dont like the idea of "isolationism". The last time the US went down the path of "staying out of other people's problems" we ended up still having to get involved.

So you are going to move to a country that is entirely dependent on the support of the US, because the US is supporting another country that is entirely dependent on the support of the US?

What are you going to do when the US starts interfering in Asia to protect SK, Taiwan and Japan from China?

I rather not play this hypothetical game. People are tired of this damn politicians making decisions that are vastly unpopular with the majority of people. I have a feeling if we are somehow pushed into another war that the people in this country will lose their cool.

Japan might be dependent on the US but the reality of the matter is it'll be away from the ticking time bomb that is the American people.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
I rather not play this hypothetical game. People are tired of this damn politicians making decisions that are vastly unpopular with the majority of people. I have a feeling if we are somehow pushed into another war that the people in this country will lose their cool.

Japan might be dependent on the US but the reality of the matter is it'll be away from the ticking time bomb that is the American people.

Vastly unpopular with who?

In the last election Obama was being attacked for not being supportive of Israel enough. That Obama is the least friendly President to the state of Israel.

Even liberals wont really mind decimating Iran. Iran's nonsense propaganda against Jews, Israel and the US has basically given us a green light to do anything we want to Tehran.

I dont really care what is vastly popular or not popular. It was vastly unpopular to get involved in WWII prior to Pearl Harbor. It was vastly popular to attack Iraq. Popularity doesnt make it right or wrong. Politicians should be making decisions that are for the good of the whole. If they believe that attacking a convoy in Syria will prevent deaths of innocents, they are well within their rights to make that decision.

I could care less what is popular with America. Slavery was popular, so what.

The reality is that the US Empire has governed over the most peaceful time period in the history of the world. Hate Americans or love Americans, its a fabrication of history to suggest that the US is any sort of "ticking time bomb."