Trivia question of the day

dyuen

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 03:14 AM)
Dotson won 111 games in his career, and with the White Sox, a lot more than 50....seems like he won around 97 games for the Sox.

The question was, "Who is the only pitcher in history to be drafted 7th overall and win 50 games in his career?"

Dotson is the only pitcher drafted 7th overall to win 50 games. Everyone else has won less.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 03:43 AM)
The question was, "Who is the only pitcher in history to be drafted 7th overall and win 50 games in his career?"

Dotson is the only pitcher drafted 7th overall to win 50 games. Everyone else has won less.

That is pretty amazing. I guess the conclusion is if you have the 7th pick, don't draft a pitcher.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)

If the White Sox were guaranteed the run of 1st round picks Larry Himes had, I'd be "all in" for a total rebuild. The tight end was genius pick #3.

Black Jack, Robin, Big Hurt and Young Alex. His 4 1st round picks as the White Sox GM. Then his team wins 94 games with the lowest payroll in baseball and he gets waxed.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
If the White Sox were guaranteed the run of 1st round picks Larry Himes had, I'd be "all in" for a total rebuild. The tight end was genius pick #3.

Black Jack, Robin, Big Hurt and Young Alex. His 4 1st round picks as the White Sox GM. Then his team wins 94 games with the lowest payroll in baseball and he gets waxed.

Because he was universally hated by almost all other GM's (and most others in baseball) and no one would makes deals with him.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 10, 2012 -> 05:05 PM)
Because he was universally hated by almost all other GM's (and most others in baseball) and no one would makes deals with him.

Plenty of GMs made deals with him. He was fired because JR couldn't stand him which is his right obviously. They used the point A to point B crap as the excuse, which, while perhaps true but we will never know, was beyond silly since during his tenure he had less cash to work with than any GM in the game. He really was the Andrew Freidman of his time. One deal this article doesn't mention is acquiring Roberto Hernandez for a guy who never played in the major leagues. He may be an ass, but Larry Himes was nothing but a baseball genius during his tenure with the White Sox. JR, Schueler, all White Sox fans owe his some gratitude for the job he did, and IIRC, JR did make some peace with him eventually.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/8/20/2374...s-built-the-sox

Also interesting their "feud" began when JR was hiring coaches, or at least a coach, and not the GM. This I don't remember. I've always thought JR has pretty much stayed out of the way and let the people he hired do the job they were hired to do. It is interesting JR let Schueler fire Hriniak.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-16/spo...8_1_larry-himes

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Plenty of GMs made deals with him. He was fired because JR couldn't stand him which is his right obviously. They used the point A to point B crap as the excuse, which, while perhaps true but we will never know, was beyond silly since during his tenure he had less cash to work with than any GM in the game. He really was the Andrew Freidman of his time. One deal this article doesn't mention is acquiring Roberto Hernandez for a guy who never played in the major leagues. He may be an ass, but Larry Himes was nothing but a baseball genius during his tenure with the White Sox. JR, Schueler, all White Sox fans owe his some gratitude for the job he did, and IIRC, JR did make some peace with him eventually.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2011/8/20/2374...s-built-the-sox

Also interesting their "feud" began when JR was hiring coaches, or at least a coach, and not the GM. This I don't remember. I've always thought JR has pretty much stayed out of the way and let the people he hired do the job they were hired to do. It is interesting JR let Schueler fire Hriniak.

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-09-16/spo...8_1_larry-himes

Plenty were also not done when he was with the Angels and Cubs as well as with the Sox because we was universally hated. Of course some deals will get done because everyone is trying to help themselves and he wanted to deal. however even his own staffs didn't like him which eventually got him fired from all of jobs. He was the Barry Bonds of GMs. Everyone tolerated him as long as it was going good but as soon as they could, the axe would come down.

I'm not saying he didn't do a good job. However, he was fired repeatedly and had to move on to many jobs because he just couldn't get along with anyone. I was just answering your question as to why he was fired when he appeared to be doing well. That happened at all his jobs.

Edited by ptatc