Jenks arrested on DUI charges

Sockin

Bobby Jenks posted bail Friday after being arrested on five charges, four of which that were related to driving under the influence.

According to Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal, Jenks was charged with one count of driving under the influence, three counts of driving under the influence and damage to property and one count of leaving the scene of a crash involving damage to property. The big right-hander dealt with lots of off-the-field issues during his minor league days but had been relatively well behaved since making to the majors. He was already slated to miss the first half of the season after undergoing two back surgeries.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
It's too bad to see Bobby regressing, both on the field and off the field.

This. I'm sure this is stemming from depression related to the injuries. The guy has a wife and kids too, which is who you have to feel the worst for.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
This is bad. Jenks has been tarnished among Sox fans for years now, but he was a World Series hero.

Hopefully he gets back on the wagon.

The guy had 2 good pitches but really seemingly is white trash... and would probably be moreso if he didn't have his talents that made teams invest into getting him help. It just boggles my mind that these guys get so much and still result in being such big losers.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)
The guy had 2 good pitches but really seemingly is white trash... and would probably be moreso if he didn't have his talents that made teams invest into getting him help. It just boggles my mind that these guys get so much and still result in being such big losers.

People handle pressure and fame in different ways. Why do you think actors with good upbringings like John Belushi or Chris Farley OD? It's the same for musicians and athletes. Away from the spotlight they need to feel that "fame" rush and find it elsewhere.

Jenks didn't even have a family growing up. I hate to think what I would have turned out if I had no one putting limits on me growing up.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:41 AM)

Please leave the racist derogatory teams out of this. Besides that, it is against Soxtalk rules.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
Please leave the racist derogatory teams out of this. Besides that, it is against Soxtalk rules.

Thank you...and completely uncalled for. I have no beefs with Bobby...always seemed like a decent guys with everyday problems like everyone else. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he was having some pretty severe depression problems as well. I hope he gets all these things sorted out and gets healthy too. He'll always be thought of fondly in my book.

Yeah, I think deep down, Bobby Jenks is a good person. That's how I thought about Dwight Gooden back in the day. Unfortunately, some of these guys just can't help themselves from making bad decisions. I hope he gets help before he kills himself or somebody else. He obviously can't use alcohol or drugs anymore.

Wow, hate to read this. This guy definitely has some problems. From an impersonal baseball perspective have to say that the White Sox got everything they could out of him. Cut ties at the right time. Red Sox though have some problems here. Thanks Bobby for helping us a championship. Hope that your situation improves.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
I really hope it wasn't Ozzie's family that knocked him off the wagon.

Maybe Oney was closer to the truth in his tweets about Bobby...('ungrateful punk'). If true that Ozzie & White Sox protected him, well I don't see anybody there in Boston who is going to protect him. Also, remember when Ozzie asked (last st) who had Bobby Jenks phone number on their phone...believe it was nobody.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
Wow, hate to read this. This guy definitely has some problems. From an impersonal baseball perspective have to say that the White Sox got everything they could out of him. Cut ties at the right time. Red Sox though have some problems here. Thanks Bobby for helping us a championship. Hope that your situation improves.

A very strong argument could be made for Bobby being Kenny's finest moment both in his beginning and his end.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
A very strong argument could be made for Bobby being Kenny's finest moment both in his beginning and his end.

The Sox either needed to be much more emphatic on dealing with his personal issues or needed to cut ties with him sooner. He was a key part of the 2010 meltdown. Maybe the key part of it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1833919.story

Red Sox pitcher Bobby Jenks has apologized for his arrest on DUI charges.

"I am embarrassed by the situation and apologize to my teammates and to the Red Sox organization for any distractions I may have caused," Jenks said in a statement released by the Red Sox on Sunday. "I still need to let the legal process run its course and until it does, I will not be able to make any further comment."

Early Friday morning, Jenks was arrested and charged with five misdemeanors, including leaving the scene of a crash and driving under the influence, according to the Lee County, Fla., sheriff's office, ESPN.com reported.

He was released on $4,250 bail, and is tentatively scheduled to appear in court on April 9.

According to the police report, the former White Sox closer told police, "I'm going to be honest with you, I was just leaving Babes because I hit a car. I just had to get out of there."

Babes is described as an adult-entertainment club.

A bouncer at Babes told police that a white Mercedes SUV driven by a man who fits Jenks' description pulled into the club's parking lot and hit a parked truck.

Jenks went 2-2 with a 6.32 earned run average for Boston last season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)

My pick has always been Estaban Loaiza. But Jenks runs a close second in my book.