Does the Hunger Games play to the 99% or Tea Party?

caulfield12

With the constant allusions to the decadence of the Capitol, it's hard not to see them as rich Republicans, lol.

On the other hand, Katniss' personal design crew are very artistic/avant garde/Hollywood-influenced, so the Santorum folks would argue they represent the decaying moral/cultural values of Washington and the popular culture at-large.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 04:35 PM)
Stupid. Why do some people have to look too far into some things?

Because it's an election year.

Same reason so much was made of Fahrenheit 9/11, although that obviously had little impact on the presidential election in the end.

It will be interesting to see what impact the Katherine Bigelow (Hurt Locker) movie about the hunt for bid Laden has in turning the election back towards a focus away from the economy and to foreign affairs, where Obama has been arguably more successful or at least popular in his decision-making process.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
How is Hunger Games the same as a documentary on the Bush administration? Actually, don't answer that. Don't need to go further with this.

Some people see meaning in everything. A book/movie is sometimes just a book/movie, not political symbolism.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
How is Hunger Games the same as a documentary on the Bush administration? Actually, don't answer that. Don't need to go further with this.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
Some people see meaning in everything. A book/movie is sometimes just a book/movie, not political symbolism.

THANK YOU.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
With the constant allusions to the decadence of the Capitol, it's hard not to see them as rich Republicans, lol.

On the other hand, Katniss' personal design crew are very artistic/avant garde/Hollywood-influenced, so the Santorum folks would argue they represent the decaying moral/cultural values of Washington and the popular culture at-large.

Not once while I was reading the book last year did I think "You know, this book is full of political allegory!"

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 04:42 PM)

Actually, I would argue nakedly pandering to your base, whether it's Michael Moore, Rush Limbaugh/Fox or Santorum ads morphing Iran's leader into Obama and back and forth alienate and energize more of their opponents than energizing people on your "own side" to vote.

But, as someone mentioned, everything can be politicized these days.

If more white people start wearing hoodies to prove they won't be attacked for impersonating "gangstas," that will be politicized, too.

Everything now is about sound bites and very little about substance. Gingrich is upset because Obama's trying to score points over Martin because of race...when isn't the whole point of the attack about race and racial profiling? Of course, the Republican idea is that it wouldn't be a tragedy on a national scale had a it been a white, Hispanic or Asian person that was killed, but I'm not sure I agree with that.

Then the whole Etch a Sketch thing. Ron Paul has ads criticizing Santorum and Gingrich for trying to score political points on a "gaffe" whereas everyone outside the Beltway understands what the advisor was trying to say.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Not once while I was reading the book last year did I think "You know, this book is full of political allegory!"

The writer, as the article has been mentioned, has been very outspoken about environmental issues, which is automatically a "green/liberal" shading to people who want to see it that way.

I just showed my 7th graders THE LORAX the other day. Movies like that, or THE IRON GIANT (anti-militarism/pro-peace or the local versus Federal approach to a problem), can just as easily be interpreted as political or politicized.

Of course here in China, the environment isn't a left-right political issue. There was a a proposal to have a lottery to raise money for protecting the environment, and it was quickly rejected on the grounds that it's the responsibility of the government, sitting on $3+ trillion in reserves, to address this problem directly.

Edited by caulfield12

Ha ha, maybe you're right Quinarvy.

And possibly we think it's our job as teachers to assume everything has a deeper meaning or connection, because if there's not one, why do they need our interpretations? Couldn't they just hire robots as teachers instead, if anything has a literal meaning and nothing is deeper or metaphorical?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 07:03 AM)
Ha ha, maybe you're right Quinarvy.

And possibly we think it's our job as teachers to assume everything has a deeper meaning or connection, because if there's not one, why do they need our interpretations? Couldn't they just hire robots as teachers instead, if anything has a literal meaning and nothing is deeper or metaphorical?

For reference, I've always thought this, mainly as a writer. Sometimes, I just write stuff because it's what my emotions want or it gives me joy.

And not everything needs a literal meaning. Lord of the Rings doesn't, Grapes of Wrath does.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 24, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)

i would put them as corrupt Obama Democrats. Wealthy, 'entitled', authoritarian, corrupt.

:usa

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
So what, I've said stuff like that before.

Now if I could just get some bribe money from Goldman and the rest of the Wall Street bailout bunch like Obama did, I will be set.

Do you really want to go there with Goldman?

Did you forget TARP and everything that happened under former Chairman Hank Paulson?

How he was allowed to crush Lehman Brothers but "rescue" his own?

Go ahead, read this article and tell me how the GOP doesn't look even worse.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/...-sachs-20110511

Look at the contributions for this election cycle. Over 90% from Wall Street are going to Romney this time. Hmmmm...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 25, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
Do you really want to go there with Goldman?

Yes.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-20/j...ama-donors.html

Wall Street, which gave Obama $16 million for his successful 2008 White House run, is opening its checkbook again for the president. The contributions helped Obama raise $21 million in February, including $6.5 million transferred from a joint fundraising committee with the Democratic National Committee.

The concept of the noble and just Obama presidency is nothing but a fairy tale perpetuated by a marketing campaign.

Did you forget TARP and everything that happened under former Chairman Hank Paulson?

Of course not.

Edited by mr_genius