The Official Thread for Joe Cowley and his Agenda.

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 07:11 AM)
None of those pitchers were AS bad as the stats you're throwing out there three weeks later look. When's the last time Danks pitched? Why didn't you include Quintana in there, who has pitched more innings that Danks recently?

Yes, I'm sure there was a psychological effect on the team knowing that Sale was going to be a part of the rotation again. When the team knows it has a chance to win nearly every game a starter's out there, it helps the offense to relax and not put so much pressure on themselves.

You can argue all you want that the White Sox would have gone 4-1 and would still be in first place without Sale, but you should put down the bong yourself if you actually believe that's true. He was the best pitcher in the AL this past month, no way we could have replaced that.

With Sale in the bullpen, 75% of the talk around here would still be about rebuilding.

Now we have good hitters? Why weren't they good last year? Which is it?

Yeah you're right Konerko,Dunn,De Aza, Viciedo and Beckham and Rios decided fo hit when Sale was returned to the rotation. No chance they would have hit otherwise. We should just ignore the thread you started earlier this season bashing 4 of these guys for not hitting when Sale was in the rotation.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:32 AM)
Because Sale not being in the rotation in the future, at that time, WAS a dramatic event. Perhaps the most important one of the entire season.

It necessitated one of the longest threads of the season here.

I could find 20-30 articles from reputable baseball writers questioning the White Sox as well. It's not like I was the only one criticizing Williams.

This McNeil article was written in the middle of one of the best strings this team has been on all season long, for what purpose?

I don't think you can find a single comment in recent weeks where I have overreacted to anything, but you're welcome to point them out to me as well.

Again, focusing on one thread, not your body of work.

And the "i dont overreact" comment is hilarious. All one needs to do is go into any gamethread. "AJ hitting a go ahead double in the first inning instead of a homerun was the turning point" ring any bells?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 10:18 PM)
Yeah you're right Konerko,Dunn,De Aza, Viciedo and Beckham and Rios decided fo hit when Sale was returned to the rotation. No chance they would have hit otherwise. We should just ignore the thread you started earlier this season bashing 4 of these guys for not hitting when Sale was in the rotation.

Once again, you believe we'd STILL be in first place had Chris Sale missed his last 5 starts and been posing as the closer instead?

True/false?

You believe the White Sox wouldn't be in rebuilding mode with Chris Sale in the bullpen for the entire season and foreseeable future?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
Once again, you believe we'd STILL be in first place had Chris Sale missed his last 5 starts and been posing as the closer instead?

True/false?

You believe the White Sox wouldn't be in rebuilding mode with Chris Sale in the bullpen for the entire season and foreseeable future?

At worse. 1 game worse which would leave them a half a game out clearly not the nowhere near first you claim and if you haven't noticed they are rebuilding. Sale should make you his agent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:00 PM)
At worse. 1 game worse which would leave them a half a game out clearly not the nowhere near first you claim and if you haven't noticed they are rebuilding. Sale should make you his agent.

What was the record of White Sox 5th starters from 2001-2004?

So Dylan Axelrod, Terry Doyle or Eric Stults was going to go 4-2? Really?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 05:06 PM)
What was the record of White Sox 5th starters from 2001-2004?

So Dylan Axelrod, Terry Doyle or Eric Stults was going to go 4-2? Really?

:lolhitting

The answer to question 1, what does that matter now?

Question 2,

Yes they would. The Sox scored 6,6,4,2 and 10 runs in those starts. They didn't need shutouts, but I'll take the offense riding the inspiration of Chris Sale returning to the starting rotation as the reason they scored these runs. GMAB.

You defintely are the Soxtalk version of Mitt Romney. As Frank says, no doubt about it. Just flip flop. Don't try to justify it with things that aren't connected.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
The answer to question 1, what does that matter now?

Question 2,

Yes they would. The Sox scored 6,6,4,2 and 10 runs in those starts. They didn't need shutouts, but I'll take the offense riding the inspiration of Chris Sale returning to the starting rotation as the reason they scored these runs. GMAB.

You defintely are the Soxtalk version of Mitt Romney. As Frank says, no doubt about it. Just flip flop. Don't try to justify it with things that aren't connected.

Coming from the same person who says there's no connection between the results of the offense and who the hitting coach is, then tries to act like Greg Walker miraculously transformed the Braves single-handedly from this offseason's sense of desolation, lol.

The White Sox would be 3rd in the AL in runs scored if he was still the hitting coach, too. Sure.

You can believe that if you want. It can't be proven to be true or false subjunctively.

I'll believe that the White Sox play better when Chris Sale is on the mound, expect to win, and the results would have been dramatically different with any of our minor leaguers out there in his place.

But I'll take the Romney comment as a compliment, since Bill Clinton was also commonly accused of the same thing and will go down as one of the most successful presidents in recent history. It's called adjusting your viewpoint/goals/expectations as a result of new evidence.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
Coming from the same person who says there's no connection between the results of the offense and who the hitting coach is, then tries to act like Greg Walker miraculously transformed the Braves single-handedly from this offseason's sense of desolation, lol.

The White Sox would be 3rd in the AL in runs scored if he was still the hitting coach, too. Sure.

You can believe that if you want. It can't be proven to be true or false subjunctively.

I'll believe that the White Sox play better when Chris Sale is on the mound, expect to win, and the results would have been dramatically different with any of our minor leaguers out there in his place.

Again with Greg Walker. You do need help. Obviously Chris Sale is the reason the Sox started scoring runs. I'm agreeing with you. We'll just ignore April when they couldn't score at all and he was in the rotation. You're truly a baseball genius.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 08:30 AM)
Again with Greg Walker. You do need help. Obviously Chris Sale is the reason the Sox started scoring runs. I'm agreeing with you. We'll just ignore April when they couldn't score at all and he was in the rotation. You're truly a baseball genius.

Obfuscating again.

So Nestor Molina would be 4-2 or 5-1 if he took Sale's starts, too?

In your idea, yes.

It's the same reason you're going to argue that the White Sox could have just trotted out any minor leaguer in August, September, October, April and May in 2005/2006 and won all of Jose Contrera's starts as well.

You believe there's no link to who the starting pitcher is and how the team performs independently.

I believe there's a synergy between the two.

But whatever.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
Obfuscating again.

So Nestor Molina would be 4-2 if he took Sale's starts, too?

In your idea, yes.

It's the same reason you're going to argue that the White Sox could have just trotted out any minor leaguer in August, September, October, April and May in 2005/2006 and won all of Jose Contrera's starts as well.

You believe there's no link to who the starting pitcher is and how the team performs independently.

I believe there's a synergy between the two.

But whatever.

Yeah, Nestor Molina. Whatever is right. You are making yourself look like an even bigger fool. And I don't think there is any link to Chris Sale returning to the rotation and Dunn, Rios, Konerko, Beckham, AJP and De Aza hitting well. None. Sale doesn't even appear in 80% of White Sox games.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2012 -> 09:10 AM)
Yeah, Nestor Molina. Whatever is right. You are making yourself look like an even bigger fool. And I don't think there is any link to Chris Sale returning to the rotation and Dunn, Rios, Konerko, Beckham, AJP and De Aza hitting well. None. Sale doesn't even appear in 80% of White Sox games.

The link is Chris Sale is the best pitcher in the AL right now.

Jose Contreras was the best pitcher in baseball as well in 2005-2006.

You believe the White Sox can just trot out any minor league journeyman and would have won those those same starts...and had the same record, or a nearly identical one.

If that was the case, the 2002-2004 White Sox just won three more AL Central championships thanks to your logic...because those teams had all the offense in the world and still lost to the Twins. How can you explain that, when the Twins were clearly inferior, and the White Sox were much better offensively in those years than they have been in 2012.

If Chris Sale wasn't in the starting rotation still, the White Sox wouldn't be in first place and would still be a lot closer to rebuilding than adding pieces for the stretch drive.

Who would you have started in those 5 games....this pitcher who was going to go 5-1 or 4-2?

Should be an interesting answer.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
The link is Chris Sale is the best pitcher in the AL right now.

Jose Contreras was the best pitcher in baseball as well in 2005-2006.

You believe the White Sox can just trot out any minor league journeyman and would have won those those same starts...and had the same record, or a nearly identical one.

If that was the case, the 2002-2004 White Sox just won three more AL Central championships thanks to your logic...because those teams had all the offense in the world and still lost to the Twins. How can you explain that, when the Twins were clearly inferior, and the White Sox were much better offensively in those years than they have been in 2012.

If Chris Sale wasn't in the starting rotation still, the White Sox wouldn't be in first place and would still be a lot closer to rebuilding than adding pieces for the stretch drive.

Who would you have started in those 5 games....this pitcher who was going to go 5-1 or 4-2?

Should be an interesting answer.

2003 Esteban Loaisa may have been the best pitcher in baseball. He lost 2 games 1-0 and another 2-1. The pitcher doesn't have to go 5-1, the team just has to win the game. When the team scores 6,6,4,2,10 in those 5 starts, there's a pretty good chance 3 are wins and getting 4 against Seattle is usually a win. In fact, the White Sox, even with starters with inflated ERAs have a great record scoring 4 or more runs. But ignore facts, try to impress people throwin out some big word, and maybe they will think you must know what you are talking about. Its clear to quite a few, you don't.

Cowley's on the Score till 11 with Joe O.

Oh yeah and-

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Kenny Williams has inexplicably become a topic of discussion. Kind of interesting stuff, but I'm not sure the Score does weekend show podcasts.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
Cowley's on the Score till 11 with Joe O.

Oh yeah and-

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Kenny Williams has inexplicably become a topic of discussion. Kind of interesting stuff, but I'm not sure the Score does weekend show podcasts.

Cowley's talking White Sox? He's been writing White Sox. Its funny, he said they would be irrelevant.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 02:16 AM)
Yeah, EVERY SOX fan knows the downside to this team, we're all just kind of along for the ride as long as it lasts and enjoying the fact that we're playing meaningful games at this point in the season (as opposed to last year)...but it's almost like it was specifically written to rain on everyone's parade.

I think that most Sox fans realize this and that this is the biggest reason that attendance stinks, even though they have played fairly well recently as a team. We all just have this feeling, like most of the last dozen years or so, that this team is eventually just going to fall apart when it comes time to play games that will decide the division.

On the other hand, as opposed to last year, when we were the "talented team" that was supposed to wake up and cruise to a division title, why is it that most still feel that Detroit is the favorite to win this division. Like the Sox last year, they could very well "snooze" the season away.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 08:29 PM)
I think that most Sox fans realize this and that this is the biggest reason that attendance stinks, even though they have played fairly well recently as a team. We all just have this feeling, like most of the last dozen years or so, that this team is eventually just going to fall apart when it comes time to play games that will decide the division.

On the other hand, as opposed to last year, when we were the "talented team" that was supposed to wake up and cruise to a division title, why is it that most still feel that Detroit is the favorite to win this division. Like the Sox last year, they could very well "snooze" the season away.

And you have the evidence of 2000, 2005 and 2008 that when the Sox were leading the division on June 1st, they went on to take the division title.

The only time this didn't happen was 2004.

Of course, many have LONG memories about 2003, 2004, 2006 and the 2009-10-11 seasons. So there's going to be some natural and healthy skepticism, even if our old nemesis, the Twins, are gone (and I'm not even sure we can really say that with the way they've been playing recently, at the very least, they could play spoilers, along with KC).

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:29 PM)

The team has had so many stinkers at home (including this year with the losing record at home) that a lot of diehard fans have stopped going. That's my take. It's easy to justify not going. Let's see, hubby, wife, 2 kids go and spend 120 on tickets, 32 bucks on beer (two each), 10 bucks on pop, 10 bucks on popcorn, 20 bucks on parking, 40 bucks on merchandise. That equals about 230 bucks. They can go to a minor league game for a baseball fix for what, 40-60 bucks total?

I mean, I also think the Sox will fade, but I actually would want to go to a game right now if I lived in Chicago.

The team has had so many stinkers at home (including this year with the losing record at home) that a lot of diehard fans have stopped going. That's my take. It's easy to justify not going. Let's see, hubby, wife, 2 kids go and spend 120 on tickets, 32 bucks on beer (two each), 10 bucks on pop, 10 bucks on popcorn, 20 bucks on parking, 40 bucks on merchandise. That equals about 230 bucks. They can go to a minor league game for a baseball fix for what, 40-60 bucks total?

I mean, I also think the Sox will fade, but I actually would want to go to a game right now if I lived in Chicago.]

http://www.tbonesbaseball.com/

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)

I mean, I also think the Sox will fade, but I actually would want to go to a game right now if I lived in Chicago.

I'm shocked that you would take this position, Greg. Have you stated this position before? I don't think I had any idea you were even interested in the cost of attending our games! Especially considering that you live so close to the ballpark, and would otherwise be attending so many games if not for the price-gouging scandal in our midst! In fact, I heard that JR was actually seen holding a large Irish family at gunpoint outside of a local church forcing them to fork over their grocery money!

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
I'm shocked that you would take this position, Greg. Have you stated this position before? I don't think I had any idea you were even interested in the cost of attending our games! Especially considering that you live so close to the ballpark, and would otherwise be attending so many games if not for the price-gouging scandal in our midst! In fact, I heard that JR was actually seen holding a large Irish family at gunpoint outside of a local church forcing them to fork over their grocery money!

A little harsh, but damn.