2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
Scrolls down, sees #1, smiles, doesn't bother looking at the rest of the list.

I know you havent experienced it in a long time, but theres no where else to go but down. High expectations make failures hurt so much more. There are quite a few Big Ten schools in the top ten on that way too early list. My pick for the team that challenges IU the most is MSU. OSU is still a year away from another run, but will be decent. Our best recruit from last year barely saw the floor at all this season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 10:16 AM)
I know you havent experienced it in a long time, but theres no where else to go but down. High expectations make failures hurt so much more. There are quite a few Big Ten schools in the top ten on that way too early list. My pick for the team that challenges IU the most is MSU. OSU is still a year away from another run, but will be decent. Our best recruit from last year barely saw the floor at all this season.

It's the big ten. I expect that the best team in the conference rarely wins the conference, because they're facing off against something between a 4 headed monster and a 6 headed monster most years, and things are close enough that a few foul calls or a bad shooting day winds up determining the tournament. But you get some stellar games to watch.

The real fun for the B10, IMO, winds up being in the tourney, because if the conference is on...the teams have wound up beating the crap out of each other for 2.5 months before the tourney starts, 1/2 of them wind up ranked lower than they should be because they had the audacity to lose to a top seed at home, and then they hit the tourney and the competition level actually drops for the first 2-3 games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
It's the big ten. I expect that the best team in the conference rarely wins the conference, because they're facing off against something between a 4 headed monster and a 6 headed monster most years, and things are close enough that a few foul calls or a bad shooting day winds up determining the tournament. But you get some stellar games to watch.

I fully expect alot of teams beating up on each other, especially with home court so lop-sided. I just hope that doesnt weaken the seeds in the tourney like it has in the past. It should be a great couple of seasons coming up in the conference.

Ha, you read my mind with your edit.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
@RJinVegas: 2013 NCAA favorites: Kentucky 6-1, Baylor 8-1, Louisville 9-1, Indiana 10-1, Ohio St 10-1, NC 10-1, Syr 11-1

Going to be fascinating to see how Crean does with a team that actually has expectations.

George Marshall (red shirt frosh) should play pg, they also have Traevon Jackson and Brust. Bo's system really isnt pg based so good chance you see a guy like Gasser in the PG role, etc.

Taylor was a great player, but his on the ball play wasnt exactly the norm for Wisconsin.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
George Marshall (red shirt frosh) should play pg, they also have Traevon Jackson and Brust. Bo's system really isnt pg based so good chance you see a guy like Gasser in the PG role, etc.

Taylor was a great player, but his on the ball play wasnt exactly the norm for Wisconsin.

Marshall went to my HS. Pretty much the first player ever to go on to play in college from there.

He has MSU way too high in my opinion. Green was as important to his team as any player I can think of. There's are several highly regarded recruits there, but not a lot of proven production. I think they MIGHT be good if guys like Appling, Dawson and Payne progress and Harris is a stud right away, but that's not exactly a given. top-10 is a stretch for me.

Indiana is loaded, OSU would be up there if Sullinger is back, though not so much if he goes (sorry Rock, too many question marks beyond Thomas, Craft and Smith). Michigan would have a really good starting lineup if Burke and Hardaway stay and you know Wisconsin is going to finish in the top-4 by default.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
Marshall went to my HS. Pretty much the first player ever to go on to play in college from there.

Didn't Brooks have twins that went somewhere this year.?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 04:23 PM)
Maybe he'll teach some defense???

I think with the serious influx of athleticism, the defense will be a major, major upgrade. The offense was already probably the best in the country, definitely top 3. As the as the team chemistry continues to be this good, they should find themselves in it to the end. Crean has done a hell of a job. No one expected this, especially this year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
I think with the serious influx of athleticism, the defense will be a major, major upgrade. The offense was already probably the best in the country, definitely top 3. As the as the team chemistry continues to be this good, they should find themselves in it to the end. Crean has done a hell of a job. No one expected this, especially this year.

Big Ten...probably. Country? Kentucky was a better offensive team than us.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Apr 4, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
Big Ten...probably. Country? Kentucky was a better offensive team than us.

UK was good, but as far as efficiency, not sure. We had a bad defense, and UK did what they should have done with 6 first rounders against us. They also went 35-37 from the line.... We put up 90 on them and they were considered one of the best defensive teams in the country. Either way, it seemed we could score at all if we wanted too. Hope that chemistry continues.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)

Indiana's offense had the "Orlando Magic" flaw to it...they could beat anyone when the 3 ball was dropping, but if they had an off night and a team played hard on defense, they could fall to teams they shouldn't lose to, even at home.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:32 PM)
He has MSU way too high in my opinion. Green was as important to his team as any player I can think of. There's are several highly regarded recruits there, but not a lot of proven production. I think they MIGHT be good if guys like Appling, Dawson and Payne progress and Harris is a stud right away, but that's not exactly a given. top-10 is a stretch for me.

Indiana is loaded, OSU would be up there if Sullinger is back, though not so much if he goes (sorry Rock, too many question marks beyond Thomas, Craft and Smith). Michigan would have a really good starting lineup if Burke and Hardaway stay and you know Wisconsin is going to finish in the top-4 by default.

How come OSU's young guys are question marks but everyone else's are expected to be contributors immediately as freshman? OSU has just as many McD's AA's sitting on the bench about the make the leap towards their second year than any of the other teams in the conference have coming in. Second, the top recruit of last class didnt join the team until halfway through the year and got zero run. This was the youngest team in the conference this year, and in 2 years should be VERY good. Now if Tony Parker picks OSU this is all a whole new ballgame.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 3, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)

Stats say IU was top 20. But once again 158th in defense. Bringing in young players doesnt really help teams on defense typically unless they are Davis or Craft type players.