2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Pretty much could be said for all of us.

It's extremely sad but Rick has taken 3 or 4 leave of absences from coaching to lose weight and get his health in check and he never has.

I feel terrible for his family but when I heard the news I wasn't surprised at all.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it happened I just remember a lot of fans saying it wasn't ND's fault and that the kid shouldn't have gone up there or something.

And when they took responsibility, it was like "our bad" and that was that. The mere fact that they continued practice like nothing happened was a disgrace.

Fans say lots of things.

And no, the university didn't just say "our bad" and that was that. They reached a settlement with the family, the family used the money to start a charity, and ND coaches and administrators have shown up to support the charity.

Not quite the same thing, but wasn't it you that brought up her "mental health" issues in an earlier post?

She took Effexor for depression (as did I and thousands of others). Why do the dome shiners never fail to cite that disparagingly when defending their beloved ND? Because depressed people are prone to fabricate criminal allegations? Or to disparage the victim and imply she's crazy?

Prince Shembo will go on to play in the NFL and make millions because he was lucky enough to [allegedly] prey upon a depressed girl whom he [allegedly] made so much more depressed that she killed herself, and thus could not testify agaisnt him.

Cheer, Cheer for old Notre Dame.

Edit: "Allegedly" inserted so that the Board won't get sued or shut down.

I mentioned her depression as a factor in why she killed herself, and that in turn is why there was no chance charges could be filed. It wasn't meant as a character attack in any way, it wasn't meant as an attack against the truthfulness of her claims.

I honestly believe he did what she claimed he did, but for any person, let alone a football player, the facts that exist aren't getting anybody convicted, or even sent to trial.

But you are all trying very, very hard to set up a reverse standard, that somehow Notre Dame football players should be held accountable for things that you and I would never be held accountable for.

FYI, the term "rape" is beginning to take on an expanded definition since people (primarily men) are preoccupied with the requirement for penetration for an act to be rape. Therefore, any other act is not in the same league. In truth, all these acts are different and just because a man doesn't put his penis in you doesn't mean you won't live in paralyzing fear that the next time they will. If things went down as she described, she would have forever lived in fear that yet another man or that same man would use her body against her will. She was willing to die instead of face that fear. This is just like politics where points that might get legitimately debated are completely nullified because one side is completely insensitive in their discussion of it.

Well, if one side wants to make a legitimate point, then maybe they could try doing it without exaggerating the allegations.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
It's extremely sad but Rick has taken 3 or 4 leave of absences from coaching to lose weight and get his health in check and he never has.

I feel terrible for his family but when I heard the news I wasn't surprised at all.

A hell of a ball coach, and from what I hear, an even better guy. He was a major part of my college hoops memories growing up. In recent years, I found myself watching far too many SLU games for comfort. Rest in peace Big Rick

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo

Kentucky dropped from 8th to unranked. It's the largest drop from ranked to unranked since the AP poll went to 25 teams in 1990.

26th in the AP, 19th in the coaches.

Incredibly stupid. I know that they will come back, but polls are a snap shot of the right now. 4-3 beating one OK team and losing to anyone decent? Yeah, shouldn't be ranked. Or even receiving that many votes.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 12:41 PM)
26th in the AP, 19th in the coaches.

Incredibly stupid. I know that they will come back, but polls are a snap shot of the right now. 4-3 beating one OK team and losing to anyone decent? Yeah, shouldn't be ranked. Or even receiving that many votes.

Illinois at 14 (ap) and 13 (coaches) :headbang Beat Gonzaga and they're top 10 next week.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Illinois at 14 (ap) and 13 (coaches) :headbang Beat Gonzaga and they're top 10 next week.

For sure. Even if they lose, still be ranked, probably 20ish depending on everyone else.

No way in hell I expect them to be there in a couple months, but it's awesome for now.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 3, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
I think Gonzaga is going to be a big wakeup call for the Illini. They play tough 3 point defense and Illinois seems to thrive on that shot going down to win games, if they win my expectations will have gone way up.

I agree. To this point, Illinois' reliance on the three-ball reminds me too much of last year. And to put the rankings in perspective, I certainly wouldn't be optimistic about an Illini v. Kentucky contest.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
I agree. To this point, Illinois' reliance on the three-ball reminds me too much of last year. And to put the rankings in perspective, I certainly wouldn't be optimistic about an Illini v. Kentucky contest.

I don't know, a college team relying on the 3 really isn't the worst thing in the world.

I'm very scared of Illinois for Mizzou. Unless Jabari Brown comes and shows great handles, we really are prone to turnovers, and aren't really creating many. Very impressed by Illinois realizing the athletes they have and unleashing them.