2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2013 -> 09:47 AM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 56m

Florida Gulf Coast looking to defy numbers-- No. 15 seeds are 0-6 all-time in Round of 32, losing by an average of 15.0 PPG

I think they can hang with SDst, if not win.

The Mountain West was the #1 RPI conference and their 5 teams lost to a #1, 12, 13, 14, 15 seed.

RPI is a terrible way to judge teams/conferences. The secret to having a great RPI is to load up your nonconference schedule with a bunch of teams that are just a tiny bit worse than you, so you can still have a great record but a non-terrible SOS.

If the tournament were re-seeded:

MIDWEST

1 Louisville vs 4 Florida-Gulf Coast

2 Ohio State vs 3 Arizona

WEST

1 Miami vs 4 Oregon

2 Michigan State vs 3 Syracuse

SOUTH

1 Kansas vs 4 Wichita State

2 Florida vs 3 Michigan

EAST

1 Indiana vs 4 LaSalle

2 Duke vs 3 Marquette

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 12:04 PM)
Not really a surprise, he was average at best.

There are rumors they have a verbal acceptance from another couch now, so I bet that eliminates Shaka.

I'm guessing Gregg Marshall or Flip Saunders. I think Flip would be a step in the wrong direction though.

Shaka lost out on deciding not to come to Illinois and the Big Ten. Though I read on a message board this week rumors that he was actually much closer to accepting the job than previously thought and his wife basically talked him out of it at the least minute. At this point just be content where you're at, making the tournament and being a cinderella favorite every year.

I mean, is the extra million really worth the added pressure of having to win at a program like UCLA? Multiple final fours and conference titles wasn't enough for that delusional fan base.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
There are rumors they have a verbal acceptance from another couch now, so I bet that eliminates Shaka.

I'm guessing Gregg Marshall or Flip Saunders. I think Flip would be a step in the wrong direction though.

I bet Marshall could get a bigger gig than Minnesota.

I think the NCAA tournament is eventually going to expand to 96 teams, and this is my idea for how to do it:

Selection: 2 automatic bids from each conference in the form of the regular season and tournament champions (if one team wins both, 2nd place in reg season gets 2nd bid). This leaves 32 at-large selections (potentially dropping to 30 if the Great West ever attains AQ status)

Seeding: There will be 24 sites for the 1st-2nd rounds. Top 24 teams are #1 seeds. Next 24 are #2 seeds. Next 24 are #3 seeds. Last 24 are #4 seeds. Seeds are placed at sites in order to minimize travel, with the exceptions that two teams from the same conference cannot go to the same site, and teams other than #1 seeds are not allowed to play where they are the host. There is no pre-determined bracket matching up the winners at the 24 sites.

1st-2nd round games at the sites are played Wednesday-Saturday, Thursday-Saturday, or Friday-Sunday.

Sunday night the 24 surviving teams are seeded into four 6-team regionals based on their ranking at the time of their original seeding. Top two seeds in each region get byes in the 3rd round. Again the primary objective is to minimize travel but no regional will have two teams from the same conference unless a conference has more than four teams remaining, and no team may play at a site where they are the host. Two regionals are played Wednesday-Friday-Sunday and the other two are played Thursday-Saturday-Monday.

Final Four would remain the same as it is now.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 25, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
I think the NCAA tournament is eventually going to expand to 96 teams, and this is my idea for how to do it:

Selection: 2 automatic bids from each conference in the form of the regular season and tournament champions (if one team wins both, 2nd place in reg season gets 2nd bid). This leaves 32 at-large selections (potentially dropping to 30 if the Great West ever attains AQ status)

Seeding: There will be 24 sites for the 1st-2nd rounds. Top 24 teams are #1 seeds. Next 24 are #2 seeds. Next 24 are #3 seeds. Last 24 are #4 seeds. Seeds are placed at sites in order to minimize travel, with the exceptions that two teams from the same conference cannot go to the same site, and teams other than #1 seeds are not allowed to play where they are the host. There is no pre-determined bracket matching up the winners at the 24 sites.

1st-2nd round games at the sites are played Wednesday-Saturday, Thursday-Saturday, or Friday-Sunday.

Sunday night the 24 surviving teams are seeded into four 6-team regionals based on their ranking at the time of their original seeding. Top two seeds in each region get byes in the 3rd round. Again the primary objective is to minimize travel but no regional will have two teams from the same conference unless a conference has more than four teams remaining, and no team may play at a site where they are the host. Two regionals are played Wednesday-Friday-Sunday and the other two are played Thursday-Saturday-Monday.

Final Four would remain the same as it is now.

No thanks, I'll take it as it is. The "movement" to go to 96 has been shut down immediately when brought up. It was hard enough to find quality teams this year for a 68 team field.