2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Van Pelt and Russillo, two of the brighter guys on sports radio, were discussing UCLA with Andy Katz and how these "mid-tier" jobs are really not viewed by many coaches as a lesser job than the first tier jobs...they might make 30% less or so, but they are able to win their league most years, they are comfortable with whom they work, they don't have the huge spotlight on them, and so generally they have a very high quality of life.

Who needs all that pressure and scrutiny, and are those jobs really better?

On the radio this week from one of the ex-coaches that is on XM radio ch. 91, talked to Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. He asked him about his interest (this was not an on air interview) in UCLA or other jobs. His response was something to the effect of:

"Why would I want to leave here? I live in Wichita, KS and make seven figures. I have the best job in my league, support of the administration and we charter everywhere we go. I have use of a charter plane to take my family on vacation if I want. I have every opportunity to win here."

Granted some may argue Wichita is not heaven, but I think he was referring to the amount of money he makes vs. the cost of living. We'll see how well the league does without Creighton and whether he'll feel as good 3-4 years from now. But he has a good point and I think it is a very good example of what you were referring to.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 10:55 AM)
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanCBS 21m

Kentucky announces Willie Cauley-Stein to return to school and Archie Goodwin is headed to NBA Draft.

Their backcourt has worked itself out, though the frontcourt still looks extremely crowded.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball...nas-sean-miller

Rush, according to a source within the Pac-12 officiating group, told a group of referees on the Thursday of the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas that he would give them $5,000 or a trip to Cancun if they either "rang him up" or "ran him," meaning hit Miller with a technical or toss him out of the game. Rush then reiterated during a Friday morning meeting, according to one referee in attendance, that officials should take similar action against Miller if he did anything on Friday in the Pac-12 semifinals against UCLA.

Referee Michael Irving -- who sources confirmed was in the room with Rush on Friday -- hit Miller with a controversial technical with 4:37 left in the Pac-12 semifinals against UCLA. The Bruins wound up winning the game, 66-64. Miller was upset about a double-dribble call on Arizona point guard Mark Lyons, arguing that a UCLA player had gotten his hand on the ball before Lyons picked it up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 02:53 AM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--usc-hi...-044628441.html

FGCU's Enfield and supermodel wife to USC.

Hope he kicks Alford's ass in recruiting and on the court.

It almost sucks for him that FGCU made it further in the tournament. I wonder if UCLA would have called him instead of Alford. USC is not a good basketball school.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:37 AM)
It almost sucks for him that FGCU made it further in the tournament. I wonder if UCLA would have called him instead of Alford. USC is not a good basketball school.

Eh, he's only been at FGCU for two years...jumping to USC seems plenty big...

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 09:57 AM)
Hope FGCU can keep things rolling, losing the coach that got them this far could totally negate this run they went on.

Yea, I can't fault Enfield for leaving because I'm sure it's probably 10x the salary he was making, but it sucks for FGCU who probably can't recruit a solidified HC anyways and will need to throw the dice once again.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Yea, I can't fault Enfield for leaving because I'm sure it's probably 10x the salary he was making, but it sucks for FGCU who probably can't recruit a solidified HC anyways and will need to throw the dice once again.

He was making $157,000 at FGCU.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
And somehow the AD didn't fire him after watching that stuff. Have fun being fired with him.

So Rutgers, do you have more issues to come clean with before joining the B10?

This may be more towards the Illini fans here, but thought Groce's speech starting at around the 21:50 mark was pretty great.

Also a pretty crazy look into the emotions after a Tourney loss.

Again, starts around the 21:50 mark.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 2, 2013 -> 05:15 PM)
And somehow the AD didn't fire him after watching that stuff. Have fun being fired with him.

The AD's definitely gone, but hell, if I were the president right now I'd be worried. He saw the video in the fall too. When the governor is pissed, you have problems.