2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College refs are remarkably bad at their jobs. Clemson just got called for a charge with about 13 seconds left down 1 on what was clearly a foul on the defense. Just a note to college refs out there but if you call that a block every time you will get the call right the vast majority of the time. I really wish they would stop rewarding players for sliding over at the last second, it is terrible defense.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
College refs are remarkably bad at their jobs. Clemson just got called for a charge with about 13 seconds left down 1 on what was clearly a foul on the defense. Just a note to college refs out there but if you call that a block every time you will get the call right the vast majority of the time. I really wish they would stop rewarding players for sliding over at the last second, it is terrible defense.

Not to mention dangerous.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)

I dont know if it was clearly a defensive foul bc you can be moving and still get the charge call but it was funny to hear Jay Williams cry about it since he comes from a program that gets 75% of those calls.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 08:51 PM)
I dont know if it was clearly a defensive foul bc you can be moving and still get the charge call but it was funny to hear Jay Williams cry about it since he comes from a program that gets 75% of those calls.

He wasn't close to being in position and slid under the offensive player.

Satisfying win tonight, thank you for making that as easy as it should be. Essentially locks up the tournament assuming 2 wins at home vs Neb and PSU. @ Iowa would help seeding, as would a win in BTT, looking like 6 or 7 seed for that.

If Brandon Paul could stop playing like an ass-clown, that would be great. There's always a few "wtf" moments per game. Chucked 3's for no reason (and resulting in air balls or bricks), bad turnovers, etc. At least Abrams is playing well now, makes up for a lot of it.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 17, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
Satisfying win tonight, thank you for making that as easy as it should be. Essentially locks up the tournament assuming 2 wins at home vs Neb and PSU. @ Iowa would help seeding, as would a win in BTT, looking like 6 or 7 seed for that.

If Brandon Paul could stop playing like an ass-clown, that would be great. There's always a few "wtf" moments per game. Chucked 3's for no reason (and resulting in air balls or bricks), bad turnovers, etc. At least Abrams is playing well now, makes up for a lot of it.

I think they can get a 6 seed if they go 3-2 and don't embarrass themselves too badly against Michigan or OSU.

If they can beat OSU, I'd say 5 seed.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 05:21 AM)
Refs didn't lose that game. Questionable maybe, but you were up 7 with 40 seconds left.

I'd still pick IllSt to win Arch Madness right now.

Well it certainly changed the entire momentum at the end. Still should have won and Wichita still needed to make every shot they took. I won't be too mad unless we have to play on Thursday because of this.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 02:54 AM)
College basketball officials work regionally, not by conference.

Well then refs located south and east are doing a miserable job in SEC conference games. They will let games be very physical and then randomly start calling all that physical play for one game ,and then go back to being lax. Nobody seems to know what they are going to get. You will either see 60 fouls or 15.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
After the last 2 weeks, i'm beginning to think Illinois has a shot at getting to 10 wins. PSU, NEB, Iowa and OSU and a loss to Michigan on the road. Even with a loss at OSU or Iowa, 9-9 would be pretty great from where they started.

That's pretty optimistic. I'll be thrilled if they just get to .500 by taking care of business at home at knocking off Iowa. At least one in the conf. tourney would be nice, too.