2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out that one of the reprimanded officials from the Monday night ISU-KU game was also on a crew during an Iowa State - Kansas game in 2004 in which Iowa State was at the line shooting two free throws and Kansas rebounded the first free throw, went the length of the court and hit a three. The officials let the basket stand before ISU shot the second free throw.

There's still some bitterness.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 06:37 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2764080:date=Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:42 PM:name=Jake)-->
QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 08:42 PM)
<!--quotec-->Illinois only lost a single game in this conference one year, and it's because some bench player arsehole took PEDs or amphetamine salts or something

Undefeated until, almost literally, the last possible second.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 08:45 AM)
Turns out that one of the reprimanded officials from the Monday night ISU-KU game was also on a crew during an Iowa State - Kansas game in 2004 in which Iowa State was at the line shooting two free throws and Kansas rebounded the first free throw, went the length of the court and hit a three. The officials let the basket stand before ISU shot the second free throw.

There's still some bitterness.

hahaha how does that even happen? how do they keep their jobs after that?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 26, 2013 -> 11:16 PM)
I'm not disagreeing with you, but it's so hard to judge teams like that. Play almost nobody, and when they have, they've lost.

They beat Ok State(who was the best team on their schedule, not Ill or Butler) and KState. And like I said, I'm certainly not saying they should be ranked number 1 or even a 1 seed at this point but my eye tells me they're one of, if not the best team in the country. They have scorers/shooters from every position on the floor, they're extremely efficient offensively, their defense has improved big time as the season has went on, they're big, they're fast as hell, they're really, really good.

And don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying but from what I've seen, they're as good as anyone.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
I still remember the loud, collective groan that went up in the dorms when that happened.

Beats seeing a live floor rush and having OSU fans yell at me until my car door closed.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)
They beat Ok State(who was the best team on their schedule, not Ill or Butler) and KState. And like I said, I'm certainly not saying they should be ranked number 1 or even a 1 seed at this point but my eye tells me they're one of, if not the best team in the country. They have scorers/shooters from every position on the floor, they're extremely efficient offensively, their defense has improved big time as the season has went on, they're big, they're fast as hell, they're really, really good.

And don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying but from what I've seen, they're as good as anyone.

So they are 2-2 in those games. It's just so hard to judge, and yes you have to rely on the eye test. They are very similar to Florida in that regard...

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:30 AM)

I don't think you can say OK State is the best team they've faced like it's a fact. I think everybody would agree that the B1G is a harder conference than the Big 12 and look at how OK State did out of conference compared to Illinois. The argument can certainly be made that OK State is the best team they've faced, but it isn't fact.

And the problem with Gonzaga is their guard play. Against good defensive teams their guards have lots of problems. Pangos isn't a good defender either. Look at the three OOC games against Illinois, Butler, and K state (cherry picking because those were probably the three best defensive teams that Gonzaga faced this year), Pangos had a combined 24 points on pretty poor percentages. Stockton off the bench isn't particularly good either.

On paper and when they're playing poor teams Gonzaga looks incredible. Unfortunately, when they play teams that can pressure the ball or play solid defense their guards have issues because they can't really drive.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
I don't think you can say OK State is the best team they've faced like it's a fact. I think everybody would agree that the B1G is a harder conference than the Big 12 and look at how OK State did out of conference compared to Illinois. The argument can certainly be made that OK State is the best team they've faced, but it isn't fact.

And the problem with Gonzaga is their guard play. Against good defensive teams their guards have lots of problems. Pangos isn't a good defender either. Look at the three OOC games against Illinois, Butler, and K state (cherry picking because those were probably the three best defensive teams that Gonzaga faced this year), Pangos had a combined 24 points on pretty poor percentages. Stockton off the bench isn't particularly good either.

On paper and when they're playing poor teams Gonzaga looks incredible. Unfortunately, when they play teams that can pressure the ball or play solid defense their guards have issues because they can't really drive.

You're right that I shouldn't have worded that as a fact, IMO Ok state is the best team they've faced this year. I can say for a fact that Ok State is the best defensive team that they've faced all year and by a good margin, and Pangos lit them up.

And once again, this has nothing to do with how they look on paper(though the numbers love them as well), this has to do with what I've seen.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 27, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
I still remember the loud, collective groan that went up in the dorms when that happened.

I lived above 2 die hard ILL fans and I stomped my feet so hard so long that my knees were sore the next day. That was awesome. ILL has paid us back a few times since then, especially in football.