2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
I dont know about the IU guys but it pisses me off every time I see Gary Harris and the f***ing MSU logo next to his name.

I don't like it, but to me it's better than having Purdue or Kentucky next to his name.

Not sure how close we were to getting Harris, but I had heard he wasn't going to pick IU unless there was a spot available (meaning not oversigned). No one questioned whether he would have a spot, just that his family wanted him to fit in an open spot. Maybe they didn't want to feel like he was causing another player to lose his scholly or whatever, but that's just what I had heard. When we signed Remy Abell last year, I knew it was going to be an uphill climb with Harris simply due to numbers. We're still oversigned by one right now and that doesn't include Matt Roth who has eligibility remaining. Though not sure what Roth would do since I'm told he is very close to having a graduate degree already.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Shabazz to UCLA, not a shocker considering...

"Asia Muhammad, Bazz's sister, is ranked No. 386 on the WTA Tour and has an adidas deal. UCLA is also an adidas school."

UCLA gets the #1 and #3 player according to Rivals. Guess we'll be seeing a quick turnaround there.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
UCLA gets the #1 and #3 player according to Rivals. Guess we'll be seeing a quick turnaround there.

They've been awful for 2 out of the last 3 years so I'm not sure id consider it a quick turnaround.

Rex,

Crean has a terrible reputation in Wisconsin for over-signing. My guess is that on the recruitment trail someone told his family about his love of oversigning and they didnt want to feel their sons commitment caused another player to lose his spot.

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/2...more-1419\

http://kentsterling.com/2010/08/24/indiana...rivals-5-stars/

Tom Crean has stated recently that he is looking to oversign in every recruiting class. Indiana currently has one open spot in the class of 2011 but could oversign by one, meaning both Zeller and Young could become Hoosiers.

I dont know if that will play well in the Indiana High Schools. At Marquette he basically would get 1 recruit from Wisconsin a year, at Indiana he seemingly is going to get multiple in state. You have to believe the Creaning of players is going to eventually ruin some relationships.

Edited by Soxbadger

Right there. Noel was supposed to pick Georgetown, all signs were pointing there. Picks Kentucky. It's just weird. The fact that they are extremely good is definitely a huge pull for these top 1-10 guys, its also a clear path to the NBA most likely. So whatever, probably another final four run.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
Right there. Noel was supposed to pick Georgetown, all signs were pointing there. Picks Kentucky. It's just weird. The fact that they are extremely good is definitely a huge pull for these top 1-10 guys, its also a clear path to the NBA most likely. So whatever, probably another final four run.

Blame the NBA & guys like Jerry Krause who couldn't stay away from high schoolers like Eddy Curry.

Dirty or not, Calipari has taken full advantage of the one & done rule to almost create a minor league system at Kentucky. Other schools sell kids on their university, and he sells them on his ability to get them ready for the NBA. And he now has the track record with all the recent draft picks they have had.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 06:59 AM)
Blame the NBA & guys like Jerry Krause who couldn't stay away from high schoolers like Eddy Curry.

Dirty or not, Calipari has taken full advantage of the one & done rule to almost create a minor league system at Kentucky. Other schools sell kids on their university, and he sells them on his ability to get them ready for the NBA. And he now has the track record with all the recent draft picks they have had.

I HATE one and dones. Its killing the quality of college bball.

With that said, Coach Cal has done it dirty before, so the chance is still out there that he's doing it again. He COULD be getting these guys clean, but history points a different direction.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
I HATE one and dones. Its killing the quality of college bball.

With that said, Coach Cal has done it dirty before, so the chance is still out there that he's doing it again. He COULD be getting these guys clean, but history points a different direction.

He could even be going clean. He provides winning, and a quickest route to the NBA for a top notch kid. Who else can top that right now?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
He could even be going clean. He provides winning, and a quickest route to the NBA for a top notch kid. Who else can top that right now?

Not to start a Coach Cal love fest, but what did he get in trouble for at UMass & Memphis? Sports agents were paying Camby to woo him, it wasn't money directly from Cal. I highly doubt he personally advised Derrick to cheat on his SAT.

Most of the dirty recruting in college doesn't seem to involve the coaches themselves. It's boosters, alums, AAU people, agents, and even Adidas & Nike.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
Not to start a Coach Cal love fest, but what did he get in trouble for at UMass & Memphis? Sports agents were paying Camby to woo him, it wasn't money directly from Cal. I highly doubt he personally advised Derrick to cheat on his SAT.

Most of the dirty recruting in college doesn't seem to involve the coaches themselves. It's boosters, alums, AAU people, agents, and even Adidas & Nike.

GMAB man, that's the coach making sure he has "Plausible deniability".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

And the more they win and send players to the NBA, the less of a need there is for any of it. Kind of like how the mob tries to get into legitimate businesses to hide their money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
And of course he is the only coach in basketball that does that.

When did I say that?

Cal just does it better than the others, and then scampers away to another job before things actually get exposed.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
When did I say that?

Cal just does it better than the others, and then scampers away to another job before things actually get exposed.

If he does it better than the others, why does he keep getting caught while no one else does?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:31 AM)
If he does it better than the others, why does he keep getting caught while no one else does?

He doesn't keep getting caught. The big name players keep getting caught, but by that time he's already moved on. If he was getting caught, the phrase "Show Cause" would be applied.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
He doesn't keep getting caught. The big name players keep getting caught, but by that time he's already moved on. If he was getting caught, the phrase "Show Cause" would be applied.

So he hasn't broken any rules then? Just like all the other big name coaches haven't.

Being less thorough when digging into the past of questionable recruits is not an NCAA violation, and Calipari has taken full advantage of that fact. At some point, his employers need to realize this and cover the bases that he isn't since they are the ones who will get stuck with the penalties later on.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Being less thorough when digging into the past of questionable recruits is not an NCAA violation, and Calipari has taken full advantage of that fact. At some point, his employers need to realize this and cover the bases that he isn't since they are the ones who will get stuck with the penalties later on.

I would expect Kentucky's athletic compliance department to be much more knowledgable/skilled/experienced/funded etc., than the depts at Memphis or UMass, so it will be much tougher to uncover anything there.

My question would be how different is it than a player de-committing from a school at the last minute?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-p...-185529935.html

Utah basketball pulls scholarship from California player after growth-related illness

By Cameron Smith | Prep Rally – 20 hours ago

In November, Studio City (Calif.) Harvard Westlake senior basketball star Josh Hearlihy signed on to spend his future at the University of Utah, spurning the scholarship offers of other Division I programs like Wyoming, Santa Clara and San Diego, among others, to sign on to play with the Utes. Now, months later, Utah and men's basketball coach Larry Krystowiak are trying to wriggle their way out of the scholarship they promised the teen, just because he had a rough, injury-plagued senior season that was related to a health condition completely beyond his control: He was simply growing too fast.

Harvard-Westlake senior Josh Hearlihy — Harvard-Westlake SchoolHarvard-Westlake senior Josh Hearlihy — Harvard-Westlake School

As reported by the Los Angeles Times, the Utes officially asked the 6-foot-7 Hearlihy to release the school from its scholarship obligation to the senior. No official reason was provided for the request, though it is extremely likely that Hearlihy's health issues played a part; the teenager missed 14 games during his senior campaign due to health issues related to his rapid growth. He still managed to play in six of Harvard-Westlake's games, forming a potent duo with junior Zena Edosomwan.

If the retraction of Hearlihy's signed scholarship doesn't seem fair to you, that's probably because it isn't. What Utah is trying to do makes a mockery of the early recruiting system, when players commit to a program to lock up a scholarship and make sure that other players get to commit to other programs. When schools back out of those pledges, it blatantly takes advantage of the loyalty of a player who openly passed up on other opportunities to commit to their program.

As Jeff Eisenberg of Prep Rally's brotherly blog The Dagger writes, it's technically possible for Hearlihy to refuse to give up his scholarship spot, but that seems extremely unlikely, even if Utah's reputation may suffer as a result of the pulled scholarship.

"I was very excited about going to Utah when I signed my Letter of Intent in November," Hearlihy said in a statement obtained by the Times. "However, the coaching staff has reconsidered their commitment to me and has asked to be released from their obligation. I turned down scholarship offers and stopped exploring other options when I signed.

"Given the situation at Utah, I'm concerned about putting myself in an environment where I'm not wanted. It is still my dream to play college basketball and I will continue to work hard every day to make that dream a reality."

Now, with spring signing day upon the nation, there are few remaining opportunities for Hearlihy to find another Division I opening, and even less time to find that spot. As a result, the most likely future for Hearlihy may come at a prep school, where the teen would spend a year biding time to re-enter the Division I recruiting cycle.

That's a harsh reality for a promising forward who seemed to have a bright Pac-12 future ahead of him just months earlier. No matter how it ends, the way Utah handled the situation certainly leaves a sour taste in plenty of mouths.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
I would expect Kentucky's athletic compliance department to be much more knowledgable/skilled/experienced/funded etc., than the depts at Memphis or UMass, so it will be much tougher to uncover anything there.

Its not the compliance dept. Its how tightly knitted the group of boosters is within the community. UK fans are the entire city, its going to be very hard to crack that nut. The SEC in general is very good at hiding things and never ever letting them out.