The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
Do you really want to play the what if game? You are really bored today. OK

Clearly someone who comes to the ballpark each day and says, I really hope no one comes today, tickets to baseball games are too expensive and only benefit rich owners, you are an idiot if you pay, but if they do, I hope a terrorist will blow up the ball park, should not be suspended.

Bottom line I believe there are political comments that could be so vile to warrant a MLB suspension. Don't they suspend for arguing with an umpire if it gets bad enough? Are you really saying that no statement could ever be bad enough to warrant a suspension?

I believe they suspend for making contact with an umpire, not for anything that is said. An umpire can remove from the game for statements, but the league does not act unless the manager or player makes physical contact.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SEATTLE, May 3 (Reuters) - Seattle Mariners outfielder Milton Bradley was fined and suspended one game for arguing with an umpire during a recent game where he was ejected, Major League Baseball said on Tuesday.

Bradley has appealed the ruling, delaying any suspension, Major League Baseball said in a statement. His ban was set to begin on Tuesday for Seattle's game against the Texas Rangers.

The former All-Star was ejected after he argued a close call with an umpire during the third inning of Seattle's 2-0 win over the Boston Red Sox on April 30.

Just a quick google check.

Seriously, you have to agree that a political comment could be bad enough to warrant suspension? You are probably thinking the Ozzie kind of stuff, I'm thinking theoretically there could be one that bad and should be allowed for.

“My favorite dictator? It’s not this Fidel,” he said. “I do not love or respect him. Compare him to someone like the Russian, Joseph Stalin. The Wikipedia say he was responsible for more than 20 million deaths. That is the true power. He would kill Jay Mariotti in a second. I respect that man. Which is saying much because I hate Russians.”

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/12179/con...what-stalin-did

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
I believe they suspend for making contact with an umpire, not for anything that is said. An umpire can remove from the game for statements, but the league does not act unless the manager or player makes physical contact.

Or spitting, see Alomar, Roberto.

The only question is whether the league would have acted had the Marlins failed to do so, but there was absolutely no way that Loria wasn't going to take his pound of flesh from Guillen in some way, shape or form.

It was clear enough, making him face the media without anyone else at the table with him. He was on his own.

And we'll see the net, if the Marlins lose $70,000 in ticket sales or end up saying money on the deal. Hard to say at this point, but at least the politicians and media can return to their normal lives again now (well, except Cowley).

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 12:44 PM)
But I believe we would know it when someone steps over the line. I do not believe any of the examples you just gave would be worthy a suspension. Now wouldn't you want to suspend a manager who on 9/11 expressed regret that more people were not killed? Who on 12/7/41 cheered Japanese planes? Perhaps someone who believes that Hitler wasn't all wrong or who believes that handicapped infants should be euthenized?

I can handle that slippery slope.

What if said manager said he believes 9/11 was an inside job?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
I'd bet money that Selig was involved, but wanted it to come from the team.

And I think that is almost always the best approach.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
What if said manager said he believes 9/11 was an inside job?

I'd let it go. I'd probably let everything within reason go from a league point of view and expect the team to take some action. I'm just leaving open the once in a lifetime comment that would cause the league to take action.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 02:53 PM)
I'd let it go. I'd probably let everything within reason go from a league point of view and expect the team to take some action. I'm just leaving open the once in a lifetime comment that would cause the league to take action.

And if 300 9/11 families showed up to protest that manager?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
And if 300 9/11 families showed up to protest that manager?

I believe that a member of MLB could make a statement so vile that the league should suspend the person. Do you agree or disagree?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
I believe that a member of MLB could make a statement so vile that the league should suspend the person. Do you agree or disagree?

I agree. Previous examples (John Rocker) support this statement.

Now change it from simply a vile statement to it being an expression of political feeling. Doesn't that make it much, much harder?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
I agree. Previous examples (John Rocker) support this statement.

Now change it from simply a vile statement to it being an expression of political feeling. Doesn't that make it much, much harder?

It certainly does. But "someone has to take the hard seat". (McMurtry Lonesome Dove 33)

3) Did a spot with Tony Kornheiser on his national radio show today talking Ozzie and Heat. Tony's intro music for segment on Ozzie: "I'm Sorry" by Brenda Lee. 4) I was to be on with Wolf Blitzer on CNN last evening for more Ozzfest but got bumped by Rick Santorum withdrawal. Catch you next time, Wolfie! 5) Join us on Twitter @gregcote]

Read more here: http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence/20...l#storylink=cpy

Poor Joey!

The Marlins said Guillen was going to spend the night in Philadelphia and return to Miami on Thursday.

The players did not elaborate on what exactly Guillen told the team, and Guillen did not speak to the media after the meeting. But some players said they appreciated the visit and the message.

“I don’t see it as an adverse time for us,” Logan Morrison said. “It’s tough for Ozzie, but we stand behind him. I think a good way to turn the page is by winning games and doing well this season.”

Cora said while Guillen has been his usual animated self when it came to baseball matters, he could tell the situation deeply affected him during the road trip.

“He got hit pretty good by it,” Cora said. “He felt it. It was tough to watch him [Tuesday]. It looked like he needed a hug.”

Guillen said Tuesday his quotes in the Time magazine article had been misinterpreted. Cora didn’t think Guillen would resort to using a translator in the future.

“I doubt he will because then Ozzie wouldn’t be Ozzie,” Cora said. “He speaks from the heart and he likes talking to people directly and saying what he feels.

“... We’re baseball people. We’re not politicians.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/12/2743...l#storylink=cpy

Edited by caulfield12

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7800872/...uillen-keep-job

However, the last part is the most important to his long-term future....37% of Cubans and 26% of Miami residents said it would affect their attendance at a Marlins game.

Now maybe that's the kind of thing you think is "politically correct" to say when you're polled the week in which everything blew up and it will be old news by May for most Miami residents....it's really hard to say because there's not a track record of attendance for weekday games in April so that someone could come up with conclusive evidence that it was directly correlated with the Ozzie situation.

Loria might want to spin it that way if they have to fire him before the end of this season, but attendance could just as easily fall off a bit by next Tuesday if they end up 1-4 in the games Cora is managing.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/...ong-as-ever/?hp

It was inevitable, Ozzie made the NY Times.

Hopefully the only time Ventura makes it is for winning a World Series.

One of the four editorial opinions.

The fact that Ozzie Guillen is not seeking a new baseball team to manage today is the most compelling evidence that Cuban-American attitudes in Miami have changed as the demographics of the community have changed. It is a stark reminder of the loss of so many of the people responsible for building the Cuban-American community in Miami.

For more than 50 years the community, led most passionately by “el exilio histórico” (the historic exiles who fled Castro’s Cuba in the 1960s and '70s) have built a life for themselves and their families in Miami, while all the while hoping, praying and planning for a time when the Castro regime would fall and they could return home.

Such disrespect would have led to a far harsher response 10 or 20 years ago, when more of the original Cuban exiles were still alive. Throughout most of this time to have conceded an inch on any issue relating to Fidel was considered tantamount to giving in to the dictator himself. As the Cuban-American community grew, the local civic leadership in Miami became heavily influenced by individuals dedicated to a Free Cuba and their leadership and activism has had a tremendous impact on local, state and national policy for decades.

But for the second and third generations of Americans of Cuban descent, for whom Fidel is a historical rather than personal enemy, the virulence of their anti-Castro posture is not as personal or passionate as their parents’ and grandparents’. Where support for the Cuban embargo was once nearly universal, the community is now split; where overwhelming majorities once opposed travel to Cuba, the reverse is now true. Many of those original warriors, like my grandmother, whose strength and determination served as the bedrock for a community that arrived here with nothing, have passed on. Every day there are fewer and fewer historic exiles who know the pain of Castro’s oppression first-hand, every day fewer for whom the defeat of Castro is their most important priority.

And so in the final analysis, Mr. Guillen is a fortunate man. Had someone in his position so directly disrespected the Cuban community by daring to praise Castro 10 or 20 years ago, the protesters would have numbered in the thousands, local TV and radio would have erupted with outrage, corporate sponsors of the Marlins would have pulled their financial support in droves and Mr. Guillen — rather than simply being suspended and embarrassed — would have been fired immediately.

My grandmother and others like her would have made sure of it.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
If attendance falls in the coming months, i can almost 100% be certain that it will be less about this Cuban crisis and a lot more about the fair-weather Miami fans.

I agree with this. And I've said it for a while, although I give it 3 years before a significant fall off in attendance.

Heath Bell getting booed already.

Pitching a bit tentatively.

Tie game, top of the 9th, Marlins had the lead for most of this game.

14 balls, 6 strikes this inning, about to walk the bases loaded for Caballo. 15 balls, walks the bases loaded, but 2 outs still.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:25 PM)
So, the Marlins had like 20,000 at the game today? Weak...

I guess it doesn't matter what kind of stadium you build. If the people don't care, nobody will show up.

It's Miami. The only "sports" that matter are NASCAR & the U.