The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
a-mazing.

Ozzie likes dictators until someone tells him its not good to like them. He used to like Chavez as well. He's a total fool. How does a guy trying to attract Cubans to come watch his team play say anything nice about Fidel Castro? He's the idiot of the year.

Guillen caused another stir late last September when he was introduced as the Marlins' new manager, saying he did not support the president of his native land, Hugo Chavez of Venezuela.

"Don't tell my wife that, because she hates that man. She hates him to death," Guillen said. "I supported Chavez? If I was supporting Chavez, do you think I would be manager of the Marlins? I never supported Chavez."

But reports eventually emerged that Guillen had twice appeared on the Venezuelan leader's national radio show in October 2005, right after the then-Guillen managed White Sox had won the World Series.

"Not too many people like the president. I do. My mom will kill me, but it's an honor to talk to the president," Guillen said at the time.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
Ozzie likes dictators until someone tells him its not good to like them. He used to like Chavez as well. He's a total fool. How does a guy trying to attract Cubans to come watch his team play say anything nice about Fidel Castro? He's the idiot of the year.

Guillen caused another stir late last September when he was introduced as the Marlins' new manager, saying he did not support the president of his native land, Hugo Chavez of Venezuela.

"Don't tell my wife that, because she hates that man. She hates him to death," Guillen said. "I supported Chavez? If I was supporting Chavez, do you think I would be manager of the Marlins? I never supported Chavez."

But reports eventually emerged that Guillen had twice appeared on the Venezuelan leader's national radio show in October 2005, right after the then-Guillen managed White Sox had won the World Series.

"Not too many people like the president. I do. My mom will kill me, but it's an honor to talk to the president," Guillen said at the time.

I don't know how any sensible person can take Ozzie seriously.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)

Next up... Ahmadinejad.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:13 PM)
I don't know how any sensible person can take Ozzie seriously.

I'm sure his "I love Fidel" comment even with the Marlins apology and his retraction, will keep some people away from the ballpark as long as he's involved. I just wonder what's next. I'm sure KW is laughing his ass off. If KW said the same thing, Cowley would call it a fireable offense. With Ozzie, its just cute Ozzie being Ozzie, its what makes him so great. I think this ridiculous comment probably cuts the incidents it will take to get him fired down drastically.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm sure his "I love Fidel" comment even with the Marlins apology and his retraction, will keep some people away from the ballpark as long as he's involved. I just wonder what's next. I'm sure KW is laughing his ass off. If KW said the same thing, Cowley would call it a fireable offense. With Ozzie, its just cute Ozzie being Ozzie, its what makes him so great. I think this ridiculous comment probably cuts the incidents it will take to get him fired down drastically.

BUT KENNY WAS ON A TV SHOW!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 08:20 PM)

So so soooo happy we don't have to deal with him any more !

Ozzie truly is certifiably mad.

I like him, but he's pretty insane for commenting like that on Castro and saying he gets drunk in his hotel room after every road game. You can't say these things at least until people get to know what "Ozzie being Ozzie" really is about.

He's talked about Castro, getting drunk daily and animal sacrifice. Two of those 3 things can hurt attendance. Maybe all 3. Can you see Ozzie speaking to Little Leaguers or high school teams. "When you grow up, you can get s***faced in your hotel room every night."

I still like him, but no question he is troubled.

Thing about Ozzie is, I can't think of any other manager/coach willing to comment on any of these issues in any sport. Can you?

I think he prides himself, well it's obvious he prides himself on having no filter, but you can be a colorful person in the press w/out delving into these things.

Yikes.

I think when you start saying things that will affect attendance in a place that doesn't draw ... trouble may be brewing already. Marlins officials had to be furious to immediately issue a statement completely disagreeing with their manager's statement .

http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence/20...rlins-fans.html

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
No one really suggested here yet what that could do to the chances of selling tickets to Miami's cuban community?

Yes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
He's talked about Castro, getting drunk daily and animal sacrifice. Two of those 3 things can hurt attendance. Maybe all 3.

Remember, the new ballpark is in Little Havana. Miami's Cuban community is the Marlins fanbase, especially with the new marketing strategy.

Edited by OsweGo-Go Sox

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Yes.

Remember, the new ballpark is in Little Havana. Miami's Cuban community is the Marlins fanbase, especially with the new marketing strategy.

Oz will definitely be booed.

He reiterated that personally he respects Castro which won't cut it.

I think we all agree that managers have a smaller impact on the game relative to the other major sports but Ozzie is truly a f***in moron. There is no doubt in my mind that his act wore on the players and this guy really cost our Sox last year.

I wish him nothing but the worst and I've never rooted harder against a non divisional baseball team than I will against the Marlins this year.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
I think we all agree that managers have a smaller impact on the game relative to the other major sports but Ozzie is truly a f***in moron. There is no doubt in my mind that his act wore on the players and this guy really cost our Sox last year.

I wish him nothing but the worst and I've never rooted harder against a non divisional baseball team than I will against the Marlins this year.

Heath Bell just blew a save. Lol.

I like him, but he's pretty insane for commenting like that on Castro and saying he gets drunk in his hotel room after every road game. You can't say these things at least until people get to know what "Ozzie being Ozzie" really is about.

He's talked about Castro, getting drunk daily and animal sacrifice. Two of those 3 things can hurt attendance. Maybe all 3. Can you see Ozzie speaking to Little Leaguers or high school teams. "When you grow up, you can get s***faced in your hotel room every night."

Thing about Ozzie is, I can't think of any other manager/coach willing to comment on any of these issues in any sport. Can you?

I think he prides himself, well it's obvious he prides himself on having no filter, but you can be a colorful person in the press w/out delving into these things.

Yikes.

I think when you start saying things that will affect attendance in a place that doesn't draw ... trouble may be brewing already. Marlins officials had to be furious to immediately issue a statement completely disagreeing with their manager's statement .

Wow, for once Greg, you've finally decided to say something bad about Ozzie. It's a Easter miracle.

Yikes.

Yeah, after seeing how his kids turned out...

Hanley Ramirez is an awful 3B. The ball Rolen hit was pretty routine and he couldn't come up with it cleanly. He probably wouldn't have gotten the runner at home anyways, but he should still come up with that cleanly.

If Hanley's not happy and producing, the Marlins aren't going to be very good.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Wow, for once Greg, you've finally decided to say something bad about Ozzie. It's a Easter miracle.

This Ozzie flap really interests me.

The team issuing its own statement so quickly w/out even checking with Ozzie shows how he really blew it with this one.

The getting drunk thing is pretty bizarre too.

It seems weird a person would want to set himself up for hecklers. Ozzie said (and surely he was fibbing) he gets drunk after every road game then sleeps it off til 11. That's pretty weird in this day and age to basically say you get drunk 80 or more days a year.