The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently running at 42% of the voters saying Ozzie might have done permanent damage already.

Poor Greg, the honeymoon lasted less than one week.

It won't get any easier playing an angry Phils team for their home opening series that just got beaten 2/3 in Pittsburgh.

One can only hope Cowley comes out with a column trying to defend him and upsets the Hispanic community in Chicago as well.

Edited by caulfield12

Do Cuban-Americans protest the Marlins a week into their rebirth in Miami? Should the baseball commissioner's office step in, as it did when then-Cincinnati owner Marge Schott said Hitler did some good things at first but, "went too far?"

Or do you just shrug it off, as everyone did when Charles Barkley once said, "I hate white people." Barkley, like Guillen, has the rare ability to say anything and have people not get angry or offended.

Guillen, however, was worried enough about these comments to call reporters into his office before the Marlins played in Cincinnati and apologize for his comments. Well, mostly apologize. Sort of. You decide. He began:

"There's a statement about, it's a magazine come out, quoting me, 'I love Fidel,' '' he said. "Kind of funny (expletive). But it's not funny. I want to send a statement to the public …

"I think when I was talking about that specific man, it was personal. It wasn't politic. I don't believe in politics. I come from a place (Venezuela) that has been very, very struggle in politics. I'm against the way he (Castro) treats people and the way treats his country for a long time. I'm against that 100 percent."

Later, he said this: "The reason I say I admire him is because a lot of people want to get rid of this guy and they couldn't yet. It was kind of personal, not political."

So he apologized for his statements and is against what Castro did politically. But he still admires him personally. Got it?

sunsentinel.com/sports

I would guess he was thinking in terms of retaining power, like a manager/executive/political leader are all one and the same, and being "him against the world" like Ozzie and his persecuted family was have felt the last 2-3 years in Chicago....that he admired the idea of someone holding onto power for over 50 years, when he only managed 8.

By Juan C. Rodriguez / Sun Sentinel

Monday, April 9, 2012 - Added 3 minutes ago

CINCINNATI — Florida Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said he approached the Marlins’ Spanish language radio broadcast team of Felo Ramirez and Yiki Quintana, and offered a personal apology for his Fidel Castro remarks. Both Quintana and Ramirez, a Hall of Fame broadcaster, are Cuban-born.

Guillen did not speak directly with Gaby Sanchez, who is the son of Cuban exiles. Sanchez said he knows Guillen doesn’t admire the Cuban despot and "it’s all drama for nothing."

In this week’s Time Magazine, Guillen is first quoted as saying he loved Castro and later that he respects him. Saturday, he apologized for those remarks. He plans to have another press conference when the team returns home on Friday.

Will Jay Mariotti and Joe Cowley be in attendance? Will Vigilia Mambisa spark a direct confrontation in hopes of getting him fired in his first week as the manager? Stay tuned.

Edited by caulfield12

"Is it true you sacrificed an animal a couple of days ago for good luck this season as part of your religion of Santeria?" the reporter said.

"I'm not answering that," Guillen said.

He didn't, either. Nor did he deny it. More new. More interesting.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jun/26/sports/sp-santeria26

Guillen on Santeria religion (old article, but interesting)...I'm sure PETA is just waiting to join the protest Tuesday in defense of the animals being sacrificed by Pedro Cerrano.

Didn't know that both Miguel Cabrera and Jose Contreras are strong followers of this religion, as well.

Now that some Marlins fans have come to see Ozzie Guillen as an adversary, we need to prepare in case we find ourselves cornered by the powerful Babalao. Fortunately, at a recent Little Havana garage sale, I came a cross a wonderful research paper, ‘A Study of Divination within Santería, an Afro-Cuban Religion, as a Psychotherapeutic System’ by Lawrence J. Levy, M.S. While reading the paper, I alternately imagined myself as Guy Montag and Beldar Conehead. It was heady stuff. Literally.

A core Santería belief is the following:

The seat of the soul is the head, and therefore to strengthen the ‘Orisha’ that lives in the head of every human, it must be fed a mixture of grated coconut, honey, and cocoa butter. This mixture is placed on the head and then covered by a white hat or kerchief. The process is called ‘rogación de la cabeza.’

Bang, there it was, our Ozzie Guillen defense kit.

Edited by caulfield12

”I’ve got a real weird religion,” Guillen said.

Weird?

”Santeria,” he said.

It’s a bloody religion, imported from Africa. Guillen believes in animal sacrifice.

Heck, if Chicago fans had known it would work like this, they might have endorsed human sacrifice.

You kill animals, Ozzie?

”Back in my country [Venezuela], yes, I do,” Guillen said.

He realized how this sounded and blurted, unsolicited, just in case you didn’t like it:

“Too bad.”

You kill with your own hands?

”I pay people to do it,” Guillen said.

What kind of animals?

”Depends on what you need,” he said.

And finally:

”You bleed, I’m there,” he said.

http://www.spikesnstars.com/forums/index.p...ic=42872.0;wap2

http://www.cantstopthebleeding.com/santeri...ger-of-the-year

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
At what point does he pull a Sammy Sosa and forget how to speak english.

The comparison to Schott is interesting, he may get suspended.

Good riddance asshat.

I can't see how you could suspend him for that. You could have management fire him for hurting their specific business, but I don't see that it's the league's business to regulate this type of speech. If some team hires a coach and then he comes out as a communist, is that a suspension-worthy offense?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
At what point does he pull a Sammy Sosa and forget how to speak english.

The comparison to Schott is interesting, he may get suspended.

Good riddance asshat.

LOL. I would expect Ozzie to learn a couple of more languages so that more people could listen to his ego padding.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 07:37 AM)
Thanks, Ozzie, for ruining a thread that had previously been mostly about pics of hot, nearly-naked women at your new ballpark.

have no fear..

(link NSFW)

http://bustedcoverage.com/2012/04/06/body-...der-bar-photos/

it looks like the organization is really pushing these body paint girls. that whole part of the park is awesome enough as is. closes at 3am, keeps serving drinks past the 7th inning, get a chance to meet your future ex-wife. what's not to like?

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
have no fear..

(link NSFW)

http://bustedcoverage.com/2012/04/06/body-...der-bar-photos/

it looks like the organization is really pushing these body paint girls. that whole part of the park is awesome enough as is. closes at 3am, keeps serving drinks past the 7th inning, get a chance to meet your future ex-wife. what's not to like?

that bodypaint thing really has to catch on

gz didn't take ozzie long

Ozzie Guillen will fly to Miami for personal apology after cries for firing and suspension grow

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/...castro-comments

Pressure is mounting, already has changed strategy from waiting until back in Miami on Friday to flying back to Miami specifically to answer ALL media questions tmrw, and invite essentially everyone in Miami to cross-examine him.

"Guillen says he has lost a lot of sleep the past two nights thinking about this situation and feeling bad."

The Marlins just spent 90 seconds of their own pre-game show doing more damage control. Supposedly he went to the Marlins and told them he wanted to fly back on his own during the offday but not to talk to the media, but address Miamians/Cuban-Americans directly.

HAHA.

It's on, Juan Pierre vs. Ozzie today. More exciting than Darvish/Ichiro to leadoff the game later tonight.

Edited by caulfield12

Yeah, the Sox created an environment around him that was too supportive/lenient and now that he's in the real world, he forgot what it's like to be held accountable for his words and actions.

That the White Sox didn't hold him to his post-Mariotti diversity training follow-through program, etc.

Will Cowley cover the press conference tmrw in-person?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Yeah, the Sox created an environment around him that was too supportive/lenient and now that he's in the real world, he forgot what it's like to be held accountable for his words and actions.

That the White Sox didn't hold him to his post-Mariotti diversity training follow-through program, etc.

Will Cowley cover the press conference tmrw in-person?

Its either that or everyone else should stop taking Ozzie so seriously.