2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 05:55 PM)
Jon Heyman ‏ @JonHeymanCBS

new #braves hitting coach greg walker doing a terrific job. atlanta is tied for 4th in runs. was 22nd last yr.

Glad to see Walker getting the credit he deserves. Everything I've read about him would indicate the guy works his ass off.

Maybe the Braves players actually listen. Or maybe the hitting coach doesn't matter as much as the talent (ding ding).

Edited by greg775

I honestly never thought that Greg Walker was a bad hitting coach, but by the end of his tenure, his methodology and sermons were obviously not getting through to the hitters. I was tired of him and I did want him gone, and so did others within the organization.

The team looks a lot better this year, and I think Greg Walker being gone is part of the reason. A lot of times, players just need to hear it from someone new to have it click for them again.

-Manager Robin Ventura is sticking with rookie left-hander Hector Santiago (0-1, 8.53 ERA, 2 blown saves) as his closer.

"It is a tough job," RV said. "You're asking a lot of young kids to do difficult things, and you have to be patient with that, too. Nobody is perfect. It's more of making sure his mind is there and he has to realize how difficult it is, too, but still stay aggressive and just keep pitching.

"

-Top pitching prospect Andre Rienzo (3-0, 1.08 ERA at Class A Winston-Salem) was suspended 50 games after testing positive for PEDs.

"We found out a couple of weeks ago," said Buddy Bell, the White Sox' director of player development. "We talked to Andre about it right away. He was devastated at the positive. He denies any wrongdoing or anything like that. We went through the proper channels and Andre wanted to appeal. After about 10 days or so, they decided to get this thing behind him."

There's your explanation for why the Sox weren't promoting him to Birmingham.

from scot gregor's blog, www.dailyherald.com/sports

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

Jake Peavy is first in the American League in opponent batting average (.197). Next closest: Justin Verlander (.229).

He's also leading the league in WAR for starting pitchers according to fangraphs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
I honestly never thought that Greg Walker was a bad hitting coach, but by the end of his tenure, his methodology and sermons were obviously not getting through to the hitters. I was tired of him and I did want him gone, and so did others within the organization.

The team looks a lot better this year, and I think Greg Walker being gone is part of the reason. A lot of times, players just need to hear it from someone new to have it click for them again.

I agree with this. I actually liked Walker, but it was time for him to go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Glad to see Walker getting the credit he deserves. Everything I've read about him would indicate the guy works his ass off.

Maybe the Braves players actually listen. Or maybe the hitting coach doesn't matter as much as the talent (ding ding).

You have become a character unrivaled on Soxtalk. It's quite commendable.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)

Stats would indicate the offense hasn't improved. Even Rios had a better Sept 2011 than Apr 2012.

I'm surprised Dick isn't using those last 6 weeks to blame Manto for what happened to Brent Morel. Beckham, we all pretty much expected or perhaps feared, was lost for good, at least with the Sox.

Then again, with that Braves' team you have the best hitting catcher in baseball (McCann), Chipper Jones (Hall of Famer), Uggla, Freeman, Heyward...except for Michael Bourne, there's a lot of thunder in that line-up.

But Heyward is below .200 right now.

You also have Prado, Pastornicky and Juan Francisco.

If Jack Wilson, Bourne, Prado and Pastornicky start putting up 800+ OPS numbers, then I'll be duly impressed.

And it didn't really matter what Rios or Morel did the last month of the season, it was already over then.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
I'm surprised Dick isn't using those last 6 weeks to blame Manto for what happened to Brent Morel. Beckham, we all pretty much expected or perhaps feared, was lost for good, at least with the Sox.

Then again, with that Braves' team you have the best hitting catcher in baseball (McCann), Chipper Jones (Hall of Famer), Uggla, Freeman, Heyward...except for Michael Bourne, there's a lot of thunder in that line-up.

But Heyward is below .200 right now.

You also have Prado, Pastornicky and Juan Francisco.

If Jack Wilson, Bourne, Prado and Pastornicky start putting up 800+ OPS numbers, then I'll be duly impressed.

And it didn't really matter what Rios or Morel did the last month of the season, it was already over then.

If the Sox were leading the AL in runs, you would say Manto is doing a great job, saying it was obvious the problem was the hitting coach........You wouldn't say, they have a lot of thunder, Konerko, Dunn, Rios, Ramirez, lets wait until AJP gets his OPS to .800 or Beckham and Morel get theirs to .700 before praising him. You're just being unfair.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
If the Sox were leading the AL in runs, you would say Manto is doing a great job, saying it was obvious the problem was the hitting coach........You wouldn't say, they have a lot of thunder, Konerko, Dunn, Rios, Ramirez, lets wait until AJP gets his OPS to .800 or Beckham and Morel get theirs to .700 before praising him. You're just being unfair.

Wait, you think people wouldn't be picking at the hitting coach if only a few players weren't hitting? You have been around Soxtalk waaaaaay too long to believe that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
Wait, you think people wouldn't be picking at the hitting coach if only a few players weren't hitting? You have been around Soxtalk waaaaaay too long to believe that.

2011 Sox .252 avg .319 OBP .706 OPS

2012 Sox .241 avg .305 OBP .703 OPS

I have read on this thread the offense is better. The numbers look pretty similar to me. And the team is striking out at an enormous rate. Remember lift and pull? I haven't read many Jeff Manto needs to go posts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
2011 Sox .252 avg .319 OBP .706 OPS

2012 Sox .241 avg .305 OBP .703 OPS

I have read on this thread the offense is better. The numbers look pretty similar to me. And the team is striking out at an enormous rate. Remember lift and pull? I haven't read many Jeff Manto needs to go posts.

I was hitting the scenario you put forth as totally false.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
I was hitting the scenario you put forth as totally false.

No its not. As much as caulfield doesn't want to give Walker any credit, he would be praising Manto if the Sox offense was currently on pace with Atlanta's. That's the point I was making. And for the record, I don't think Manto needs to be fired, I was playing with caulfield the other day.

The offense is just as brutal as its been in years past. People just don't want to admit they were most likely wrong when they pinned Walker as the problem.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:56 PM)
No its not. As much as caulfield doesn't want to give Walker any credit, he would be praising Manto if the Sox offense was currently on pace with Atlanta's. That's the point I was making. And for the record, I don't think Manto needs to be fired, I was playing with caulfield the other day.

The offense is just as brutal as its been in years past. People just don't want to admit they were most likely wrong when they pinned Walker as the problem.

The point that no one would be criticizing the hitting coach if a few people were hitting badly is insane. The only reason Manto isn't getting heat now is because he has been here for months,not the years that Walker was. Besides, you are already starting in on Manto so I guess that said it all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 1, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
The point that no one would be criticizing the hitting coach if a few people were hitting badly is insane. The only reason Manto isn't getting heat now is because he has been here for months,not the years that Walker was. Besides, you are already starting in on Manto so I guess that said it all.

As I mentioned, I was messing with caulfield when I called for Manto's head, just like I do with Cooper. I'm not into firing coaches as the solution to every problem. I just mock the posters who called for Walker's head after anyone ever made an out, by calling for Cooper's head when any pitcher got lit up. If the Sox were leading the league in runs scored, like ATL is leading the NL Manto would be praised, correct? So why shouldn't Walker? Caulfield refuses to give him any credit.

BTW aren't a few people hitting badly?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 1, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
You have become a character unrivaled on Soxtalk. It's quite commendable.

Thanks.

How then do you explain the success of the Braves' hitters under Walker if he's such a dog?

I say congratulations to Walker for getting the credit he deserves and you blast me?

From what I can tell of a hitting coach, Walker is as good as any in putting in the time and effort it takes to help ego-ridden big leaguers improve.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Stats would indicate the offense hasn't improved. Even Rios had a better Sept 2011 than Apr 2012.

I think they do look better. It's still early, so stats are skewed all around, but Konerko, Pierzynski, Dunn, and Rios all look good at the plate and are generally hitting the ball well right now. De Aza looks like he has a plan and usually puts a good swing on the ball every time he comes to the plate. Beckham is still here or there but he looked great tonight, destroying a mistake pitch and then going with two other pitches on the outer half of the plate. Ramirez always looks lost in the early part of the season, so there's nothing I worry about there. Viciedo is a talented hitter and is still learning, but he still needs quite a bit of refinement. The one guy (who I really like) who I just haven't seen anything from this year is Morel. He just doesn't look like he's swinging with any authority whatsoever right now. I don't remember which AB, but there was a pitch tonight that he should have absolutely smoked with the way the bat made contact, and it had absolutely nothing on it. I love him defensively, but he isn't even offering the occasional homer that Crede provided when he was young.

In fact, 3B is probably the one area where the Sox could find a big time upgrade at this season that would be really, really worth it. The one guy who has been mentioned on here before is David Wright, and if the Sox can play above .500 ball through June, I think that is a route Williams will look to take. Even an .800 or so OPS at 3B would be a huge bonus, and Wright has done that quite often in his career. It's too early to even be considering that, because perhaps Morel starts hitting with some authority here soon, but as of now he really seems to be the biggest hole in the entire lineup.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2012 -> 11:25 PM)
I think they do look better. It's still early, so stats are skewed all around, but Konerko, Pierzynski, Dunn, and Rios all look good at the plate and are generally hitting the ball well right now. De Aza looks like he has a plan and usually puts a good swing on the ball every time he comes to the plate. Beckham is still here or there but he looked great tonight, destroying a mistake pitch and then going with two other pitches on the outer half of the plate. Ramirez always looks lost in the early part of the season, so there's nothing I worry about there. Viciedo is a talented hitter and is still learning, but he still needs quite a bit of refinement. The one guy (who I really like) who I just haven't seen anything from this year is Morel. He just doesn't look like he's swinging with any authority whatsoever right now. I don't remember which AB, but there was a pitch tonight that he should have absolutely smoked with the way the bat made contact, and it had absolutely nothing on it. I love him defensively, but he isn't even offering the occasional homer that Crede provided when he was young.

In fact, 3B is probably the one area where the Sox could find a big time upgrade at this season that would be really, really worth it. The one guy who has been mentioned on here before is David Wright, and if the Sox can play above .500 ball through June, I think that is a route Williams will look to take. Even an .800 or so OPS at 3B would be a huge bonus, and Wright has done that quite often in his career. It's too early to even be considering that, because perhaps Morel starts hitting with some authority here soon, but as of now he really seems to be the biggest hole in the entire lineup.

Or, if they want to go "cheap," Edwin Encarnacion, somone of his ilk.

I've given Walker credit for Quentin (although nobody ever really questioned if he was a talented hitter in the draft or as a prospect coming up with the DBacks), for working with Konerko to maintain consistency, for getting the most out of Brent Lillibridge when his career looked over heading in 2011, etc.

As far as DeAza goes, it's hard to reach much of a conclusion about what if anything Walker did, as he was hitting very well all last year in Charlotte. For all we know, the Charlotte hitting coach had more to do with it than anything.

In that 40-54 game zone, we'll know a lot more...although I doubt anything conclusive.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 2, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)
Or, if they want to go "cheap," Edwin Encarnacion, somone of his ilk.

No way. Edwin Encarnacion is in his 8th season in the majors. He's a guy who's bad enough defensively that teams want to move him from the position, but whose bat doesn't translate anywhere else, and he's not bad enough defensively that it keeps you from playing him there.

He's eclipse a WAR of 2 once, and generally sits in the 1.5 range. The Sox simply can't give up anything from their minor league system for such a marginal upgrade. They may as well stick with Morel in that case and let him work through it, or give a shot to anybody else within the organization.