2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Banged up Carlos Quentin didn't have much value at the time everybody, get over it. Simon Castro is quickly becoming one of our top prospects again (something he also was as a Padre) and Hernandez was pitching unbelievably until he got hurt

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Banged up Carlos Quentin didn't have much value at the time everybody, get over it. Simon Castro is quickly becoming one of our top prospects again (something he also was as a Padre) and Hernandez was pitching unbelievably until he got hurt

I wouldn't say Hernandez was pitching unbelievable. That K rate is not something to be desired.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
All the crazy Terry Doyle talk can finally end:

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Sox released Triple-A Charlotte pitcher Terry Doyle so he could pursue opportunities in Japan.

Doyle was 6-3 with a 2.83 ERA in 12 games (11 starts) with the Knights.

I know its a thing of the past now but I still dont understand why he was considered a AAAA prospect by some on here, and why it was "crazy talk" to think he should be in the convo for a starters spot.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:16 PM)

I refuse to get over it :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Cubs changed rotation around, so Sox won't face Samardzija next week.

Yes, and since it doesn't look like Danks will be ready, that series will probably be:

Mon: Garza vs Peavy

Tue: Wood vs Floyd

Wed: Dempster vs Sale

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
Yes, and since it doesn't look like Danks will be ready, that series will probably be:

zOMFG out of the retirement just to defeat the White Sox. WHAT.A.BOSS

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)

We got this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)

First of all, semantics police, Simon Castro was a top Sox prospect while he was a Padre?!?!

Second of all, a guy repeating AA at 24 putting up the numbers he is in an extreme pitcher's ballpark is not something that impresses me a hell of a lot. I'd need to see him pitch, but those numbers don't jump out at me. I don't dare deny talent, but the only guy down there whose numbers really impress me is Santos Rodriguez, and he's a set-up guy at best. Oh, Quintana's do too, but we'll see how long this lasts. Hopefully until about the end of August when the Sox have a nice 7 game lead.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:58 AM)
I bet Quentin will get more for the Padres than we got, but his value is also much higher right now. It is more bad luck than anything else for us.

He could also literally get hurt again at any time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Adam Dunn & Josh Hamilton now have the same number of HR (22). Incredible, since Hamilton has put almost 60 more balls in play (181-123)!

Interesting stat. I figured Dunn would catch up to Hamilton but not so early; Hamilton seemed to slow down dramatically. They could both end up with close to 50 bombs.

Hamilton has a guy with 246 points less in OPS batting behind him.

Dunn has a guy with 98 points more in OPS batting behind him.

Pitchers are going to pitch around Hamilton much less than they pitch around Dunn.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
Interesting stat. I figured Dunn would catch up to Hamilton but not so early; Hamilton seemed to slow down dramatically. They could both end up with close to 50 bombs.

Dunn is on pace for 57 HR at the moment

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Hamilton has a guy with 246 points less in OPS batting behind him.

Dunn has a guy with 98 points more in OPS batting behind him.

Pitchers are going to pitch around Hamilton much less than they pitch around Dunn.

I think you have that backwards.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)

Hamilton had that ridiculous week where he had that 4 homer game and was pretty much unstoppable. He really jumped out in front of the pack when that happened

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:47 AM)
Look at the attendance, and adjust expectations.

What does attendance have to do with the team needing some help? If you're talking about how much the team would be willing to spend on help, that makes sense. But a statement saying the Sox should start looking for help shouldn't be discounted because of low attendance.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
What does attendance have to do with the team needing some help? If you're talking about how much the team would be willing to spend on help, that makes sense. But a statement saying the Sox should start looking for help shouldn't be discounted because of low attendance.

We aren't going to be able to look for players if we can't pay them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:47 AM)
Look at the attendance, and adjust expectations.

True, but ain't the Tribe worse than us?

I don't expect a big name acquisition, but if the rotation outside of Sale Q & Peavy continue to struggle we are in big trouble.

If Danks & Floyd can turn it around before the all star break we will be in good shape, but I have my doubts.

Although Floyd did seem to have a little better stuff last night, but he seems to be in love with that cutter & everytime he throws it it gets murdered.

Revenue >>> Attendance

To just look at the surface and say that our attendance 26th or whatever and that we can't make any moves because of that would be exactly what the fan's conditioned himself to believe.

It's up to JR and KW. If they want the fans to come out, they're going to have to give them something to believe in, especially if they want to keep charging "dynamic" prices.

Dynamic prices are only justified by a dynamic ballclub. We have SOME pieces, but we're at least one pitcher short. If the Indians have the lowest attendance in the majors and much lower average ticket prices than the Sox, there's just no way they're in a "clearly better" position to add than the White Sox, especially after making the Jimenez move last season.

Not to mention the fact that if teams like the Padres are fetching $800 million and upwards, we have the leverage to take on at least one more big contract, especially with Peavy off the books for 2013. Obviously, making it a shorter term commitment would be better at this point.