2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 03:38 AM)
I consider a loyal fanbase one that sticks with a team when it is bad, not blindly believes they are always a good team. That's the difference. Just taking time out of our day to post about this team on a message board all the time proves our loyalties.

Great and accurate post.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 03:38 AM)
I consider a loyal fanbase one that sticks with a team when it is bad, not blindly believes they are always a good team. That's the difference. Just taking time out of our day to post about this team on a message board all the time proves our loyalties.

While this post is excellent...and correct...2nd city does have a point. The Sox are in contention. So to talk about trading away pieces at this time smacks of the White Flag trade. The Sox still need to put butts in the seats...and while that isn't happening now, if they keep winning and are close, those butts will show.

Yes, the Sox want to compete every year...but it is a unique situation. I don't know how long it will take for the Sox to rebound IF they did a complete and massive rebuild. Sox fans are good fans, but finicky fans. We support our team, but not like other clubs fans.

it's too early to talk trade, unless KW is absolutely blown out of the water.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ May 15, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
While this post is excellent...and correct...2nd city does have a point. The Sox are in contention. So to talk about trading away pieces at this time smacks of the White Flag trade. The Sox still need to put butts in the seats...and while that isn't happening now, if they keep winning and are close, those butts will show.

Yes, the Sox want to compete every year...but it is a unique situation. I don't know how long it will take for the Sox to rebound IF they did a complete and massive rebuild. Sox fans are good fans, but finicky fans. We support our team, but not like other clubs fans.

it's too early to talk trade, unless KW is absolutely blown out of the water.

I agree, it'd be foolish to make a trade right now, with the exception of a lefty reliever, since we're pretty loaded there. That shouldn't affect our competitiveness much, as our bullpen is improperly weighted as it is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:38 AM)
You're forgetting replacing Mark Buehrle and the fact that John Danks except for one start has been one of the worst starting pitchers in all of baseball.

I replaced him with CY Peavy, I know he was on the team last year but not this Peavy

Talking trades and actually consummating one are two quite different things. I'm sure if someone made an amazing offer for Matt Thornton or Jesse Crain that KW would pack their bags for them.

As Balta kept on saying all offseason, we had/have to replace 8 wins just to get back to a 79-83 team.

That was predicated on getting positive contributions out of Dunn/Rios/Peavy (check, check and check) but also Viciedo, Morel and Beckham.

So this team needs to be 9 deep in the lineup to replace 8 wins? Adding more than likely 30 more Hrs and 50 more RBIs out of Dunn, 30 more RBIs outta Alex, and a CY worthy Peavy dont equal 8 wins? at least??? As I stated in my rant the books still open on Dayan, gotta wait and see if hes like his fellow cuban Lexi and starts to get hot with the weather. Morel has GOT to go at some point soon as I dont see him figuring it out in the bigs. I still believe in Gordo to turn it around, while he hasnt had a hit the last few days he alsos on K'd once so he still hasn't looked terrible at the dish this month.

If you take the steady contributions of Buehrle out of the equation and add in Danks as one of the worst and Humber continues to look more like a 5th starter than he did in the first half of 2011...as well as figuring in Sale in all likelihood can't withstand pitching anything above 125 or max 150 innings, and you're going to be shutting down Sale or putting him in the bullpen in the heat of the pennant race, well, everything that can go right almost has to go right, and that means we also have to rely on DET to falter for almost the entire season. Finally, add in the mysterious disappearing bat of Alexei Ramirez.

There are 2 WC so we don't have to rely on Det to falter... Lexi starts off slow every year.... I also stated in my last post that if Danks and Humber still are shaky at the deadline then yes this team is in trouble and trade away.

Even in the rosiest point of view, we're an 84-85-86 win team as currently constructed. Is DET likely to finish that low? Second, we KNOW Detroit and Illitch will be willing to go "all out" in June/July to make improvements to their bullpen, 2B, DH abd RF positions.

86 wins still gets you in the playoffs IMO and if Danks turns it around and Peavy and Floyd are still the Peavy and Floyd they are not this team can make SOME noise in the playoffs.

We're certainly not in a position to add payroll this season, either.

You never know how much money they have to play with.

And we have almost nothing in the minor leagues to work with in terms of commodities that could get something useful back for the major league roster.

Best case scenario, we find a veteran 3B ala Herb Perry in 2000 and he catches fire. I suppose that's possible. But it's also trusting KW when he hasn't shown any reason for us to trust him since the end of the 2008 season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 15, 2012 -> 04:38 AM)

I agree with this too but its MAY 15th, i capped that in this post and my last because well...ITS MAY 15TH and we're 2.5 games out! They've been in nearly every game too, and have only been blown out what 2 or 3 times?? I just dont think it's time to start talking about trades yet and thats that

So this team needs to be 9 deep in the lineup to replace 8 wins? Adding more than likely 30 more Hrs and 50 more RBIs out of Dunn, 30 more RBIs outta Alex, and a CY worthy Peavy dont equal 8 wins? at least??? As I stated in my rant the books still open on Dayan, gotta wait and see if hes like his fellow cuban Lexi and starts to get hot with the weather. Morel has GOT to go at some point soon as I dont see him figuring it out in the bigs. I still believe in Gordo to turn it around, while he hasnt had a hit the last few days he alsos on K'd once so he still hasn't looked terrible at the dish this month.

Great. You've gotten us back to 78 wins...which is where I predicted we'd be at the start of the year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Great. You've gotten us back to 78 wins...which is where I predicted we'd be at the start of the year.

I'm not saying thats its worth JUST 8 or 9 games....im wasting my time here, my thoughts are out on this, ill leave it at that and let the season play out.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:18 AM)
Don't call us bad fans because we can't get all enthused over a team still below .500 that's played so s***ty the last 2 plus seasons. Cmon.

Good post, Greg.

And a SOX team that's one game away from being caught by a Royals team without Salvador Perez, Lorenzo Cain, Danny Duffy, Joakim Soria and their best hitter being mired at .176 in Hosmer.

The same team which beat us up at home and are in the process of taking two in a row at the Ballpark in Arlington.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2012 -> 09:47 PM)
And a SOX team that's one game away from being caught by a Royals team without Salvador Perez, Lorenzo Cain, Danny Duffy, Joakim Soria and their best hitter being mired at .176 in Hosmer.

The same team which beat us up at home and are in the process of taking two in a row at the Ballpark in Arlington.

So what you're saying these Royals aren't that bad after all?

The way I look at Beckham now, just let him finish out the season with the big league club as his last chance with the White Sox.

If he turns it around, great. If he doesn't, make a trade. Given his defense, there will probably be a few teams that would want to take a chance with him.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 16, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
The way I look at Beckham now, just let him finish out the season with the big league club as his last chance with the White Sox.

If he turns it around, great. If he doesn't, make a trade. Given his defense, there will probably be a few teams that would want to take a chance with him.

If he sucks, he won't be traded. He will be non-tendered

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
If he sucks, he won't be traded. He will be non-tendered

I wouldn't say that's for sure. Could be a lower level minor leaguer just as a token trade, but I guess he could be non-tendered if there's no interest in him from other teams. It's not like he would get anything major in arbitration.

Either way, I think it's safe to say this is his last season with the Sox unless he hits the last four months of the season and they think he's turned the corner.

I don't see why you non-tender GB unless you have someone to replace him. I'm aware that he's terrible, but why replace terrible with horrendous? Doesn't gain us anything and it's not like he's expensive.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't see why you non-tender GB unless you have someone to replace him. I'm aware that he's terrible, but why replace terrible with horrendous? Doesn't gain us anything and it's not like he's expensive.

He hits his arb years next year, which means his price is going to go up.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
He hits his arb years next year, which means his price is going to go up.

His numbers are terrible, though. How much more expensive could he get? Perhaps I'm showing my arbitration ignorance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
Juan Pierre 2012 OPS .740.

As much as people want to say Rios has turned the corner, he really hasn't.

I don't know. You're looking at one stat. Granted, it's a good measurement of a player's ability to get on base and his power, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

He's on pace (based on the same number of PA as last year) for 19 doubles, 12 triples (very unlikely), 4 HRs (low), 55 RBIs, 16 stolen bases, and 39 walks...with a .275 BA. Last year he had 22 doubles, 2 triples, 13 HRs, 44 RBIs, 11 solten bases, and 27 walks...with a .227 BA.

Granted his projected numbers aren't all star caliber, but they are a significant improvement over last year.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 16, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
I don't know. You're looking at one stat. Granted, it's a good measurement of a player's ability to get on base and his power, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

He's on pace (based on the same number of PA as last year) for 19 doubles, 12 triples (very unlikely), 4 HRs (low), 55 RBIs, 16 stolen bases, and 39 walks...with a .275 BA. Last year he had 22 doubles, 2 triples, 13 HRs, 44 RBIs, 11 solten bases, and 27 walks...with a .227 BA.

Granted his projected numbers aren't all star caliber, but they are a significant improvement over last year.

There's no question he's better than last year, but he's still not good.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
There's no question he's better than last year, but he's still not good.

Okay, I can agree there. It's a shame that we look at him as being "good" because of how bad he's been.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 16, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
His numbers are terrible, though. How much more expensive could he get? Perhaps I'm showing my arbitration ignorance.

If he keeps hitting this craptackularly, he'd be on pace for something like $2.5 million. Maybe, maybe you can stomach that, but then that would go up to $4-$5 million in his 2nd arbitration year.

Is there a place to view late inning pressure situation (LIPS) stats for hitters? I was thinking earlier today that outside of one AB vs the Cubs a few years ago, Beckham has seemingly sucked big time at the end of games.