2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 16, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Megabust Gordon Beckham career OPS .694.

The new and improved Alex Rios current 2012 OPS .713.

I think I'll become a good White Sox fan again the day Alex Rios is finally an ex-Sox.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 16, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
The way he plays defense, you could deal Gordo for some sort of prospect.

I keep thinking of Josh Fields when I think of Beckham now.

He still has 2-3 teams to go before baseball will give up on Beckham. Fields lasted a long time.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 16, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)

He still has 2-3 teams to go before baseball will give up on Beckham. Fields lasted a long time.

He has?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 16, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)
Is there a place to view late inning pressure situation (LIPS) stats for hitters? I was thinking earlier today that outside of one AB vs the Cubs a few years ago, Beckham has seemingly sucked big time at the end of games.

Go to B-R, go to splits for the season or career, scroll down to the situational splits, and you want "Close and Late".

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 16, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)

No, he hasn't. He's minor league fodder at this point and has been for a few years (save the time he spent in Japan where he was still awful).

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 16, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
No, he hasn't. He's minor league fodder at this point and has been for a few years (save the time he spent in Japan where he was still awful).

He's a testament to how bad the farm system has been under the KW regime. The ability to catch a baseball means nothing and Kenny replaces him with an even more expensive person that could catch a baseball. I have suspicions the current Sox manager may be activated as a player manager just in case they can't fill that hole.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 16, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
Winning pitchers today: Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Clayton Richard, Gio Gonzalez.

Also: Carlos Lee homered... And Carlos Quentin received a cortisone shot.

@ckamka

This is awesome, I suggest you all follow.

And Juan Pierre dropped another routine fly ball

Some things of note.

Indians no home runs in 11 straight games, first game against the Sox, streak ends

Ryan Raburn only home run, and batting .149 mind you, Sox pitcher allows him to change a game with a three run shot after hitting a guy and giving up a 6 run lead in a matter of seconds

Jhonny Peralta only home run this year, walk off two run shot against White Sox

Albert Pujols is stuggling this year....no worries White Sox pitching will get him back on track

Yes the White Sox seem to able to let struggling players beat them.

Appreciate the Game

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
Some things of note.

Indians no home runs in 11 straight games, first game against the Sox, streak ends

Ryan Raburn only home run, and batting .149 mind you, Sox pitcher allows him to change a game with a three run shot after hitting a guy and giving up a 6 run lead in a matter of seconds

Albert Pujols is stuggling this year....no worries White Sox pitching will get him back on track

Appreciate the Game

Struggling players and rookies. The Sox have always had trouble with pitchers taking the mound for the first time. I think I could go out there and limit the Sox to a couple hits. I could hear Hawk: "You know, Stoney, our hitters are having a real tough time hitting that 68 mile per hour fastball. That reminds me of a time when I was playing for the Carmines..."

Some things of note.

Appreciate the Game

Was just thinking this last night. The Twins come to town next week, so I'm sure they will go on a roll against the Sox.

Some things of note.

Appreciate the Game

I'm sure you could make list that goes the other way as well. I know we beat up Smyly worse than anyone else has this year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)
I'm sure you could make list that goes the other way as well. I know we beat up Smyly worse than anyone else has this year.

This.

The Sox will go at good players, roll over for s***ty ones.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 05:29 PM)

ie: Alex Rios beating the Rangers on only homer of the year!

Looking at some UZR's for our guys and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Guys with negative UZR I expected to be positive: Alexei, Gordon, Morel (Morel had a ~0 rating last year, too)

Surprising to see that it was positive: ADA, Paulie

No surprise: Dayan (negative), Rios (positive)

I don't feel like Gordon and Alexei are playing poor defense by any stretch. Is there a sample size issue with UZR, am I overrating the stat, or what?

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Looking at some UZR's for our guys and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Guys with negative UZR I expected to be positive: Alexei, Gordon, Morel (Morel had a ~0 rating last year, too)

Surprising to see that it was positive: ADA, Paulie

No surprise: Dayan (negative), Rios (positive)

I don't feel like Gordon and Alexei are playing poor defense by any stretch. Is there a sample size issue with UZR, am I overrating the stat, or what?

There is a huge sample size issue with UZR, especially early in a season, because one play where you get a big jump or cover more ground than expected or where the ball hangs up because of the wind can push you more positive than you should be, while a unique misplay/error/wet ball/wind can push things negative.

It's not "useless" early in the year, but it has to be taken with a grain of salt. A full season of data is usually the minimum to really start making comparisons...sometimes even multiple seasons.

Morel might be disappointing on D a bit because of his back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:29 AM)

When Brent Morel hits a three run homer with the team down by four or Eduardo Escobar hits a walk off two run shot, let me know.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
When Brent Morel hits a three run homer with the team down by four or Eduardo Escobar hits a walk off two run shot, let me know.

You realize you just put Brent Morel and Eduardo Escobar in the same vein as Albert Pujols, Ryan Raburn, and Perralta? :lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
You realize you just put Brent Morel and Eduardo Escobar in the same vein as Albert Pujols, Ryan Raburn, and Perralta? :lolhitting

Pujols no but the other two sure.

The other two have one home run and they were game changing home runs this year that is all I am saying. When Escobar and Morel do that, than I will be at peace with the situation.