2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales

Hudson tentatively scheduled to start at third and bat ninth Wednesday night

woohoo!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 23, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
It's a pet peeve of mine when someone who is paid to write about baseball doesn't understand the difference between at-bats and plate appearances. Dunn did not have 11 at-bats in the weekend series. He had eight at-bats with two hits, and an additional six plate appearances that resulted in walks.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Even saying he had 11 at-bats is inaccurate. He had 14 plate appearances with 2 hits and 6 walks. It is annoying when professionals can't get stuff like that right.

Agreed. I wondered if it was a semantics issue, but it seems that 11 was a number he just pulled out of his ass

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
Has anyone else looked at Gordon Beckham's twitter and put 2 and 2 together and figured out he's dating Scott Fletcher's daughter? Interesting, if nothing else.

He was on last night's episode of Bill and Guiliana when he showed up at the opening night of their new restaurant, as I think he was accompanied by his sisters.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jake @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:45 PM)
Stat of the day -- Alexei Ramirez 2012 BABIP: .239 Career BABIP: .290

Bad luck?

I hope so. That whole "he starts slow every year" excuse doesn't work as well come late May or early June.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
obamaj.jpg

All he has to say is Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko and nobody gives a s***. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying, those are two very well recognized names that people will always associate with the White Sox.

Oh, and he doesn't have 2 seconds to look at a box score, but he does have time to do 2 nationally televised March Madness brackets.

I generally don't care and I do agree with the general principle that any Presidential publicity is good publicity for a professional team, but don't excuse the fact that he doesn't know anybody because he's busy. Just say "he doesn't care that much about baseball but if he had to pick a team, because you do when you are a Chicagoan, he is a Sox fan first." It's much simple and causes me to make fewer posts like this one.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
All he has to say is Frank Thomas or Paul Konerko and nobody gives a s***. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying, those are two very well recognized names that people will always associate with the White Sox.

Oh, and he doesn't have 2 seconds to look at a box score, but he does have time to do 2 nationally televised March Madness brackets.

I generally don't care and I do agree with the general principle that any Presidential publicity is good publicity for a professional team, but don't excuse the fact that he doesn't know anybody because he's busy. Just say "he doesn't care that much about baseball but if he had to pick a team, because you do when you are a Chicagoan, he is a Sox fan first." It's much simple and causes me to make fewer posts like this one.

Maybe he was worried about which response would net him the best light in the view of the public. Does he make sure to pick a favorite with a squeeky clean past? (No Ozzie). Does he pick a white player, a black player, latino? Does he say he loved the underdog, or does he pick the fan favorite?

Unfortunately, sometimes these things actually come across people's minds.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:24 AM)
Maybe he was worried about which response would net him the best light in the view of the public. Does he make sure to pick a favorite with a squeeky clean past? (No Ozzie). Does he pick a white player, a black player, latino? Does he say he loved the underdog, or does he pick the fan favorite?

Unfortunately, sometimes these things actually come across people's minds.

I was thinking that too.

Also, it's such a kiddie question. I'd be caught off guard a little too. Not something I think about regularly, and I'm not quite sure if I necessarily have a "favorite player" at the moment.

He goes out of his way to show his support for the Sox, and that's more than enough for me. It would be lame if he was a regular ol' soxtalk geek anyways. He's got better, more important things to do...

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 24, 2012 -> 12:45 AM)
I was thinking that too.

Also, it's such a kiddie question. I'd be caught off guard a little too. Not something I think about regularly, and I'm not quite sure if I necessarily have a "favorite player" at the moment.

He goes out of his way to show his support for the Sox, and that's more than enough for me. It would be lame if he was a regular ol' soxtalk geek anyways. He's got better, more important things to do...

I mean, I can answer mine pretty easily.

Growing up: Magglio

Current: Sale (Viciedo and Paulie are up there)

QUOTE (flavum @ May 23, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)
Has anyone else looked at Gordon Beckham's twitter and put 2 and 2 together and figured out he's dating Scott Fletcher's daughter? Interesting, if nothing else.

Georgia boys always stick together. Scooter's daughter, hmm....

The funny thing is that Fletcher is also Greg Walker's assistant hitting coach with the Braves.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)

http://spectator.org/blog/2010/04/06/re-ob...ite-white-sox-p

This same question has come up in the past. In fact, at that time it wasn't answered, either, sparking this column.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 23, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
We're 1.5 games out of a playoff spot.

Unless I'm missing something, mlb.com doesn't even have wildcard standings yet. I guess they're really trying to hammer home the division races.

ESPN.com has wildcard standings. http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/wild-card

Baseball would be better if they just ditched the divisions, stacked all the teams, and had the top teams make the playoffs in the right order. If it's going to be 5 of 15 next year, there's really no need for 3 divisions.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
Some high praise anyone?

Bert Blyleven ‏@CircleMeBertHOF

White Sox starter Chris Sale had nasty stuff tonight vs. Twins. 7 shutout inning in a 6-0 win. Reminds me of a young Randy Johnson

That is high praise. Good job Chris Sale!

Going to the game tonight in a group outing, second year in a row organizing it for this group.

24 people total, patio party before the game, can't wait to get obliterated and watch some baseball to celebrate my first week as a fulltimer.

Paulie's next homer will be his 400th in a White Sox uniform. I wonder where they will put his statue.

He's only 49 behind the Big Hurt for the White Sox record. I never thought he stood a chance, but now I'm thinking if he doesn't get hurt, he's probably going to do it.

Edited by Dick Allen