2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:28 PM)
Brent needs to really prove himself at AAA. He needs to be hitting like a guy who doens't belong there, like De Aza was doing the last year when he was blocked by Pierre or Quentin when he would murder the ball on a rehab stint. Hitting well over .300 with serious extra base power and no issues defensivelly.

If he can't do that, then burn an option or re-start the clock on his rehab stint.

That's a good post IMO. If Morel during a rehab game or 3 is 1-for-11, by no means should he come back up and do the same for the big league club.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2012 -> 06:31 PM)
That's a good post IMO. If Morel during a rehab game or 3 is 1-for-11, by no means should he come back up and do the same for the big league club.

"1 for 11" would be too soonn to even consider. I wouldn't want him back if he were 8 for 11. I want a full 2 weeks or so of him legitimately hitting with no setbacks/flareups.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
I don't think so. I hated Terrell Owens, I hated Daniel Carcillo. I don't suddenly like players that I've previously had a reason to hate before they join one of my favorite teams.

I was the same with Albert Belle.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 30, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
You know, you can just put your responses to each quote between the quotes. It's a pain to keep scrolling up and down to see what you're responding to.

It just pains me to read his comments anyway. Put him on ignore and enjoy life more.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 30, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)
How many people do you think will show up to Friday's game? 30K? Weather shouldn't be too bad, plus there's fireworks. This team's also pretty damn good...

I don't know, the temp is supposed to be in the 50s and cloudy, which could hurt walk-up sales. That's cold for June 1, especially after the last weekend. 30k is more likely Saturday or Sunday IMO.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 30, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
I don't think so. I hated Terrell Owens, I hated Daniel Carcillo. I don't suddenly like players that I've previously had a reason to hate before they join one of my favorite teams.

Clearly there are exceptions, but if you'd hate Brett Lawrie coming to the Sox, then there is no hope for you as a sports fan.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12874157-57...x-together.html

Jose Quintana’s purpose pitch brings surging White Sox together

BY DARYL VAN SCHOUWEN dvanschouwen@suntimes.com May 30, 2012 11:10PM

Updated: May 31, 2012 2:23AM

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — The White Sox extended their winning streak to eight games by completing a three-game sweep of the Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday.

They headed for home after a 4-3 victory flying high on the team charter, a tighter and close-knit bunch.

Winning will do that.

So will players having each ­other’s backs.

At Wrigley Field, when this hot streak was just getting started a week and a half ago, it was nice guy Philip Humber throwing behind Cubs cleanup man Bryan LaHair’s neck after Paul Konerko took a pitch in the eye from Jeff Samardzija.

At Tropicana Field, it was rookie left-hander Jose Quintana throwing behind cleanup man Ben Zobrist’s legs with two out and nobody on base in the fourth inning after Gordon Beckham and A.J. Pierzynski were hit and Orlando Hudson was buzzed by Rays right-hander Alex Cobb.

Quintana was thrown out of the game by plate umpire Brian Wegner, a seemingly quick-trigger move that “shocked” Robin Ventura and led to his first ejection as a manager. Quintana wasn’t able to qualify for a win with 3 2/3 innings in his second start, but he received a greater badge of honor with pats on the back and high fives from every one of his teammates in the clubhouse after the game.

Last season, the Sox were hit 84 times. Their pitchers hit opposing batters 44 times and, as more than one team source said privately in the aftermath of Wednesday’s game, it grated on the hitters. That kind of disparity can lead to divisiveness in the clubhouse.

That’s not about to happen under Ventura and his coaching staff’s watch.

“It’s a team game and we ended up getting the win and that’s what’s important,’’ said bench coach Mark Parent, who took over as manager for Ventura after the ejections.

Will more wins come as a result? Good pitching, hitting and defense will have more to do with that than emotion. But teams have rallied behind this sort of thing before.

Flash back to the 2000 Sox, who bonded after brawling with the Detroit Tigers on April 22. Sixteen players from both sides were given suspensions from that one, and the Sox used it as a rallying point. They went on to win 95 games and capture the AL Central under manager Jerry Manuel.

The 2012 Sox, a year after “cohesive” was never used to describe a splintered clubhouse under outgoing manager Ozzie Guillen, are tight, together, bonded. They’re also 29-22 with 12 victories in their last 13 games and 16 in their last 21. They are no longer the dark horses everybody thought they were going into the season.

And they’re not going to sit around letting somebody kick sand in their face.

Good teams such as the swept-away Rays know that now. They know what was going down.

“It was pretty obvious he was trying to throw at me,’’ Zobrist said. “I think the umpire knew that too … it was smart [of Wegner] to make that call without having any warnings to either bench.’’

“It was pretty obvious he was trying to throw at me,’’ Zobrist said. “I think the umpire knew that too … it was smart [of Wegner] to make that call without having any warnings to either bench.’’

F*ck yourself, dude. You didn't even get hit. These are Major League players and if Quintana wanted to hit you, he would have. It was simply a warning and should have been simply followed by a warning from that dolt Wegner.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)

F*ck yourself, dude. You didn't even get hit. These are Major League players and if Quintana wanted to hit you, he would have. It was simply a warning and should have been simply followed by a warning from that dolt Wegner.

As opposed to the guy who actually got hit after being thrown at, and didn't get anything...

I watched the video of this interview...he was pretty critical of AJ...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:28 AM)
I watched the video of this interview...he was pretty critical of AJ...

As he should have. What AJ did was an unnecessary, bush league play. AJ started it and his pitcher paid the price. I think if Beckham hadn't been hit nothing would have happened. But eventually you do need to protect your players if it looks like it's getting out of control.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 31, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
As he should have. What AJ did was an unnecessary, bush league play. AJ started it and his pitcher paid the price. I think if Beckham hadn't been hit nothing would have happened. But eventually you do need to protect your players if it looks like it's getting out of control.

I think AJ was happy to take a HBP for spiking Zobrist. Throwing at Zobrist may have had something to do with Becks being hit or there very well may be something we don't know about Zobrist's reaction to the AJ play. What people say to each other in those situations...we cannot know but who knows, maybe Zobrist said something personal/offensive/worse than "f*** you"

They sure took it as if Zobrist got hit. We're lucky De Aza's not hurt badly. If he was, we'd be kinda screwed.

This same guy would have been b****ing about the umpires if his pitcher had got thrown out of the game without a warning. Same goes for Maddon. No one is going to say their own player deserved to be thrown out. I hope someone gets plunked when they come to the Cell.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:36 AM)
This same guy would have been b****ing about the umpires if his pitcher had got thrown out of the game without a warning. Same goes for Maddon. No one is going to say their own player deserved to be thrown out. I hope someone gets plunked when they come to the Cell.

Chances are, said player will be wearing the Pale Hose.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
Chances are, said player will be wearing the Pale Hose.

At least the players know they have a manager who will actually do something about it, instead of b****ing to Joe Cowley.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 31, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
I think AJ was happy to take a HBP for spiking Zobrist. Throwing at Zobrist may have had something to do with Becks being hit or there very well may be something we don't know about Zobrist's reaction to the AJ play. What people say to each other in those situations...we cannot know but who knows, maybe Zobrist said something personal/offensive/worse than "f*** you"

Zobrist stated in that interview that he told AJ what he thought about the slide...whether that happened when the slide occurred, or in subsequent PA's, I dunno...but he said he told AJ and AJ didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

My guess is the throwing behind Zobrist might have been more a reaction to that conversation, which explains why Zobrist was so quick to laugh about it at the plate.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 31, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Did Alexi almost overrun that last pop out in short left, or was I seeing things? If he missed that, two runs prob score, game over.

Probably was having problems with seeing it against the roof

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 31, 2012 -> 03:17 AM)
It just pains me to read his comments anyway. Put him on ignore and enjoy life more.

If my comments affected your life where you couldn't "enjoy life" as much ... wow. A message board affects your life??

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 31, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)

Hal McRae made a living out of spiking a ton of second basemen and shortstops. It's part of the game.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 31, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
Did Alexi almost overrun that last pop out in short left, or was I seeing things? If he missed that, two runs prob score, game over.

I was thinking that was tank's ball, but no harm no foul.

Is there some way I can see what pitches a player hits home runs on? I'm interested in what pitches some of our guys hit out the most frequently (ie, does Adam Dunn only hit home runs on fastballs? etc)