2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

Wow, I definitely have lost any respect for Fox Sports after this. I may be bias, but how could the Sox lose 4 spots in the rankings after a series in Texas where they played the defending champs that tough?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/powerRankings

Behind Cleveland and the Royals by that much and only 2 spots ahead of the Cubs is a little ridicules in my book. I don't expect them to be ranked in the top 10, but come on.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
Wow, I definitely have lost any respect for Fox Sports after this. I may be bias, but how could the Sox lose 4 spots in the rankings after a series in Texas where they played the defending champs that tough?

Behind Cleveland and the Royals by that much and only 2 spots ahead of the Cubs is a little ridicules in my book. I don't expect them to be ranked in the top 10, but come on.

Yeah, it's pretty illogical for the Sox to start one spot behind Cleveland, sweep Cleveland (albeit in two games) and end up losing 4 spots while Cleveland stays the same...

However, baseball is a marathon, as they say, so I'm not sure any set of 5 games is going to change their opinion of the Sox much at all

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)
Yeah, it's pretty illogical for the Sox to start one spot behind Cleveland, sweep Cleveland (albeit in two games) and end up losing 4 spots while Cleveland stays the same...

However, baseball is a marathon, as they say, so I'm not sure any set of 5 games is going to change their opinion of the Sox much at all

That's just it though. opinion of the team overall should change slowly if they're basing this off of future projections. How then can you justify dropping 4 spots, while both Cleveland and the Cubs stay approximately the same if this is what they are basing this on?

If they are basing this on the way the teams are currently playing, again, how can you drop them 4 spots and leave Cleveland where they are at based on the first weeks performance?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
That's just it though. opinion of the team overall should change slowly if they're basing this off of future projections. How then can you justify dropping 4 spots, while both Cleveland and the Cubs stay approximately the same if this is what they are basing this on?

If they are basing this on the way the teams are currently playing, again, how can you drop them 4 spots and leave Cleveland where they are at based on the first weeks performance?

I don't think the Sox played any differently than the Orioles, Mariners, Pirates and Mets....who all moved passed the Sox.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)

It is cool in the media to hate on the White Sox. There is no magic player that they can hop on the bandwagon of or side show antics so the media will just over look them.

Media today is horses*** there is no time or effort put into anything, simply speak to Phil Rogers and call it a day if you are outside of Chicago and Phil Rogers is a f***ing idiot.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
It is cool in the media to hate on the White Sox. There is no magic player that they can hop on the bandwagon of or side show antics so the media will just over look them.

Media today is horses*** there is no time or effort put into anything, simply speak to Phil Rogers and call it a day if you are outside of Chicago and Phil Rogers is a f***ing idiot.

I got a laugh out of that one. I'm so bored today, I've even read a couple of Phil Rogers colums for a laugh.

When do we play next, it can't come fast enough? I despise early season off days.

:gosox4:

Some members of the media may still be bitter over how bad we underperformed last year. Regardless, I think the hate the Sox are getting is beyond ridiculous. But then again, a huge number of people on this site are sleeping on this team too.

There is simply too much talent on this roster to not be in the mix of things this year. People are also underestimating how much damage Ozzie caused last year with his terrible managing. Robin will certainly make some rookie mistakes, but he's going to be worth a couple wins over Ozzie IMO.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...lb&c_id=mlb

Paul Konerko has 396 home runs, the fourth most for any player in history who owns fewer than 10 triples in his career. Konerko's 396 homers are also the most for any player who has failed to reach 10 career triples and 10 career steals.

In 2010, Konerko became one of eight players in the modern era to have his first 160 OPS+ season (while qualifying for the batting title) in his age-34 season or older. The others were Hall of Famers Zack Wheat in 1924, Ernie Lombardi in '42, Billy Williams in '72 and Tony Gwynn in '94, along with non-immortals Mike Grady in '04, Bob Johnson in '44 and Phil Weintraub in '44.

Since the start of the 2010 season, Konerko is tied for the fifth-best OPS+ in the Majors for all players with at least 1,000 plate appearances. The only men above him on this list are Miguel Cabrera, Jose Bautista, Joey Votto and Albert Pujols.

From his late-career surge to his numerous rankings high atop the White Sox all-time leader boards, Konerko has constructed a fascinating career.

More Konerko

Konerko's RBI double in the first inning of Chicago's win over the Indians gave him 3,530 total bases and moved him past Luke Appling for sole possession of second place on the South Siders' all-time list. For the franchise, Konerko is also third in doubles (363), fifth in hits (1,985), fifth in runs (1,022), second in home runs (389), second in RBIs (1,237), fourth in walks (795) and second in extra-base hits (760).

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
The outrage of all this is ferociously minimized by the total and undeniable unimportance of "Power Rankings."

An excellent point.

For some reason, I always want approval from the media regardless of how meaningless these rankings are and how little thought the writers consistently put into them.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:55 PM)
A few Sox players at the Bulls game tonight. I know Beckham and Reed are there for sure.

He surprised the Score guys with a cake and mentioned he'd be going to the game tonight, amongst other interesting remarks about his approach this season.

Another nugget, he said that Paul Konerko is the guy he hangs out with the most on the team, which is very interesting to me.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
The Angel's best reliever, Scott Downs sustained what looks to be a serious injury today and could be out for a while.

Trade Thornton for Alberto Callaspo and play him at 3rd and hit him 2nd.

I happen to like Morel quite a bit.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
The Angel's best reliever, Scott Downs sustained what looks to be a serious injury today and could be out for a while.

Trade Thornton for Alberto Callaspo and play him at 3rd and hit him 2nd.

You can't be serious.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 07:59 AM)
A 29 year old, 2nd year arb-eligible IF with a career .722 OPS.

I second 2k5's statement.

I think we can do better than essentially a utility infielder for one of the best lefty set up men in baseball.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
Bet the cubs get into that......if you want to rebuild crain and thorton for trout. Angels pen is a wreck.

:lolhitting

They wouldn't even come close to considering that, but if we're talking moves we'd make right now, that's the kind of thing the Sox should do. Shoot for the bleeping moon until we have some idea where the team actually is.