White Sox @ Rangers

justBLAZE

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So now a have a question? Did Santiago know that he was the closer until the ninth inning tonight? I don't think so. Yesterday he said something about just being told to warm up and be ready.

I criticized Ventura on not revealing Santiago as the closer (when he was). Maybe now in hindsight Robin didn't want to make Santiago too nervous or think about it too much. He just threw Santiago into the fire and didn't let Santiago overthink or have a restless night.

Or am I now giving Ventura too much credit? But , if the above is the case, that is pretty good managing.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
So now a have a question? Did Santiago know that he was the closer until the ninth inning tonight? I don't think so. Yesterday he said something about just being told to warm up and be ready.

I criticized Ventura on not revealing Santiago as the closer (when he was). Maybe now in hindsight Robin didn't want to make Santiago too nervous or think about it too much. He just threw Santiago into the fire and didn't let Santiago overthink or have a restless night.

Or am I now giving Ventura too much credit? But , if the above is the case, that is pretty good managing.

Cooper on the radio Friday made it sound like the players knew but they were not telling the media.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Cooper on the radio Friday made it sound like the players knew but they were not telling the media.

OK, then was Robin trying to protect Santiago from the media? Guess I am trying to figure out why Robin or Cooper (or anybody) didn't reveal it (if they knew). Just to make it more dramatic? Ventura not into drama from what I see.

Edited by sunofgold

why does it matter if the public knows as long as the team knows

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
OK, then was Robin trying to protect Santiago from the media? Guess I am trying to figure out why Robin or Cooper (or anybody) didn't reveal it (if they knew). Just to make it more dramatic? Ventura not into drama from what I see.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 7, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)

I think your first thought is correct. Media asking him questions leading up to opening day.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 04:27 AM)

I thought it was pretty obvious it was Santiago based on the spring training games where Ventura actually managed the bullpen.

Wait a sec, I thought the only way to protect players was to spout off about other countries politics, or proclaim if this doesn't work to fire me, or to have one of your sons (or lousy newspaper reporter friends) get into a twitter fight with a former player or current boss. I didn't realise that just keeping your mouth shut worked as well. You learn something new each day.