The Cell is getting WiFi

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Last year I spent 5 minutes trying to post a picture of Derrick Rose on facebook during warmups of the Hawks/Bulls game 6. The purpose of this was entirely to make 5 specific people jealous of the fact that I was at the game and they were not. I was unable to do so, but eventually got a picture of Noah to go through which eventually served that purpose.

Allowing me to brag to friends during the game that I am at the game is, for me, the point.

Alright. You get a pass

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
It's good for the business execs and corporate outings who attend the game. It's just the world we live in now, having access to at least your email is a necessity it seems. And if spending a few thousand dollars on wifi means happier relationships with the millionaires and companies that attend, I think it's well worth the investment.

It is for those 1 per centers :)

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
It is for those 1 per centers :)

I think those people who are invested in their fantasy baseball teams, other teams around the league, or social media would enjoy it.

Simply put, this can't HURT any more than it will help. If only 1 person gets use of it, it's worth it. Either way, I'm under the impression the Sox are GETTING money from this deal, not spending money, right?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
If I see someone bring their Apple iPad to a game, I'd make it a point to "accidentally" spill something on it. I think tablets so dumb, and then when I see someone who buys Apple's tablet? Facepalm.

I find people who have an illogical hatred of tablets amusing. You don't like them, fine don't buy one. But making jokes about destroying a persons property because of your personal biases is sad.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 07:21 PM)
I find people who have an illogical hatred of tablets amusing. You don't like them, fine don't buy one. But making jokes about destroying a persons property because of your personal biases is sad.

Who said I was joking?

And where is your outrage for the OP who appears to dislike people who bring their laptops to a game? Talk about personal biases....

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Does anyone really bring laptops or iPads to games?

I sat in the scout seats a few years ago, and the guy in the M&Ms jacket brought his laptop. He was on it the entire game. He also stood up and turned around and looked at the fans behind him and the announcers booth between every half inning. Really annoying to sit behind.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
I sat in the scout seats a few years ago, and the guy in the M&Ms jacket brought his laptop. He was on it the entire game. He also stood up and turned around and looked at the fans behind him and the announcers booth between every half inning. Really annoying to sit behind.

That screams attention whore.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:55 PM)

Just think about how much you could post on Soxtalk while at a game.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 05:43 PM)
If I see someone bring their Apple iPad to a game, I'd make it a point to "accidentally" spill something on it. I think tablets so dumb, and then when I see someone who buys Apple's tablet? Facepalm.

Um, I did too until I got my first tablet and now an iPad. They're awesome.

Although why the hell I would bring one to a game... I would never do that. For what?

It's bad enough people who are the phone the whole time, but tablets/laptops?

Another slide into the HDG (Head Down Generation).

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
Um, I did too until I got my first tablet and now an iPad. They're awesome.

Although why the hell I would bring one to a game... I would never do that. For what?

It's bad enough people who are the phone the whole time, but tablets/laptops?

Another slide into the HDG (Head Down Generation).

My mom has the Kindle Fire and it's fun to mess around on, but I just don't find tablets practical. If you are going to carry around something so big, might as well just carry around a netbook, or a laptop. I feel like WELL over half the people who own a tablet have it for the "look what I have!" factor, especially the ones who buy Apple's tablet. But then again, that's true for pretty much anyone who buys an Apple device over other devices. But I could go on for days about this, and it's not really the thread for that.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)
My mom has the Kindle Fire and it's fun to mess around on, but I just don't find tablets practical. If you are going to carry around something so big, might as well just carry around a netbook, or a laptop. I feel like WELL over half the people who own a tablet have it for the "look what I have!" factor, especially the ones who buy Apple's tablet. But then again, that's true for pretty much anyone who buys an Apple device over other devices. But I could go on for days about this, and it's not really the thread for that.

IMO, the only advantage of a tablet is the ability to write on it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 12:50 PM)

You don't know what you're talking about.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 13, 2012 -> 12:55 PM)
You don't know what you're talking about.

He's got a point. A lot of people buy Apple projects because

a) it's some sort of a symbol that you have money

b) it's popular (i.e. it's Apple)

c) it's easy to use and they don't care about the restrictions that comes with iOS.

But then again, there's also that point where the iPad easily has the best hardware of any tablet out there.

when the iPad first came out we say a guy with one at the Cell, he had a app that let him "keep the book" that was pretty neat, but I do agree it really seemed weird to bring it to a game.

as far as the apple hate...whatever....keep hating....when nobody had them people made fun of apple owners for that, now everyone has apple products and they make fun of them for everyone having one......jealous much?

Free wifi! If you have a good seat, you can stream the game for people here trying to find a link to a live free. And YOU can be the announcer. I am pretty sure that you can do that with an iphone.

Personally, I love Apple products! Who starts all of these trends..mp3 players (ipod), smartphones (iphone), tablets (ipad)......APPLE! And now they have an app that slays the textbook. Sweet.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
Bingo. That and the smug, elitist attitude that comes in almost every box.

In my experience the anti-apple crew are equally smug in their reverse-elitist conviction that anything not made by apple is superior by default.

As for tablets, it is impossible to get a true feel for what they can do by messing around with a kindle Fire. Try a good Android tablet if apple's not an option. Late model tablets have 70% of a laptop's performance at 35% of the price, weight, and bulk.

But anything larger than a phone does not belong at the ballpark.

QUOTE (11and1 @ Apr 14, 2012 -> 03:30 PM)
He's a whore all right. He gets paid by M&M to wear that jacket in a seat that guarantees he appears in ~ 80% of a given broadcast.

Love to watch him sweat when it's 85 and humid.

I thought he's the guy that owns Windy City Limosine?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Cool. I'm not sure if I would ever bring my laptop to a game (unless I was in the skybox), but if I ever do get a smart phone, it would be nice to use the WiFi at the games. I'm actually surprised it took so long. I feel like Wrigley has had WiFi for a long time.

No, they're just stealing bandwidth from their neighbors.