4/17 Games

flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
Axelrod is actually pitching well so far this season.

He pitched really well last season too. I've never quite understood why he is never talked about. I'm sure the scouting reports must not be glowing on him, but he does seem to put up really solid numbers, and that's got to count for something. Right now he has a 20:3 K/BB in 17 IP.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
He pitched really well last season too. I've never quite understood why he is never talked about. I'm sure the scouting reports must not be glowing on him, but he does seem to put up really solid numbers, and that's got to count for something. Right now he has a 20:3 K/BB in 17 IP.

He had a legit shot to earn the bullpen role in spring training and I was actually surprised he didn't step up and grab it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 07:59 PM)
He had a legit shot to earn the bullpen role in spring training and I was actually surprised he didn't step up and grab it.

If you think about it, his slow, offspeed pitches could have been negatively impacted by the tough pitching conditions in Arizona. I wish he was the long reliever for the big league club.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
If you think about it, his slow, offspeed pitches could have been negatively impacted by the tough pitching conditions in Arizona. I wish he was the long reliever for the big league club.

It's certainly plausible that he'll get that job sooner rather than later.

Of course, it's also fairly likely we'll need a spot starter if someone tires out or hits the Dl here in a few weeks too, and compared to Stewart, Axelrod will be stretched out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
It's certainly plausible that he'll get that job sooner rather than later.

Of course, it's also fairly likely we'll need a spot starter if someone tires out or hits the Dl here in a few weeks too, and compared to Stewart, Axelrod will be stretched out.

Doubleheader May 7th too.

Justin Greene went from 4/25 to 7/28 with 2 doubles and a triple.

Talk about increasing your average by almost 100 points in a game.

Castro pitched a close to great game, ended up 7 K's.

Saladino had 3 walks but still in the 120's.

Trayce with a double, at 225.

Carlos Sanchez 1 for 4 with yet another walk. He's the anti-Beckham/Morel in terms of OBP.

Edited by caulfield12

In AA and AAA, it's basically only Kuhn and McPherson.

Neither players are going to make much of an impact with the major league team, barring a minor miracle.

Lillibridge is the best bet for this season, scarily enough.

For the time being, our best middle infield prospect is probably Carlos Sanchez, who's also arguably not going to be much of a threat to challenge an 800 OPS at the major league level.

And he's only 19 and at least 2 full season away, if not 2 1/2.

Probably the only way to add impact players at those positions is trading Floyd, Thornton, Crain...with the money due Matt and Jesse, it's hard to expect a premium infield bat back for either one. Unless AJ continues to hit out his mind and a starting catcher on a pennant contender goes down for the season, it's hard to imagine getting much back for him, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Kuhn has played second or third, but I don't think he's very good at either spot. He could probably out hit Morel/Beckham, then again who couldn't?

Escobar is the best bet.

If we thought Escobar had long-term potential as more than a backup, then he ought to have been starting at AAA to give him another year to work on the hitting.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 08:09 AM)
Is Olacio a SP as he matures? I'm assuming they are starting him in the pen due to his age

Yes, sox will give him every opportunity to start in the future. Legit size and frame to go along with his arm.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
I'll say it again.

Andy Gonzalez's career minor league OPS is well above 700.

Escobar is at 666.

Even when we were atrocious in 2007, nobody was clamoring for Andy to become a full-time player.

Andy Gonzalez was 24 when he first got to Charlotte and 25 when he first got a callup. Escobar hit .266 as a 22 year old in Charlotte last year and is 23 this year. Like everyone else, he's been pushed rapidly upwards. That age difference really is big.