flavum

Charlotte - Leesman

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...dubaaa_chraaa_1

McPherson-single, 2 walks

Danks back striking out.

Phegley--Healthy? Good?

Birmingham - Bayne

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...biraax_cngaax_1

Winston-Salem - Rienzo (Thompson RBI double)

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?s...wswafa_myrafa_1

Kannapolis rained out.

Edited by flavum

Bayne pitched well. Matt Wickswat has not handled the transition to AA, and relief, very well.

I have never understood the Sox' love affair with Leesman. I've read the scouting reports, seen his numbers, even seen him pitch a few times... and he just doesn't look like he's a major league pitcher to me.

If Phegley keeps hitting a ton and stays healthy, and the Sox are out of it in July, I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ traded.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Bayne pitched well. Matt Wickswat has not handled the transition to AA, and relief, very well.

I have never understood the Sox' love affair with Leesman. I've read the scouting reports, seen his numbers, even seen him pitch a few times... and he just doesn't look like he's a major league pitcher to me.

If Phegley keeps hitting a ton and stays healthy, and the Sox are out of it in July, I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ traded.

Charlie's issue is control. When he has it, he's decent. When he doesn't, the results speak for themselves.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 09:57 PM)
Rienzo through 3 starts: 18 IP, 14 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 23 K. He's 23 now. Time to move up when the next slot opens.

It did when Pedro Hernandez went on the DL, but they filled it with Zaleski.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 02:03 AM)
A 31 year old journeyman pitcher is going to block Rienzo.

Seriously?

"Guys getting held at a lower level where they start piling up numbers" has been one of the things KW does right before he trades a guy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 09:24 PM)
Phegley/Flowers splitting catching duties in 2013 or does one get the starting job with the other as a back-up?

Only one on the major league roster?

Neither?

AJ back, as unlikely as that seems.

Unless Flowers absolutely bombs, I can't see AJ back.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Depends on the season. If we are out of it, the playing time will shift for sure.

I hear what you're saying, I just don't feel like AJ's going to be a guy who will give up his playing time even on a losing team. Especially with how he's started. If Tyler is going to get enough playing to to tell whether he's failing or not as a regular, AJ might have to be traded.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
I hear what you're saying, I just don't feel like AJ's going to be a guy who will give up his playing time even on a losing team. Especially with how he's started. If Tyler is going to get enough playing to to tell whether he's failing or not as a regular, AJ might have to be traded.

AJ's start is unsustainable. At the end of the day I doubt Robin cares what AJ thinks. If it is Tyler's time, he will be in the line up. Robin sure hasn't had any problem ignoring the calls for someone else in the two hole, sending Gordo to Charlotte or benching him, or Reed as closer.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
Maybe they don't think he is mentally ready.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
You also see stuff like this happen when a guy needs to work on a certain pitch... and they don't want him to get pounded while doing it.

Both good points. Either way, I am encouraged by what Rienzo is doing.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 11:16 AM)
You also see stuff like this happen when a guy needs to work on a certain pitch... and they don't want him to get pounded while doing it.

Judging by the numbers he was more likely to be working on something last year. He's been too dominant so far to be working on a pitch.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
Judging by the numbers he was more likely to be working on something last year. He's been too dominant so far to be working on a pitch.

Entirely possible that there's a coach there that they want him working with on some specific aspect of his game too.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
Entirely possible that there's a coach there that they want him working with on some specific aspect of his game too.

Yeah, technically they're always working on something. At this point it's not something new to him or something that he's focusing on that's taking away from his approach to hitters.