AND THAT'S A PERFECT GAME WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

SoxFan1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he'll make his next start at the Cell against Boston.

Should give the Sox an attendance jolt.

Hope so.

congrats to Phil Humber.

He's been no worse than our second-best pitcher since the beginning of last year.

People keep waiting for him to fade away, but he just keeps grinding.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)
Of course I had to go to some kid's birthday party today with the wife and baby and was forced to get tickets for tomorrow's game instead. Daggummit!

Me too, daughter had a choir concert tonight at church and missed it. Great on both accounts.

When the Mets drafted Phil Humber back in 2004, I was thrilled. Even though my baseball knowledge was still in a prehistoric state, I had read enough about Humber to get excited about the prospects of the Mets drafting him.

As a member of Rice University's "Big Three" along with Jeff Niemann and Wade Townsend, there was quite a bit of buzz around Humber, and I considered the Mets fortunate to have had the opportunity to draft him.

When I arrived at Mets spring training in 2005, I was eager to get the opportunity to meet Humber and get an autograph. Even though the Mets had just drafted Humber, they invited him to spring training and he quickly shined with the Mets.

The buzz surrounding Humber was building.

People like me were convinced that Humber was going to be the next big thing simply after scouring all the scouting reports and articles about the Mets' first round pick.

As soon as Humber finished his workout for the day and signed autographs, a massive amount of people surrounded him, hoping and pleading for an autograph or picture. You would have thought that Humber was Roger Clemens or something.

Luckily for me, I was able to walk away from Mets camp that day with a Philip Humber autographed baseball—on the sweet spot. I immediately put the ball into a ball holder, firmly believing that this guy was the future ace of my beloved New York Mets.

But before I knew it, Humber was hurt. Just a few months into the 2005 season, Humber was forced to undergo the dreaded Tommy John surgery. Just like that, his season was over and his future was very much in question.

And then, something amazing happened. Humber's recovery from Tommy John surgery went more quickly than anticipated and, just one year later, Humber was back in AA.

By the end of 2006, Humber made his major league debut with the Mets as a relief pitcher. The buzz was back!

Or so I thought.

Even though Humber put up good numbers in 2007, he was not the same lights-out kind of pitcher that the Mets had hoped for. It was clear that Humber was not the same pitcher post-surgery as he was prior to it.

The Phil Humber ceiling was inevitably lowered.

By 2008, Humber was traded by the Mets in the Johan Santana deal. Just like that, the Mets had traded their "future ace," who, just three years earlier, was their top draft pick and one of the best prospects in the Mets' system.

Even though Humber's velocity appears to have come back since his surgery, the results simply were not there this spring training. Humber did wind up making the Twins opening day roster, but once the Twins needed to make a roster move, there was no doubt who the Twins were going to designate for assignment: Philip Humber.

In just five years, Humber has gone from a third overall pick to a guy struggling for his major league life. While Humber might never have piles of fans yearning for his autograph, I hope that Humber can simply maintain a major league career.

from bleacherreport.com back in 2009

Saturday also marked the first time Humber pitched a complete game in the majors. He hadn’t gone further 7 2/3 innings in his first 29 starts. His previous longest no-hit bid came when he went 6 1/3 innings without allowing a hit against the New York Yankees on April 25, 2011.
Link

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:00 PM)
When the Mets drafted Phil Humber back in 2004, I was thrilled. Even though my baseball knowledge was still in a prehistoric state, I had read enough about Humber to get excited about the prospects of the Mets drafting him.

As a member of Rice University's "Big Three" along with Jeff Niemann and Wade Townsend, there was quite a bit of buzz around Humber, and I considered the Mets fortunate to have had the opportunity to draft him.

When I arrived at Mets spring training in 2005, I was eager to get the opportunity to meet Humber and get an autograph. Even though the Mets had just drafted Humber, they invited him to spring training and he quickly shined with the Mets.

The buzz surrounding Humber was building.

People like me were convinced that Humber was going to be the next big thing simply after scouring all the scouting reports and articles about the Mets' first round pick.

As soon as Humber finished his workout for the day and signed autographs, a massive amount of people surrounded him, hoping and pleading for an autograph or picture. You would have thought that Humber was Roger Clemens or something.

Luckily for me, I was able to walk away from Mets camp that day with a Philip Humber autographed baseball—on the sweet spot. I immediately put the ball into a ball holder, firmly believing that this guy was the future ace of my beloved New York Mets.

But before I knew it, Humber was hurt. Just a few months into the 2005 season, Humber was forced to undergo the dreaded Tommy John surgery. Just like that, his season was over and his future was very much in question.

And then, something amazing happened. Humber's recovery from Tommy John surgery went more quickly than anticipated and, just one year later, Humber was back in AA.

By the end of 2006, Humber made his major league debut with the Mets as a relief pitcher. The buzz was back!

Or so I thought.

Even though Humber put up good numbers in 2007, he was not the same lights-out kind of pitcher that the Mets had hoped for. It was clear that Humber was not the same pitcher post-surgery as he was prior to it.

The Phil Humber ceiling was inevitably lowered.

By 2008, Humber was traded by the Mets in the Johan Santana deal. Just like that, the Mets had traded their "future ace," who, just three years earlier, was their top draft pick and one of the best prospects in the Mets' system.

Even though Humber's velocity appears to have come back since his surgery, the results simply were not there this spring training. Humber did wind up making the Twins opening day roster, but once the Twins needed to make a roster move, there was no doubt who the Twins were going to designate for assignment: Philip Humber.

In just five years, Humber has gone from a third overall pick to a guy struggling for his major league life. While Humber might never have piles of fans yearning for his autograph, I hope that Humber can simply maintain a major league career.

from bleacherreport.com back in 2009

You know, any single pitcher in any given day can catch lightning in a bottle. Nothing can take this day away from the man... hundreds of thousands of games, and he was perfect for one day against the best in the world. Who cares what anyone thinks of him previous to this day? Give the man his due.

I didn't see it (f*** you, Fox) BUT OMFG I WAS JUMPING UP AND DOWN AT THE BOXSCORE.

f*** THE HATERS. THIS TEAM IS GOOD.

MY FIFTH STARTER (AND FOURTH STARTER) IS BETTER THAN YOURS.

TIME TO CHRISTEN PHILLIP HUMBER WITH A NICKNAME.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
You know, any single pitcher in any given day can catch lightning in a bottle. Nothing can take this day away from the man... hundreds of thousands of games, and he was perfect for one day against the best in the world. Who cares what anyone thinks of him previous to this day? Give the man his due.

That was kind of the point. One of those amazing comeback stories that all Americans love to get behind and root for, like Dennis Quaid playing Jim Morris in THE ROOKIE.

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant...lt-mariner.html

Just like this story on HBO about the M's Delabar, who threw the 8th and 9th innings.

http://recruitingcycle.com/dreams-never-fa...orts-interview/

Edited by caulfield12

I missed this game cuz I was sleeping but damn Humber.. always had the ability. Like I said before, I was a big fan of his comming out of Rice. After his Tommy John surgery, never thought he would be the same guy, but he's proven alot of people (including myself) wrong. Pretty cool his wife is expecting as well. Great story.

Holy Moly ! Just got home from work. Caught the Sox 2nd inning where they scored 2 and led 3-0 and noticed after Humber pitched the 3rd that he was perfect through 3. Told my room mate that and told him Humber was going to pitch a no hitter. When I got home my roomie told me ,matter of factly that Humber, pitched a perfect game. He was so non-chalant about it I said "yea, right". Then I checked gameday , which I had left on, and saw all zeros just as MLB network was saying Humber had indeed pitched a perfect game ! Unreal !

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:13 PM)
I watched the first five innings and then my girlfriend made me go out to eat with her parents. I may have to rethink this relationship.

Also, ESPN just said AJ caught Buehrle's perfect game. Wasn't that Castro?

Yes, it was Castro.