AND THAT'S A PERFECT GAME WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

SoxFan1

Bobby Jenks pitching for Chicago CWS BOS

B Jenks relieved O Hernandez. 5 3

T Graffanino grounded out to third. 5 3

J Damon struck out swinging. 5 3

E Renteria grounded out to second.

ALDS or ALCS?

Well, now you have both. Konerko ended up with the ball all 3 times.

http://www.cnnsi.com/baseball/mlb/gameflas...p;sct=hp_t11_a0

27 Up, 27 Down

He becomes the latest one-time Mets pitcher who went on to throw a no-hitter elsewhere, a group that includes Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Dwight Gooden and David Cone. New York has never had a no-hitter in its 51-year history. The only other team without one is San Diego, which began play in 1969.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
So....next Thursday vs Red Sox. What's the attendance going to be?

Might not be as high as one would think with many Red Sox fans disgusted with their team at this point, as well as the manager.

Brooks is probably already scrambling.

What are they going to, turn around in less than one-week and have a Humber Bobblehead, t-shirt, commemorative "no hit" ball or something similar give-away?

Don't think they have enough time. But it would be cool if they could pull it off.

Next Sunday is BAT DAY I think.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 06:52 PM)
Might not be as high as one would think with many Red Sox fans disgusted with their team at this point, as well as the manager.

Brooks is probably already scrambling.

What are they going to, turn around in less than one-week and have a Humber Bobblehead, t-shirt, commemorative "no hit" ball or something similar give-away?

Don't think they have enough time. But it would be cool if they could pull it off.

Next Sunday is BAT DAY I think.

They might be able to put together a perfect game poster pretty quick.

Very cool to see the reaction from teammates and old teammates alike.

Jermaine dye ‏ @JermaineDye

Pitcher Perfect by @whitesox pitcher HUMBER. #Congrats

Jesse Crain ‏ @JesseCrain

Congrats to @Philip_Humber, well deserved, couldn't be happier for him and his family. #awesomeday #PerfectGame #WhiteSox

Addison Reed ‏ @areed38

By far the coolest thing i have ever seen..couldnt have happened to a better guy..CONGRATS @Philip_Humber

Jake Peavy ‏ @JakePeavy_44

Wow is all to say! Congrats to my buddy PH! Couldn't happen to a better person! Feel honored just to be here & celebrate him! #PerfectGame

Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

umber on being 21st pitcher to throw perfect game: "I don't know what Philip Humber is doing on this list."

Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

67 text messages and counting for Humber. AJ said he was more nervous for this one than at any point in 2005 World Series

Brent Lillibridge ‏ @BSLillibridge

@Philip_Humber I am so blessed to be a part of history. Love you brother God is truly great! #PerfectGame #WhiteSox

Gordon Beckham ‏ @gordonbeckham

WHATTTTTT???!!!!! PERFECT GAME FOR @philip_humber!!!! Unbelievable feeling to be a part of history! Couldn't have happened to a better guy

Mark Teahen ‏ @ESPY_TEAHEN

Congrats @Philip_Humber for completing a perfect game. Historic moment for a great teammate and an outstanding man.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-06...len-sox-uniform

Humber humble about recent success

Unlikely Sox starter grateful to be fulfilling potential after many pitfalls

June 11, 2011|David Haugh | In the Wake of the News

Inside the White Sox spring-training clubhouse in Sarasota, Fla., one day in 1994, 11-year-old Philip Humber struggled with control as much as he ever would on a major league mound.

It can be tough for a kid from small-town Texas to keep his emotions in check meeting Sox stars Frank Thomas and Ozzie Guillen. How many children could play it cool with Michael Jordan — a Sox farmhand the spring of '94 — saying hello in front of his locker?

"I still have Jordan's autograph,'' a smiling Humber recalled in the Sox dugout. "Seeing Frank and Ozzie, that whole day was a huge experience for me.''

Humber had traveled to Florida as a guest of former Sox minor-league pitcher Robert Ellis, a family friend and mentor from Humber's hometown near Carthage, Texas. Ellis remembers Humber declaring his goal of being a major league player after that visit and laughing at "how crazy,'' the Sox were — especially Guillen.

With every game Humber wins in a Sox uniform, the trip 17 years ago takes on added significance in Ellis' memory.

"It's funny how it has come full circle,'' said Ellis, 40, a right-hander who made 29 appearances for four teams from 1996-2003 and still regularly counsels Humber. "Philip looked up to Ozzie as a player after that day and now that he is pitching for the guy, it reflects back to when he was 11 years old and thought, man, this guy's awesome. You don't want to let the guy down.''

The surprise of the Sox season so far, Humber hasn't come close to disappointing Guillen or anybody else. Desperately needing consistency in the rotation with Jake Peavy's chronic health concerns, the Sox have gotten their Phil.

Nobody expected much last January when the Sox picked up off waivers a once-promising right-hander out of Rice University who was the Mets' third overall pick of the 2004 draft, one spot behind Justin Verlander. But Humber enters Sunday's home start against the A's with a 5-3 record and 2.87 ERA as the unlikeliest of Sox aces because of the way he improved his mechanics and loosened his grip — on himself, not necessarily the baseball.

"I've been through everything you can go through in baseball so far,'' said Humber, 28, already traded or released from four teams. "I've had Tommy John surgery, been the hot prospect, been a bust, been given a lot of opportunities and been given up on. You get to the point where you say, you know what, baseball's not my whole life and if I'm going to play it I'm going to play because I enjoy it. That's where I'm at.''

Chicago's South Side is a long way from where Humber grew up in the rural East Texas community of Buncombe, nine miles southwest of Carthage. For the map in Chicago sports fans' heads, that's about an hour south of Big Sandy, the hometown of Bears coach Lovie Smith. But to call Buncombe a dot on the map might be exaggerating. The last census estimated 87 people. That's more like a speck.

"I was a country guy and it's still a big part of me,'' Humber said with the slightest hint of a Texas drawl. "It's peaceful and quiet. The people back there don't care what you're doing in Chicago or wherever but they care what kind of person you are. The biggest thing is it keeps you humble.''

When the Twins designated Humber for assignment at the beginning of the 2009 season, the low point of his career, he wasn't worried about staying humble. He worried about staying in baseball.

The setback felt more disappointing than having Tommy John surgery in 2005, more bewildering than losing his first career start for the Mets on Sept. 26, 2007, in the midst of one of the sport's biggest collapses ever. The pitcher who was the key prospect in the Mets' trade for Johan Santana was close to becoming nothing more in baseball than the answer to a trivia question.

"At that point it wasn't fun for my wife, wasn't fun for me and I had gotten so wrapped up in baseball being my identity,'' Humber said. "For me, just getting back to who I am and my identity comes through Christ. I got my focus back.''

Replacing an average cut fastball with a wicked slider to give him a fourth out pitch also helped.

Sox pitching coach Don Cooper made that suggestion two days before Humber gave up one hit in seven innings in a gem against the Yankees. The latest Cooper reclamation project has seen the biggest difference making little mechanical adjustments at the behest of one of the game's best pitching coaches: getting over the ball, staying tall in his delivery and maintaining balance in the stretch.

"Philip has good stuff but it's not eye-opening, blow-away stuff,'' Cooper said. "What I always say is in baseball you get your first check for potential and maybe velocity. But every check you get at the major league level has nothing to do with velocity, it has to do with hitting the glove with movement and changing speeds like he is now.''

Told of Cooper's assessment of Humber, Ellis just chuckled over the phone back in Texas. During Ellis' six-year stint in the Sox system, Cooper was his Triple-A pitching coach and espoused the same simple philosophy Ellis later pounded into Humber as a boy.

"For what Philip has been through and where he is now, Coop is a big part of that,'' said Ellis, now coaching in Henderson, Texas. "He's learning to pitch. I'm sure there are times he has wanted to show everybody his stuff was still good but it's not about that. I vividly remember Coop telling me, 'You get guys out, that's what's important.' A lot of what I teach is what Coop taught. Phil's beginning to hear it from him now.''

The results make Humber feel like a kid again.

Twitter @DavidHaugh

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 07:16 PM)
I'm wondering if this is the most players involved in a second perfect game.

Sox lineup on 7/23/09:

Podsednik

Ramirez

Dye

Konerko

Quentin

Beckham

Nix

Castro

Fields

Now there's a juggernaut team.

Edited by flavum

Does any team have a better 4/5 than us? Doubtful.

Pitching depth just might be our meal ticket to a magical season. Need to see Danks and Floyd step up a bit, and I'll be sold.

Many positives currently, including the recent performances of our minor leaguers.

WOW!!!! Back from the game. I feel so fortunate to have been at this game. It was hard moving away from Chicago in July 2005 and having to watch all the playoff games and World Series sweep on TV. Then to see Buerhle's perfect game on TV. I was so envious of all you guys who can go to games in Chicago. Finally, I got to witness some awesome White Sox history in person. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Does any team have a better 4/5 than us? Doubtful.

Pitching depth just might be our meal ticket to a magical season. Need to see Danks and Floyd step up a bit, and I'll be sold.

Many positives currently, including the recent performances of our minor leaguers.

The Rays (Matt Moore and Jeff Niemann, Rangers (Harrison and Feliz), Nationals and Marlins could show up there, Yankees are 7 deep if Pineda is ever healthy and Pettitte comes back

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 07:56 PM)
The Rays (Matt Moore and Jeff Niemann, Rangers (Harrison and Feliz), Nationals and Marlins could show up there, Yankees are 7 deep if Pineda is ever healthy and Pettitte comes back

aaaand of COURSE you're the one to rain on the parade. haha

I'll take Humber over Niemann any day of the week.

I'll take Humber over Feliz for this year (growing pains). I like Harrison, but I still maintain we have a better all around rotation than Texas

You'd take Nova over Humber? Freddy Garcia?

I'll take Humber over Zambrano

The Nationals are the only one I'll give you.

You knew the home plate ump didn't want to have another Jim Joyce situation there.

I'm guessing he didn't actually go far enough or quite break his wrists, but he was coming so far forward in front of the plate with his body, he probably did bring his bat all the way through the strike zone and even beyond it.

Would love to see the side angle. Maybe MLB wants it killed if it's going to be a controversy?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
Still no side shot showing if Ryan did swing or not?

A pretty close call, looks like he went a little too far:

ryan.png

You can barely see the shadow of the bat on the ground.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
aaaand of COURSE you're the one to rain on the parade. haha

I'll take Humber over Niemann any day of the week.

I'll take Humber over Feliz for this year (growing pains). I like Harrison, but I still maintain we have a better all around rotation than Texas

You'd take Nova over Humber? Freddy Garcia?

I'll take Humber over Zambrano

The Nationals are the only one I'll give you.

Zambrano's been throwing surprisingly well, he was a hard-luck loser earlier this week against WASH, but his days of hitting 94-97 MPH with the fastball are long gone.

Nova probably has more potential, arguably.

Harrison has been the best pitcher on that Rangers' staff so far this season. Technically, the back end of their rotation is Darvish/Feliz.

Some would consider Lewis their 3rd, many different viewpoints on the Rangers' rotation, plus they have Ogando and Feldman so they really can go 7 deep, too.