I enjoy this team

Quin

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
All of whom are...still here!

Yes I blame a lot of the returning players.

They deserve the blame, not the guy who managed them.

That's like blaming Ned Yost for Hosmer's slow start. Has nothing to do with Yost.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
Yes I blame a lot of the returning players.

They deserve the blame, not the guy who managed them.

That's like blaming Ned Yost for Hosmer's slow start. Has nothing to do with Yost.

Might be, how do you know that Yost got him in a good position during spring training? How do you know that he got the coaching he needed?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
Might be, how do you know that Yost got him in a good position during spring training? How do you know that he got the coaching he needed?

I have no idea but I do know Alex Rios' performance this year has nothing to do with anybody except Alex Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I have no idea but I do know Alex Rios' performance this year has nothing to do with anybody except Alex Rios.

And so if Ned Yost's kid spent every other night during ST drinking with Hosmer, you'd say that Yost did nothing wrong?

I love how all of his arguments start with "ozzie is the best manager ever on the white sox" and finish with "the manager had nothing to do with how the players perform"

What exactly makes him the best ever if he has nothing to do with the players performance? Wait, I know! He is judged on his quotes. That has to be it!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
And so if Ned Yost's kid spent every other night during ST drinking with Hosmer, you'd say that Yost did nothing wrong?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
So you'd say Manto hasn't helped him? Or Dunn?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:20 PM)
I love how all of his arguments start with "ozzie is the best manager ever on the white sox" and finish with "the manager had nothing to do with how the players perform"

What exactly makes him the best ever if he has nothing to do with the players performance? Wait, I know! He is judged on his quotes. That has to be it!

1,) I'd blame the player and the kid, not the dad of the kid.

2.) If Rios needed Manto to tell him right field was available, then WTF does that say about Rios. You can't tell me Walker had never suggested to him it might be wise to use the gap in right field as well as hitting pop ups to left and center. I credit Manto for doing that drill with Dunn. I'm sure Walker is performing some decent drills with the Braves as he surely did with the Sox.

3.) Our record. Ozzie had a great record as Sox manager. His ring also speaks volumes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:53 PM)
So every White Sox loss the discussion will be whether we would have won were Ozzie still managing the team?

That's going to get old fast.

Being a White Sox fan right now (1st place tie) is a lot better than rooting for the Marlins or Royals.

OZZIE WOULD HAVE PINCH HIT FOR DUNN, THE BUM.

EXCEPT HE WOULDN'T.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:56 AM)
I've thought often of David Wright on the Southside since it's all but guaranteed he moves this summer AND he'd be an instant super upgrade. The Sox have nothing to deal with, though, so it seems nearly impossible.

My fantasy team is loving his rebirth this year with those shorter CITI Field walls helping his confidence. Imagine what the friendly park factors of the Cell would do for him.

http://qkme.me/3oyk2c

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 11:55 PM)
OZZIE WOULD HAVE PINCH HIT FOR DUNN, THE BUM.

EXCEPT HE WOULDN'T.

Remember when Ozzie put in a struggling Adam Dunn in the 9th inning of a game last year, only to see him K? That was funny.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 02:48 AM)
Just because someone's a good manager for a team at one point doesn't mean they don't become a bad fit for that team over time.

That's true. I'm not saying a change wasn't warranted or needed. I wanted him to be Sox manager forever, but his tenure was about as long as you'd ever expect in this day n age.

I'm just saying I get tired of people taking any topic and turning it into how s***ty Ozzie is (was).

Ozzie is a great manager and IMO a funny, seemingly good guy.

Who out there can say he's a bad person?

Who out there can say he's not at least a "good" manager. I prefer the word "great" but can we all agree on "good guy and good manager?"

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)
That's true. I'm not saying a change wasn't warranted or needed. I wanted him to be Sox manager forever, but his tenure was about as long as you'd ever expect in this day n age.

I'm just saying I get tired of people taking any topic and turning it into how s***ty Ozzie is (was).

Who out there can say he's not at least a "good" manager. I prefer the word "great" but can we all agree on "good guy and good manager?"

No one has said anything like that unrelated to the last few years. Over the last few years, it was very justified.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 02:00 PM)

Before 09, yea, I would agree with that. After he quit on the white sox, let his kid run wild about clubhouse confidential information, and publicly lobbied for a new contract two seasons in a row when his teams were in death spirals...I absolutely disagree that he is a good manager AND good guy,

And this doesn't even include his moronic comments about Castro.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Before 09, yea, I would agree with that. After he quit on the white sox, let his kid run wild about clubhouse confidential information, and publicly lobbied for a new contract two seasons in a row when his teams were in death spirals...I absolutely disagree that he is a good manager AND good guy,

And this doesn't even include his moronic comments about Castro.

I thought I was reading somewhere Ozzie is a big supporter of charities and stuff and puts his money where his mouth is. And I heard he's great meeting fans at bars, restrants, etc., and has always been good while at the ballpark where a lot of players are pricks.

Hence my support of him being a good guy.

The Castro thing was stupid and a byproduct of how much he likes to talk.

I really don't care about his kid. I believe each individual is responsible for his/her actions and papa is not responsible for baby bear.

The contract thing also doesn't bother me.

Bottom line is he and the GM had a severe clash of egos. I truly can't believe Kenny hired Ozzie to begin with. Certainly he had to realize their two egos could not co-exist.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)
I thought I was reading somewhere Ozzie is a big supporter of charities and stuff and puts his money where his mouth is. And I heard he's great meeting fans at bars, restrants, etc., and has always been good while at the ballpark where a lot of players are pricks.

I really don't care about his kid. I believe each individual is responsible for his/her actions and papa is not responsible for baby bear.

Bottom line is he and the GM had a severe clash of egos. I truly can't believe Kenny hired Ozzie to begin with. Certainly he had to realize their two egos could not co-exist.

You do realize because Ozzie let Oney run wild, that led to the KW-Ozzie feud, right?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 10:37 PM)

Hey Greg, one thing about Ozzie's dumbass kid getting WAY too involved in clubhouse matters that you cannot ignore: would he have been there had Ozzie not been his father? You say each individual is responsible for his/her own actions but what if you're only put in that position through nepotism? Is the family member not held responsible for the idiot's actions? I do believe they should be.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 03:56 AM)
You do realize because Ozzie let Oney run wild, that led to the KW-Ozzie feud, right?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
Hey Greg, one thing about Ozzie's dumbass kid getting WAY too involved in clubhouse matters that you cannot ignore: would he have been there had Ozzie not been his father? You say each individual is responsible for his/her own actions but what if you're only put in that position through nepotism? Is the family member not held responsible for the idiot's actions? I do believe they should be.

1.) Yes I guess that's true. I still think both have runaway egos that would not allow co-existing even w/out Oney. I guess it may have taken longer to come to fruition minus the kid

2.) I forget what Oney's job was with the Sox and why he got to know the players. I guess that's bad to hire the kid, but you know what? Kids are getting hired by company owners all over the place. The Royals' president is David Glass' kid who knows NOTHING about baseball. Also how many private companies have been ruined by the third generation of kid who is a lazy bum who screws up? In answer to your question, yes, I guess Ozzie is big bad Ozzie over hiring his kid or letting him around the players ... but I will forever believe individuals are responsible for their own actions. How many relatives are hired as interns, etc. It's the way of American business. Reward the kid; hire the lazy kid. If the kid is a f***-up, KW should attack the problem with Ozzie and/or the kid himself.

Even if daddy hired his kid and put him in the clubhouse, I still blame the kid more than the dad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:16 AM)
1.) Yes I guess that's true. I still think both have runaway egos that would not allow co-existing even w/out Oney. I guess it may have taken longer to come to fruition minus the kid

2.) I forget what Oney's job was with the Sox and why he got to know the players. I guess that's bad to hire the kid, but you know what? Kids are getting hired by company owners all over the place. The Royals' president is David Glass' kid who knows NOTHING about baseball. Also how many private companies have been ruined by the third generation of kid who is a lazy bum who screws up? In answer to your question, yes, I guess Ozzie is big bad Ozzie over hiring his kid or letting him around the players ... but I will forever believe individuals are responsible for their own actions. How many relatives are hired as interns, etc. It's the way of American business. Reward the kid; hire the lazy kid. If the kid is a f***-up, KW should attack the problem with Ozzie and/or the kid himself.

Even if daddy hired his kid and put him in the clubhouse, I still blame the kid more than the dad.

The other thing that happened was that Ozzie got very, very angry that the White Sox didn't draft his other kid at the level Ozzie thought he should have been drafted at (and since no one else in the league wanted to deal with ozzie's circus, no one else drafted that kid either until the 23rd round or so).