2012 NFL Draft Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Is it just me, or are the Bears structuring their roster to switch to a 3-4 Defense?

I'll admit, it did cross my mind after their first pick. It wouldn't happen while Smith is still here...but they did hire a GM who came from a 3-4 (Pats) and set up a 3-4 (KC).

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While updating my AAP on Nevin Griffith, here's a UFA that the Bears just signed:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/04...ee_agent_d.html

Adrien Cole, LB - Lou Tech/WAC Conference

Cole, a 5-11, 250-pound linebacker, was the Western Athletic Conference's defensive player of the year in 2011, leading Louisiana Tech with 128 tackles, including 13 for losses.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Here's a writeup of the Bears' UFA signings. OT Brown from Troy intrigues me as PFW's Draft Magazine had him the fourth best OLT in the draft.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=8783

The Bears will try to one-up themselves and start a rookie undrafted OLT instead of a rookie 7th round OLT!

I stole this from another board, but some of you may find it interesting. It is a list of Big 10 players who were drafted in this draft. It shows what their scout star ranking was and what their position rank was for their respective class:

Explanation:

Jerel Worthy was a 2 star recruit and ranked 78th best DT in his class.

MSU

Round 2 Jerel Worthy 2 Star 78 DT

Round 4 Kirk Cousins 2 Star NR QB

Round 4 Keshawn Martin 2 Star 233 WR

Round 6 Trent Robinson 2 Star 187 RB

Round 6 B.J. Cunningham 3 Star NR WR

Round 7 Edwin Baker 4 Star 20 RB

Round 3 Nick Foles 3 Star 52 QB

UofM

Round 3 Mike Martin 4 Star 12 DT

Round 7 David Molk 4 Star 3 C

Round 7 Jr. Hemmingway 4 Star 26 WR

PSU

Round 2 Devon Still 4 Star 12 DT

Round 5 Johnnie Troutman No Info

Round 5 Jack Crawford 4 Star 15 DE

Round 7 Nathan Stupar 4 Star 8 SLB

Iowa

Round 1 Riley Reiff 3 Star 69 DE

Round 4 Mike Daniels 2 Star NR DE

Round 5 Adam Gettis No Info

Round 5 Shaun Prater 3 Star 72 CB

Round 6 Marvin McNutt 3 Star 33 QB

Round 7 Jordan Bernstine 4 Star 29 S

Illinois

Round 1 Whitney Mercilus 2 Star 114 DE

Round 1 A.J. Jenkins 4 Star 36 WR

Round 2 Jeff Allen 2 Star 112 OG

Round 2 Tavon Wilson 3 Star 70 CB

Northwestern

Round 7 Drake Dunsmore 2 Star NR RB

Round 7 Jeremy Ebert 2 Star 251 WR

Wisconsin

Round 1 Kevin Zeitler 3 Star 22 OG

Round 2 Peter Konz 3 Star 38 OT

Round 3 Russel Wilson 2 Star 67 QB

Round 4 Nick Toon 3 Star 89 WR

Round 5 Brian Ewing No Info

Round 6 Brad Nortman 2 Star 4P

OSU

Round 2 Mike Adams 5 Star 2 OT

Round 3 Devier Posey 5 Star 4 WR

Round 6 Dan Herron 4 Star 27 RB

Round 6 Nate Ebner No Info

Purdue

Round 5 Dennis Kelly No Info

Round 6 Nick Mondek 2 Star NR DE

Nebraska

Round 2 Lavonte David 3 Star JC OLB

Round 4 Jared Crick 3 Star 56 DE

Round 7 Alfonzo Dennard 3 Star 80 CB

Round 7 Marcel Jones 3 Star 44 OT

Edited by Soxbadger

OSU also had 2 other top recruits not drafted in Brewster and Shugarts. Brewster was a 5 star #1 C in the country, and I think Shug was a 4 star.

Nate Ebner was a rugby player who walked on. Actually a great success story.

After stating 49 games at LT, winning the Outland Trophy, and being inducted into the Jewish sports hall of fame, what was the reasoning behind moving Gabe Carimi to RT? Who started the year at LT last year?? If it was anyone other than Williams im interested in the explanation behind it. Carimis got the same huge size and came from the same college as arguably the best LT in the league Joe Thomas.

Would love to see the line be Carimi-Garza-Spencer-Louis-Williams next year. That looks pretty solid if you ask me, Carimi is the 1st round draft pick everyone wanted in this years draft.

Its a good question and one that the Bears front office has never explained. If you go through my posts, I consistently state I dont understand why the Bears did not give Carimi a LT grade. If you read about last years draft youll see some scouts didnt like his knee bend and other form issues with pass protection (ie a quick speed rush may beat him).

Also he was a rookie with limited time to learn the playbook due to the lock out. They may have just wanted him to play RT to start and get comfortable to then move him to LT.

I think Carimi is really going to impress people once he comes back. I cant understand why Reiff would get a LT grade and Carimi a RT grade, but sometimes it just doesnt make sense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 1, 2012 -> 01:40 PM)
Its a good question and one that the Bears front office has never explained. If you go through my posts, I consistently state I dont understand why the Bears did not give Carimi a LT grade. If you read about last years draft youll see some scouts didnt like his knee bend and other form issues with pass protection (ie a quick speed rush may beat him).

Also he was a rookie with limited time to learn the playbook due to the lock out. They may have just wanted him to play RT to start and get comfortable to then move him to LT.

I think Carimi is really going to impress people once he comes back. I cant understand why Reiff would get a LT grade and Carimi a RT grade, but sometimes it just doesnt make sense.

Most people didn't give Reiff a LT grade.

Some places did give Reiff a LT grade (the reason I know is that in this thread I argued that drafting Reiff made no sense because if Carimi wasnt an LT than Reiff wasnt a LT) but a poster pointed out that scouts were saying Reiff could go LT.

Either way Im excited for Carimi to play LT or RT.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 1, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
Which people? He is supposedly starting day 1 at RT for the Lions to succeed Backus at LT.

He was brought on formally to "compete" with Gosder Cherilus at RT. But Cherilus is slightly better than Frank Omiyale, so Reiff will probably be starting right off the bat. I'm not sold he'll take over for Backus long-term, but that's definitely the plan. Backus had probably his best season last year.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)
He was brought on formally to "compete" with Gosder Cherilus at RT. But Cherilus is slightly better than Frank Omiyale, so Reiff will probably be starting right off the bat.

I think he's similar to Carimi in that he can start at RT and can move into LT. I would like to see the same path for Gabe. Thats actually one of the reasons I wanted the Bears to take Reiff because then you have two bookends for many years to come. But alas, we needed a 3-4 rush LB.

It's really very difficult to have a rookie start at LT from the get go.

Tyron Smith is a perfect example, got taken pick #9, played all season at RT, and was the 3rd-4th best tackle in the NFL last season according to Pro Football Weekly. Don't think he could have produced that starting at LT (but he'll be playing there this season).