2012 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
a 6'!" TE??...still dont like the pick. I know Charles has off the field problems but so does Marshall

Aaron Hernandez is about the exact same size as Rodriguez. Of course, we can't expect him to be much of an in-line blocker. I think he'll fill an H-Back role like Hernandez does for the Patriots. I think that also means Clutts has some competition.

With that said, I'm not a fan of the pick but I can't hate it. I would have really liked Massie, Crick, or Orson Charles. But, this Rodriguez guy does have some serious physical attributes.

wonder if the bears would have gone ladarius green if he lasted 1 more pick

With the exception of Jeffery, all the bears drafts picks have had a common denominator - speed - 4.58 for Rodriguez, 4.44 for hardin (says some scouts had him at 4.38), and 4.63 for Mclellin ....all very quick for TE, S, and DE respectively

also all the guys with the exception of Jeffery have been "football players" ...the grinder type of guys who have a bit of a mean streak with high football IQs

Edited by daa84

watching a bit of youtube tape on this guy - he looks tiny, and this is playing against MAC opponents - does have solid hands and is quick for a TE, but hes not going to block anyone at the next level IMO - definitely will be a role for both he and Davis on this team

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
watching a bit of youtube tape on this guy - he looks tiny, and this is playing against MAC opponents - does have solid hands and is quick for a TE, but hes not going to block anyone at the next level IMO - definitely will be a role for both he and Davis on this team

He's a very active blocker though, always keeps his feet moving and can chip 2 or 3 guys on the same play. As long as he gets in the way and can seal on run plays, he'll be just fine. I like his ability in the open field though.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 28, 2012 -> 03:53 PM)
6th round pick is Isaiah Frey, a corner from Nevada...SI had him as a preseason All American, he lead the WAC in pass break ups, sounds like a good value pick at a position of need.

yeah at this point certainly nobody can really comment on these picks -only true draft experts know the draft this deep. In the 6th round you are basically just hoping the guy you take can fill out a roster spot, contribute on ST. anything more than that is a huge bonus...if he doesnt work out, oh well he was a 6th rounder

ChicagoBears.com ‏ @ChicagoBearscom

LM: #Bears agree to terms with undrafted FAs RB Alvester Alexander, LB Adrien Cole, DT Ronnie Cameron, OT James Brown, S Jeremy Jones.

LM: #Bears agree to terms with undrafted free agents S Trevor Colston, LB Ronnie Thornton.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
As I stated before Im not here to argue whether CW is capable of playing LT or not. The fact is he isnt playing LT so Im not factoring that in as a possibility unless I hear it from Tice or the Bears.

Also, Im not saying LG isnt an important position. My point was that a team wouldnt move a guy from LT in favor of a player who isnt as good, ever.

When the Bears updated the roster on their website, they added a T next to Williams name that wasnt there before....im not sayin, im just sayin...

what stats/metrics do people use for offensive linemen. I know there are some good ones out there, but i am just wondering. I remember reading comments that before chris williams went down he graded out as one of the best run blocking guards in the league (which seems hard for me to believe since he was regarded at a "finesse tackle" before moving inside). I also know before he left kreutz was among the lowest graded centers in the league.

i mean obviously we have the advantage of having watched essentially every down this year, but i obviously dont have the capability of breaking plays down for the guards and centers like the experts do. Im just curious to see what it says about our guys to assess mainly how the interior lineman played.

I suspect Garza will grade out well, as I know he has in the past. In addition, despite the poor pass protection (esp from the tackles) we clearly did something right with our run blocking.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 11:24 AM)
When the Bears updated the roster on their website, they added a T next to Williams name that wasnt there before....im not sayin, im just sayin...

Well it didnt say that during the first round of the draft....... and as I said numerous times Im not debating whether or not Williams is a tackle..........I was saying that guard isnt a glaring need as some other positions..........................Im not sayin..........................................................................................Im just saying..............................................................................................

............................................................................................

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
what stats/metrics do people use for offensive linemen. I know there are some good ones out there, but i am just wondering. I remember reading comments that before chris williams went down he graded out as one of the best run blocking guards in the league (which seems hard for me to believe since he was regarded at a "finesse tackle" before moving inside). I also know before he left kreutz was among the lowest graded centers in the league.

i mean obviously we have the advantage of having watched essentially every down this year, but i obviously dont have the capability of breaking plays down for the guards and centers like the experts do. Im just curious to see what it says about our guys to assess mainly how the interior lineman played.

I suspect Garza will grade out well, as I know he has in the past. In addition, despite the poor pass protection (esp from the tackles) we clearly did something right with our run blocking.

There are a few basic stats for O-linemen...things like "False starts" and "Sacks given up" where you can obviously credit a sack directly to a guy missing a block...but that's like "Batting average" in baseball.

If a guy is terrible on those stats then he has a problem (like a guy hitting .188) but then you can build up lots of details/advanced stats on top of that. Number of times guys got/didn't get help, effectiveness of the running game, how good the quarterback was at getting rid of the ball.

There are some advanced stats in the NFL but most of them are proprietary. Williams, I really liked him in the run, but that wasn't because of his work at the point of attack, it was because he was mobile enough that they could pull him and get him out in front of Forte before Forte got back to the LOS, and when the running back gets to the LOS outside the tackles with a RG in front of him, he might go for 30.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
I think it's pretty tough for the average fan to evaluate offensive lineman as well b/c we watch the games from the TV angle. We don't get that scouting, end-zone view that real scouts use when watching game film.

And even then...a scout might not know the offense. The goal on every play for the O-Line might not be "completely perfect block", you can want to move people to one side or another to prepare them for different plays, you can have a QB or an extra blocker make a mistake, etc.

That's why the Bears keep saying that changing their system will help their line. One thing I keep coming back to...if you really paid attention in the playoffs...against San Fran, New Orleans gave help to their tackles on literally every play. Either a chip by a TE, a chip by a RB, or an outright double team. Their tackles were never on an island. Even with a solid line, New Orleans didn't trust their linemen to do what Martz's system asked the Bears line to do.

The Bears offensive line will be infinitely better simply based on the fact that there will not be as many, if any, seven step drops for the QB anymore. They won't have to endure the long-developing plays with intricate WR routes that Martz was known for. Adding weapons on offense helps the line too. I was pretty positive about the o-line going into last year, saying they would be much better than people thought. I'm even more positive this year now that our offensive coordinator isn't stuck in the 1998 Rams.

IMO, Webb is still the weak link in the offensive line, but the Bears almost never helped him out against top pass rushers by chipping or having a TE help double a rusher. Even after Jared Allen repeatedly torched him, they waited for the second half to give him any help. Webb/Williams/Garza/Louis/Carimi will be a solid line next year if they stay healthy. And with the additions of Rachal and Spencer coming back, their depth is better by default, as Omiyale is gone. The run blocking was never a problem, the pass blocking will be helped by quicker developing plays.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 29, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
The Bears offensive line will be infinitely better simply based on the fact that there will not be as many, if any, seven step drops for the QB anymore. They won't have to endure the long-developing plays with intricate WR routes that Martz was known for. Adding weapons on offense helps the line too. I was pretty positive about the o-line going into last year, saying they would be much better than people thought. I'm even more positive this year now that our offensive coordinator isn't stuck in the 1998 Rams.

IMO, Webb is still the weak link in the offensive line, but the Bears almost never helped him out against top pass rushers by chipping or having a TE help double a rusher. Even after Jared Allen repeatedly torched him, they waited for the second half to give him any help. Webb/Williams/Garza/Louis/Carimi will be a solid line next year if they stay healthy. And with the additions of Rachal and Spencer coming back, their depth is better by default, as Omiyale is gone. The run blocking was never a problem, the pass blocking will be helped by quicker developing plays.

It could also be helped by having 2 fairly big WR's who can get open early, and 2 WR's Cutler is quite familiar with, and a legit #1, "Bailout" option as well.