Chris Sale is now the CLOSER?!/Until he's not (Update)

Steve9347

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
Well, most importantly, hopefully it's not serious for Sale and he's able to recover. If this ends up being a TJS situation, this organization is completely screwed.

I just don't want to think about that possibility right now...it's a "tender" elbow. I don't want us all to worry more than we actually have to...

Just don't know what to make of this yet. They're worried enough to yank him from the rotation, but not worried enough to DL him? I just don't know what to think about that...I want to believe that they are just being over-cautious.

Edited by jeffro2525

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you people insane?

Did I seriously read someone call for KW to "leave" because Sale has a sore elbow?! Seriously? Would Sale be better on the DL?

I sometimes wonder about the lack of logic around here. :P

Health and longevity have always been a concern for Sale.

Seems to me that they've evaluated his risk of injury against projected IP and came to the conclusion that he'd be safer back in the pen....

Which leads me to believe that he will never amount to anything more than an elite bullpen arm.

Hope I'm wrong - that'd be sad.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Why are you people insane?

Did I seriously read someone call for KW to "leave" because Sale has a sore elbow?! Seriously? Would Sale be better on the DL?

I sometimes wonder about the lack of logic around here. :P

It's cause they completely botched how they've handled Sale. He should have been starting in the minors last year so that he was ready to log starter's innings this year. This isn't exactly a new topic of conversation on here, and quite frankly, I'm sure a lot of people on here think it was just a matter of time before Sale got injured as a starter. And yes, you absolutely DL him instead of putting him in stressful situations (like which every other team in the majors would do). Also, Sox would probably feel more comfortable with putting him on the DL if not for the idiotic decision of making Santiago a closer out of ST.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
It's cause they completely botched how they've handled Sale. He should have been starting in the minors last year so that he was ready to log starter's innings this year. This isn't exactly a new topic of conversation on here, and quite frankly, I'm sure a lot of people on here think it was just a matter of time before Sale got injured as a starter. And yes, you absolutely DL him instead of putting him in stressful situations (like which every other team in the majors would do). Also, Sox would probably feel more comfortable with putting him on the DL if not for the idiotic decision of making Santiago a closer out of ST.

Cosign this entire post.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 4, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
So, I'm guessing this is perrmanent? Based on what Coop is saying.

So next year's rotation is Danks, Humber, Axelrod, Stewart and Santiago/Molina :)

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:54 PM)
Santiago should get sent down to start in AAA, as there's no reason to have 4 lefties in your bullpen.

This is very true. Don't need Thornton, Sale, Santiago and Ohman all in the bullpen.

And now is the time...Matt Thornton has to go. Yankees and Red Sox have never needed bullpen help worse than they do now.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
So next year's rotation is Danks, Humber, Axelrod, Stewart and Santiago/Molina :)

Welcome to circa pre 2005 again and the ever revolving 4th / 5th start spots.

:unsure:

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
somebody has to go when Crain comes back. I say either Santiago or Ohman is the odd man out.

They're not going to drop Ohman when Santiago has options.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
Wow, it's a permanent decision for this year according to Merkin. I've never seen anything like this.

I'm pretty sure I can go back and find myself having some serious "I told you so"'s on this one and the decision to put Sale in the pen last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
It's cause they completely botched how they've handled Sale. He should have been starting in the minors last year so that he was ready to log starter's innings this year.

Maybe he would have developed the tender elbow starting in the minors last year. Maybe the kid is just not physically able to be a starter because of his mechanics.

Also, wasn't one of the main reasons the Sox were able to sign Sale after the draft that they promised him that he would be pitching in the major leagues within a year?

Based on the Tribune article, it sure seems like the Sox were expecting to have to move him back to the bullpen. If that's the case, then another case of terrible scouting prior to the draft. I do like Sale, and what's done is done. Hopefully he turns into Billy Wagner.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
I'm pretty sure I can go back and find myself having some serious "I told you so"'s on this one and the decision to put Sale in the pen last year.

How do you know starting him in AAA last year wouldn't have produced the same result? Seems like quite the reach there.

QUOTE (Sockin @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:11 PM)
Who gets demoted when Crain comes back? Has to be Santiago, right?

I think it will be Stewart, unless Santiago gets bombed before that. Crain isn't ready to come off yet though, and might be another 10 days.

The 2010 draft featured 1st and 3rd round picks that are now apparently permanent relief pitchers. I don't claim to be a scouting or draft guru, but that sounds like something the 30th rated farm system would do.