Chris Sale is now the CLOSER?!/Until he's not (Update)

Steve9347

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:17 PM)
You know what's really scary?

What if he's a lousy closer?

It was a pleasure to watch him start and completely make me forget bout Mark.

It's hard to be a fan of this team.

I don't see that happening unless his soreness gets worse. People have a tough time hitting him when he's at 91. He'll probably get it cranked back up around 100 in a little bit and the opposition will look like Morel.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
I'd still say it makes plenty of sense to me.

The usual rule of thumb with a pitcher is that you want to increase his innings by 25 a year. Dropping them in half and then trying to push them back up is completely the opposite.

He's still 40 short of last season. Your argument is beyond flawed. Quit patting yourself on the back. If Sale started at Charlotte, he most likely would have had the same issues if not worse.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
And that'll about end my interest in the 2012 Sox. The sweep by Detroit this weekend will also help.

Hope Jake, AJ, Floyd, Thornton play well and get a haul in July. s*** maybe get like a Texeria deal Paulie with a year on his contract. Haha sorry made myself laugh with that, like Kenny could ever get the kind of haul Texas got...

You can't fool White Sox fans.

That's why nobody will go to the games anymore.

They should offer a season ticket discount to fans who wanted to see Sale start all year.

What stupid reasoning. He's a damn good starter now.

He has elbow problems?

Well f***ing deal with them. Send him down. DL him. Watch him like the Royals did Duffy. Treat him.

Make him the closer??? It makes no sense.

Yeah, see Moore, Matt.

Too bad we gave Danks $65 million. That makes even LESS sense now with Sale unlikely to be a member of the starting rotation again.

Too bad you don't burn first round draft picks on relievers. We've done that twice now with both Sale and Royce Ring. It's like taking a punter or place kicker in the first round of the NFL draft.

Did they say this was permanent? Cause it has to be.

What are they gonna do? Make him a starter again next year and when the elbow tightens after a month he's a closer again?

Some of you act like this happening to the elbow was natural.

Well why did they make him a starter then if the elbow needed to be stretched out.

I don't get this.

It's all stupid.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:35 PM)
Listening to Hawk, it sounds like he's never going to be a starter again.

That's what I was thinking. I don't see how this can be anything but permanent or moving him there would really not make any sense. Stone made the point that as a closer, he won't throw as many types of pitches which will help him as well.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
That's what I was thinking. I don't see how this can be anything but permanent or moving him there would really not make any sense. Stone made the point that as a closer, he won't throw as many types of pitches which will help him as well.

Sounds like Sale will not start in a Sox uniform again!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 5, 2012 -> 12:53 AM)
For the love of god, can someone please ban this f***ing troll!?

Who is a troll? With your temper, you might be the one getting banned?

I'm pissed at this move and KC is only a couple games behind the Sox.

Switching Sale makes no sense at all after reading the articles.

I could see if this decision was made by a soccer mom worried about her baby's arm. Nolan Ryan would laugh in the face of this move. Ridiculous. Insulting. It will show at the box office. Sox fans are not stupid. This team is one horrid road trip from going down the tubes, considering it is blah at home.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 5, 2012 -> 12:30 AM)

I could see if this decision was made by a soccer mom worried about her baby's arm. Nolan Ryan would laugh in the face of this move. Ridiculous. Insulting. It will show at the box office. Sox fans are not stupid. This team is one horrid road trip from going down the tubes, considering it is blah at home.

Who the hell cares if KC finishes higher than the Sox? For about 6 years now, we've told you if you don't make the playoffs, you might as well finish with the worst record in baseball.

I almost drove off the road when I heard this news.

The only thing I can HOPE for is that they want to limit his innings in the middle part of the season so he can have enough left in the tank to move back in the rotation by July maybe and finish out the season strong. I'm just basing this off his rumored 170 innings or so limit they wanted to employ. Maybe instead of getting to September at 170 innings, he can get to September with only 140 and they won't have to shut him down.

I don't know, purely speculating and trying to hope for the best.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 4, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
Hawk just said he was 100 percent behind the move.

If you looked closely you could see The Chairman pulling the strings.

Is it true that Hawk said "It's easier to find a starter than a closer"? That statement is just wrong on so many levels.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)

Greg, we understand that you are from Kansas. Because You make a concerted effort to draw parallels with the terrible run Royals. This is a whitesox board. I could really give 2 s***s if I ever hear about the royals again. In fact there's a thread for the AL central. But every f***ing day seeing some sort of tie-in is annoying. Look at Morel, he sucks. He is like X random royals busted prospect. Oh look KennyWilliams, he is so insert bad royals GM here. Enough.