Chris Sale is now the CLOSER?!/Until he's not (Update)

Steve9347

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 4, 2012 -> 08:39 PM)
Is it true that Hawk said "It's easier to find a starter than a closer"? That statement is just wrong on so many levels.

I mean, technically it's true. There are 5 times as many starters in baseball than there are closers. And there are many more great starters in baseball than great closers, but still, of equal skill, a starter has much more value.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 4, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
I mean, technically it's true. There are 5 times as many starters in baseball than there are closers. And there are many more great starters in baseball than great closers, but still, of equal skill, a starter has much more value.

Yeah, but it's much harder to find a good starter than a good closer. Look at how many random guys get thrown in the 9th inning spot and succeed. You can't say the same thing about starters, especially starters pitching like Sale had been.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
It's cause they completely botched how they've handled Sale. He should have been starting in the minors last year so that he was ready to log starter's innings this year. This isn't exactly a new topic of conversation on here, and quite frankly, I'm sure a lot of people on here think it was just a matter of time before Sale got injured as a starter. And yes, you absolutely DL him instead of putting him in stressful situations (like which every other team in the majors would do). Also, Sox would probably feel more comfortable with putting him on the DL if not for the idiotic decision of making Santiago a closer out of ST.

I don't know if they've botched anything other than overdrafting him. He had/has quite a few similarities to Strasburg and thus scouts and KW believed that he was explosive and hard to pass up on.

He's due for "sore elbow" and eventually "Tommy John" because of his questionable throwing motion (inverted-W). Putting him back in the bullpen slows the eventuality of ACL/MCL surgery, while putting him on the DL for a pre-symptom of eventual ACL damage doesn't solve anything.

It's a short-term solution for an eventual problem.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Sale will be out of commission by mid-to late 2013 with TJ surgery needed.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 5, 2012 -> 01:54 AM)
They may as well trade him. Reed is the best RP in the organization.

Does make you wonder what they're going to do with both of those guys? Makes no sense going forward of wasting Reed as a set-up man. Hell, try trading Reed and Thornton for Trumbo.

Edited by fathom

If this franchise had any f***ing clue, they'd have traded Sale for immense value if they internally did not believe he could hold up. All reports state that he wanted to continue starting. Let him go out there a couple more times, make some wild offer (UM DAVID WRIGHT ANYONE??) and upgrade the roster.

Tell me Morel + Sale doesn't get you Wright (prior to so publicly pissing on your player's value?)

God, this organization is being run by a dolt.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 5, 2012 -> 03:00 AM)
If this franchise had any f***ing clue, they'd have traded Sale for immense value if they internally did not believe he could hold up. All reports state that he wanted to continue starting. Let him go out there a couple more times, make some wild offer (UM DAVID WRIGHT ANYONE??) and upgrade the roster.

Tell me Morel + Sale doesn't get you Wright (prior to so publicly pissing on your player's value?)

Why bring in someone who's a FA after the year and going to make a fortune?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)

Well, Sale alone should get you more than Wright if other teams had no concern over his mechanics. Plus, Wright's making a ton of money, money we kind of don't have.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:01 PM)
Why bring in someone who's a FA after the year and going to make a fortune?

I'd rather have 5 months of Wright than a career of a relief pitcher. I've been very consistent with how much I care about relief pitchers and the complete randomness of their statistics.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Well, Sale alone should get you more than Wright if other teams had no concern over his mechanics. Plus, Wright's making a ton of money, money we kind of don't have.

He does make cash - but either way they flushed Sale's value down the toilet today and could have turned him into something that would make a difference. We already have a long-term closer who would be better in the role than Sale in Addison Reed.

This organization is run ass-backwards.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 4, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Are people seriously mad about the org saving this kid's arm? Smart move, better than most teams would've done. Sale is a TJ surgery waiting to happen, hopefully they help him build up the strength to prevent it.

No ones mad about saving his arm. They are mad about how unconventional his handling was, and how perhaps things could have been different if they would have let him develop more traditionally. Especially for an organization starved of anything resembling a SP.

Sale probably makes a good closer. If he can hold up. In hindsight, they should have kept him the bullpen and made him the closer going into this year.

Thus Sale will never start again. Opens the door for Axelrod. Hope that he takes this opportunity and does well.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 5, 2012 -> 05:12 AM)
Isn't this a really bad idea?? They are going to use him even more often.. given we have to have the lead.. but he will be used much more often as a closer than as a starter..maybe less pitches but frequency is sure to be up.

Read the article right above your post. Sale even admitted to being sore when used as a reliever.

I'd be shocked if any relievers were pitching without soreness. That's just something a starter says when he has never relieved before. As he felt soreness he was lighting up the gun at 101, lol

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ May 5, 2012 -> 04:23 AM)
Well if he was feeling it last season.. they really should shut him down and figure out what is wrong.. not putting him at closer.. don't like this choice

If he has a bad arm, he has a bad arm. Shut him down and keep him at starter. How the hell will all the work a closer does help his arm??

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 4, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Why are you people insane?

Did I seriously read someone call for KW to "leave" because Sale has a sore elbow?! Seriously? Would Sale be better on the DL?

I sometimes wonder about the lack of logic around here. :P

We are requesting his departure because his hasn't done crap in 7 years...and now this????

Edited by mcgrad70