Gameday Thread-Doubleheader Special: White Sox vs Indians

Kyyle23

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
What exactly is there to look forward to now? The organization is not in a good spot at all.

Offensively and bullpen rebuild has begun, Starting pitching would be only real change.

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:19 AM)
No there is not...but atleast you have some decent players in place. Just wait until your the laughing stock of the league for 5-10 years. Boy thats going to be really fun.

How much worse can it get? Attendance is a debacle, which goes to show you that people don't come to the park just to watch Konerko or Dunn or Peavy. All Sox fans care about is that the Sox are contending (with regards to attendance), so there's no big difference between having a 65 win team and 72 win team.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
Don't forget how good he's been for so long with a 1 pitch repertoire. He just needs to throw it in the right place.

Even when it is good enough, they know it's coming and they get wood on it and they shank some bulls*** out over the infield. Guy gives up so many bulls*** bloop hits because they know a fast ball is coming and time it up enough to at least get a piece of it.

I still think Thornton will have value to many teams, he's a hard throwing proven LHP and it just takes one team to think he needs a change of scenary. However if the Sox season starts to take a dump, then it's time for KW to swallow his pride and start to trade off parts and rebuild. I see what the Cubs are doing and I wouldn't mind the Sox doing it either. I can live with a rebuild if it's done the right way.

IMO going to full rebuild is a terrible idea. That's what organizations with no money, in bad markets do. We are not the Chicago Cubs, we can put a contending on the field product while building up our system. I can live with 2006-2011 if the behind the scenes moves are made that allow us to compete for the future. No more all-in, but you can still spend on veterans, send down young guys that can't hit, etc.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
How much worse can it get? Attendance is a debacle, which goes to show you that people don't come to the park just to watch Konerko or Dunn or Peavy. All Sox fans care about is that the Sox are contending (with regards to attendance), so there's no big difference between having a 65 win team and 72 win team.

The question is how long do you plan to rebuild? You dont think it can get worse but over time it certainly can. You can waist alot of years trying to rebuild.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 8, 2012 -> 04:21 AM)
IMO going to full rebuild is a terrible idea. That's what organizations with no money, in bad markets do. We are not the Chicago Cubs, we can put a contending on the field product while building up our system. I can live with 2006-2011 if the behind the scenes moves are made that allow us to compete for the future. No more all-in, but you can still spend on veterans, send down young guys that can't hit, etc.

How do you plan on Sox being able to contend? You're going to have to spend a lot of money this offseason if you want to fill the holes that will exist, and with the attendance being as bad as it's been, that doesn't seem likely.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 8, 2012 -> 04:22 AM)
The question is how long do you plan to rebuild? You dont think it can get worse but over time it certainly can. You can waist alot of years trying to rebuild.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Sox to contend every year and have the park buzzing. However, the resources just don't seem to be there, and it's vital that the current regime in the front office leave and someone else try to fix things.

Let's just hope the bevy of young pitchers like Molina, Castro, Hernandez, Martinez, Quintana that we acquired along with some of the existing guys turn out well. There are some positives in the system like Phegley, Mitchell at the positions as well.

Jones and Reed look like bullpen staples for the future.

Getting something out of Santiago or Axelrod, even if it's just a serviceable back-end starter, would be huge.

I'd like to see us use our draft pick on a position player this year, maybe a third baseman or a shortstop.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:25 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Sox to contend every year and have the park buzzing. However, the resources just don't seem to be there, and it's vital that the current regime in the front office leave and someone else try to fix things.

You do know it could take a VERY long time to rebuild right?

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2012 -> 04:30 AM)
Danks will stop the bleeding tomorrow.

I would be significantly happier if we lose 1-0 tomorrow and Danks looks great as opposed to winning 10-9 with Danks getting rocked. For all the talk about rebuilding vs trying to compete, Danks might be the most important player in the organization.

QUOTE (Baron @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:15 AM)
and some of you guys want a total rebuild. You think this year is fun. Just wait until we dont have much to look forward to.

I've yet to have anybody on this site explain what they mean by a total rebuild.

I look at the roster the last couple years and see Dunn, Rios, Peavy, AJ and some of the veteran pitchers we've had and do not know what they want when they say they want the Sox to rebuild or we are in a rebuild.

So we trade a batch of players and get guys like Molina, etc.

Will that guarantee winning in 5-10 years?

I'd prefer we get a GM who knows what he is doing and sign some free agents that can actually hit the ball and pitch the ball to go with the handful of decent players we already have.

I guess if we win 50 games a year with no names we can all feel good about "rebuilding"

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:36 AM)
I guess if we win 50 games a year with no names we can all feel good about "rebuilding"

Means the same as winning 75 games, especially if attendance for a 75 win team is going to be near the bottom like it has been. I know this is something that you and I have already disagreed about.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:07 PM)
Our young hitters cannot hit offspeed pitches, with the exception of Dayan who cannot hit fastballs. Ugh

They haven't fielded a team that could hit offspeed pitching since 1967

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2012 -> 03:42 AM)
Means the same as winning 75 games, especially if attendance for a 75 win team is going to be near the bottom like it has been. I know this is something that you and I have already disagreed about.

True about the attendance, but with our organization, does "rebuilding" mean winning 50 games a year for a decade and hopefully having enough good No. 1 draft picks compiled (assuming Sox will sign them) and enough Cuban players that we will win and win big?

And we trust Kenny and Buddy Bell to be ringleaders of this?

The Sox are not traditionally as cheap as some teams like the Pirates, Royals, etc., so why not simply try to "reload?" The Peavy contract is almost gone and if Dunn keeps whacking homers, maybe somebody will take him off our hands. Then the Sox can try to sign some decent free agents, not stiffs.

At that point, lets reload with a new GM. Or maybe the Sox investors could sell to Mark Cuban and we could become annual big-time free agent players.

Edited by greg775