Get a new deal done with Peavy now!

sin city sox fan

Come on Kenny! Give us something positive and secure JFP to a long term deal now. Offer 8 years / $220 million and be prepared to go up to 10 years / $285 million. The Jakemeister is back and we can't have his time in a White Sox uniform dominated by the struggles of previous seasons. He has to go into the Hall in 2027 wearing a White Sox hat!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:06 AM)
Oh god, please tell me you are kidding.

I wouldn't offer him anything, but if the Sox really wanted him back and the feelings were mutual, I'd be on board for like 3 yrs/$30M, but Jake would get a lot more than that elsewhere, probably.

If Kenny went to him with a 3yr/$30 million deal, he should be fired on the spot. That would be embarrassing to offer the best pitcher in the game a middle of the road contract.

Best pitcher in the game? You're joking, right?

Based on 2008-2011, you can no longer call him the best pitcher in the game....I'm not even sure if you could do it if he put up these same numbers for the entire season, which is about the same likelihood of happening as Dayan Viciedo climbing Mt. Everest without oxygen.

There are teams that might offer $35-50 million for 3 years, but I think you're much more likely to be fewer years and higher dollars numbers, like $25 million for two years. The surgery he had was the first of its kind, and nobody knows how long his body will hold out.

Obviously he's down 3-5 MPH from what he used to throw in his prime. He's compensating now with location, movement and savvy, but I just can't believe it will last all season. I'd be elated if he put up a 3.2-3.50 ERA for the season, although he's still more likely be "salary dumped" in July or August.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:11 AM)
If Kenny went to him with a 3yr/$30 million deal, he should be fired on the spot. That would be embarrassing to offer the best pitcher in the game a middle of the road contract.

Why would a GM ever be fired for offering a constantly injured pitcher "LESS" than you feel he is worth? GMs get fired for overpaying, not lowballing (in your opinion).

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

Are you f***ing kidding me? That would be one of the richest contracts in MLB history for a guy who has strung together 7 good starts, after 3 pitiful years.

Edit: Felix Hernandez wouldn't even get that kind of money if he hit free agency

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (kev211 @ May 9, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
Are you f***ing kidding me? That would be one of the richest contracts in MLB history for a guy who has strung together 7 good starts, after 3 pitiful years.

Edit: Felix Hernandez wouldn't even get that kind of money if he hit free agency

Don't feed the troll..

QUOTE (MAX @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:42 AM)
We have him signed (option) next year for twenty something million. We don't need to do anything long term like that now.

Exactly. If Peavy pitches like this the rest of the way, then you simply pick up his option at the end of the season. The $22 million may seem like a lot, but the marginal cost is really $18 million and if you have to overpay any position on a year deal a legit ace is by far the spot to do so. Regardless, there is absolutely no reason to rush into anything stupid.

If he continues to pitch like this, the Sox should approach him about restructuring the option into a 2 or 3 year deal. But, the Sox aren't going to offer anything extreme. 2 years/$25 Million, 3 years/$36 million...that's about it. There will be several teams that might offer upwards of $15-$17 million per. Long story short, unless the Sox pick up the $22 million option (ha!) or Peavy accepts a "hometown" discount, he will not be pitching for the Sox next year.

Edited by pittshoganerkoff

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 10, 2012 -> 04:19 AM)
Exactly. If Peavy pitches like this the rest of the way, then you simply pick up his option at the end of the season. The $22 million may seem like a lot, but the marginal cost is really $18 million and if you have to overpay any position on a year deal a legit ace is by far the spot to do so. Regardless, there is absolutely no reason to rush into anything stupid.

I hadn't thought of it that way. Good point.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 10, 2012 -> 12:02 AM)
Come on Kenny! Give us something positive and secure JFP to a long term deal now. Offer 8 years / $220 million and be prepared to go up to 10 years / $285 million. The Jakemeister is back and we can't have his time in a White Sox uniform dominated by the struggles of previous seasons. He has to go into the Hall in 2027 wearing a White Sox hat!

Joker.gif

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 10, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
The best thing that could happen is Jake continues pitching like a madman and has great value at the trade deadline.

Assuming we're out of it, I agree with this. Even if we have to pick up the buy out, if Peavy is pitching like this in late July someone will be willing to give us a nice return on him.

That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to asking him to restructure his option to be spread out over 2-3 years and if he truly does feel bad about not performing here maybe he bites at it.

He's "not old" and sure maybe the surgery was a success. Maybe yes, maybe just for now.

But I don't see it aligning for him here. With what he's been through, he will definitely be looking at one more big payday.

If we're smart, we make a judgment call at the deadline and get something back for what (unfortunately) was an injury-riddled experiment.

Kenny should've seen some drop off in the Padres stats before making this move, but I won't kill him over it. You have to get an ace when you can, and the pitchers we gave up weren't special.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Would you sign him to a one year deal worth $18 million? If he keeps this up i think that's a no brainer. If he wants to restructure over a couple of years even better. Worst case he wants a long term deal and he gets traded for a good haul. Sox are sitting in a pretty good position here with Peavy.

QUOTE (zirc @ May 10, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Would you sign him to a one year deal worth $18 million? If he keeps this up i think that's a no brainer. If he wants to restructure over a couple of years even better. Worst case he wants a long term deal and he gets traded for a good haul. Sox are sitting in a pretty good position here with Peavy.

traded with an 18 million dollar 1 year contract? yeah no.