Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
Well, yeah, I guess we do shift our OF about 10 feet when a lefty is up, but I was more of less thinking of infield shifts or when teams would bring in a 5th IF.

Its actually a tournament strategy. I play against some pretty damn good teams that play tournaments all the time in joliet, and every single one of them plays 2 shortstops and 3 outfielders. When I played a tournament in Carol Stream 2 weeks ago every team we played used that strategy.

It is silly to lesser teams like the teams me and you run. But when you get to the next level where the players are ex college players and are much more athletic than the average guy like me and you that play maybe once or twice a week, they play the game to not allow the bleeder single in the hole, and make hitters hit it in front of the OF or over the fence.

I also use the normal infield and 4 man outfield, but those big boy teams use proven strategies.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We rotate fields, the four fields have fence lengths ranging from 270 to 300. We are a no limit league. But we play at the "B" level, the "A" guys may have a limit, I am not sure. B and C have no limit. The "A" league guys are pretty impressive, its clear at least some of them played college ball or better.

And I have to tell you, after playing city leagues for so long, these fields in Northbrook are incredible. Beautiful grass, well-trimmed lines, partially padded fences, clean infield dirt... as opposed to dodging sewer grates, gopher holes and stuff the homeless people leave on the field and no fences at all.

I used to hit for power, and could hit it out over these length fences from both sides of the plate. Still can, but not as easily, and if I tried to do that in the games I'd just pop out 90% of the time (as others have said). So I've converted to being more of a line drive hitter.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ May 13, 2012 -> 09:43 PM)
I've started the season off 10 for 12 with 7 RBI's. 1 of my 2 outs was a homerun but we were passed our limit. Otherwise I've only had a lazy fly to Right Center for my only other out.

In 2 games so far I haven't made an out... but the first game was the definition of lucky. I was lunging and overanxious at the plate (which I swear happens to me every opening day), and hit three ground balls to the left side. One scooted just between SS and 3B, another was an unintentional bunt, the third the 3B just couldn't get there and get a decent throw off fast enough. Plus a walk. 3-3 +BB looks great on the stat sheet, but doesn't reflect the ugliness that it was.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2012 -> 10:04 AM)
In 2 games so far I haven't made an out... but the first game was the definition of lucky. I was lunging and overanxious at the plate (which I swear happens to me every opening day), and hit three ground balls to the left side. One scooted just between SS and 3B, another was an unintentional bunt, the third the 3B just couldn't get there and get a decent throw off fast enough. Plus a walk. 3-3 +BB looks great on the stat sheet, but doesn't reflect the ugliness that it was.

Don't question it, just take it! A night is coming when you're going to hit three ropes right at guys, you know it.

So today is the day when I hate being manager. 2 guys out because 1 is getting married and the other is his brother standing up for him. 2 guys lets me know just that they cant come because of work. So now I have 9 players against one of the top teams in the league.

Im 100 percent serious, if any of you softball players can make it to Melas park in Arlington Heights by 7:30 I will put you in.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 14, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Don't question it, just take it! A night is coming when you're going to hit three ropes right at guys, you know it.

Heh. Well, it did in fact come back around last night, but not as envisioned. I hurt my knee working on our fence at home in the afternoon, and couldn't make a swing right-handed without it buckling a bit (right knee). So I hit LH, which I hadn't done in a couple years. Struck out the first at bat (haven't done THAT in a couple years either), then hit a line shot foul on 2 strikes for another out. Switched back to right, hit a line drive, winced in pain, looked up and saw it went right to the 3B. O-fer-three on the night. Figures.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2012 -> 02:19 PM)
So today is the day when I hate being manager. 2 guys out because 1 is getting married and the other is his brother standing up for him. 2 guys lets me know just that they cant come because of work. So now I have 9 players against one of the top teams in the league.

Im 100 percent serious, if any of you softball players can make it to Melas park in Arlington Heights by 7:30 I will put you in.

Normally I'd be there, its not too far from me... but we are crazy busy getting ready for the 2nd kid arriving any day, I just can't do it. Also my knee still hurts.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 17, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Its ok, I just had an emergency fill in.

I seriously hate being captain/manager. The pay sucks, nobody listens or shows up, nothing but grief ;)

I agree 100%. Between the last minute "I can't make it" to people b****ing about which position they were playing or where they hit in the lineup...it just became too much for me. And that was with a group of actual friends. I'm very glad to be just a teammate now, and not in charge. It's a thankless job. Good luck the rest of the way.

So right after I comment on this thread, I get a phone call from our best power hitter saying he hurt his hand and can't play our double header tonight. Ugh.

I got a replacement, but we got killed both games. Lost 13-6, and then 16-2. I went 3/5 at the plate. I accidentally muscled up and blast one deep to right center field, and the outfielder made a great running grab on it. Blaaahh.

And yes, I DO keep personal stats for myself each game! Not RBIs, because thats too hard to remember sometimes, but batting AVG. I was 4/5 in our first game, 1/3 in our second, and 2/2 in our third. So I'm 7 for 10 on the season. Not too shabby, batting .700.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 17, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
So right after I comment on this thread, I get a phone call from our best power hitter saying he hurt his hand and can't play our double header tonight. Ugh.

I got a replacement, but we got killed both games. Lost 13-6, and then 16-2. I went 3/5 at the plate. I accidentally muscled up and blast one deep to right center field, and the outfielder made a great running grab on it. Blaaahh.

And yes, I DO keep personal stats for myself each game! Not RBIs, because thats too hard to remember sometimes, but batting AVG. I was 4/5 in our first game, 1/3 in our second, and 2/2 in our third. So I'm 7 for 10 on the season. Not too shabby, batting .700.

Our team loves our stats

http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_baseball...p;sid=372174075

this site is awesome, we love it.

And yea, your AUTHORITAY dont mean jack, lol. s*** happens, we had a no show last night and played the second best team in the park with 9 guys, and one was a sub that hasnt played 12" ever, and boy was he bad. We lost 21-9. They just peppered the gaps on us.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Where the hell do you guys sign up for these leagues? I'm too old to play organized baseball now and I've always enjoyed how easy it is to hit in softball.

For me it was right place right time. I met a guy at work who was looking for some people to play, and I joined. When i was in Carbondale I just went to a game and hung around and looked for a team needing players. YOu can usually spot them

Where the hell do you guys sign up for these leagues? I'm too old to play organized baseball now and I've always enjoyed how easy it is to hit in softball.

I coached/played on company teams, started a couple teams on my own... this one, I moved to a suburb and didn't really know anyone or a team, so I just called the park district to see if they were taking any free agents. He had me email him a "softball resume" (that was fun to write), he sent it to the coaches of the teams in various leagues, and then I started getting emails from the coaches about playing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 18, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I coached/played on company teams, started a couple teams on my own... this one, I moved to a suburb and didn't really know anyone or a team, so I just called the park district to see if they were taking any free agents. He had me email him a "softball resume" (that was fun to write), he sent it to the coaches of the teams in various leagues, and then I started getting emails from the coaches about playing.

When did you inquire about your free agency? Right when the leagues started?

My team has been playing since HS. We were juniors and heard about a senior team who was playing. So our senior year we decided to make a team, and have played every year since.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)

As a captain, we get an email once or twice a year "hey guys, we have some people looking for teams. if you are interested let me know and I will send you their info"

Just contact your local park district and let them know

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 18, 2012 -> 01:34 PM)
As a captain, we get an email once or twice a year "hey guys, we have some people looking for teams. if you are interested let me know and I will send you their info"

Just contact your local park district and let them know

Cool, thanks for the info.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 18, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)

Like Kyle said. More detail... I called last year near the end of summer league, looking to get on for fall. Now I'm playing the full summer with the team I got on with last fall.

Anyone here every play in a rec-level, or at least not super-competitive level softball league, and run into "that guy" who takes everything so seriously that he's a cartoon?

My knee has been hurting so I was catching last night. This guy comes up, puts his hand to the ump for time, while he digs around in the box for about 20 minutes. Then he finally puts his hand down, and starts swinging the bat back and forth. So the ump says its on, the pitcher delivers a pitch, and just as the pitch is being delivered, he backs out of the box. Pitch is good, ump calls a strike.

This dude looks at the umpire and says "come on man, I can't have a chance to get ready here? Do I need to f***ing say 'time out" or something?" And he's completely serious, looking all offended.

The ump and I look at him, the ump says, "maybe you should. Will you get back in there now please?"

Dude gets back in the box, all pissy, and proceeds to ground out to short, cussing all the way to first.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Anyone here every play in a rec-level, or at least not super-competitive level softball league, and run into "that guy" who takes everything so seriously that he's a cartoon?

My knee has been hurting so I was catching last night. This guy comes up, puts his hand to the ump for time, while he digs around in the box for about 20 minutes. Then he finally puts his hand down, and starts swinging the bat back and forth. So the ump says its on, the pitcher delivers a pitch, and just as the pitch is being delivered, he backs out of the box. Pitch is good, ump calls a strike.

This dude looks at the umpire and says "come on man, I can't have a chance to get ready here? Do I need to f***ing say 'time out" or something?" And he's completely serious, looking all offended.

The ump and I look at him, the ump says, "maybe you should. Will you get back in there now please?"

Dude gets back in the box, all pissy, and proceeds to ground out to short, cussing all the way to first.

Looks like you got a Derek Jeter situation.