Slow pitch softball thread

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 24, 2012 -> 09:43 AM)
Anyone here every play in a rec-level, or at least not super-competitive level softball league, and run into "that guy" who takes everything so seriously that he's a cartoon?

My knee has been hurting so I was catching last night. This guy comes up, puts his hand to the ump for time, while he digs around in the box for about 20 minutes. Then he finally puts his hand down, and starts swinging the bat back and forth. So the ump says its on, the pitcher delivers a pitch, and just as the pitch is being delivered, he backs out of the box. Pitch is good, ump calls a strike.

This dude looks at the umpire and says "come on man, I can't have a chance to get ready here? Do I need to f***ing say 'time out" or something?" And he's completely serious, looking all offended.

The ump and I look at him, the ump says, "maybe you should. Will you get back in there now please?"

Dude gets back in the box, all pissy, and proceeds to ground out to short, cussing all the way to first.

One of my friends, and teammate for years is that guy. He does the Bryce Harper eye black stuff, is super serious, and is always in the zone with a game face on. He doesn't do that s*** in the batters box though, and he is actually a very good player.

But last night was the season opener for my co-ed team, and there was a guy on the other team who stood in the box with his hand up to the ump as he moved the dirt around to make a foothole for 25-30 seconds. I am not even kidding. I took my glove off and put it under my arm and just stared at him. When he finally said he was ready, I just stood there for another 5 seconds and said "You good, or what?". He then proceeded to reach base against our terrible defense, so that wasn't cool.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 24, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
pop out, pop out line out last game. I'm way out in front, not sure how I got that way.

That is what's do the first two games of the season usually. Than I open stance and just try and make solid contact.

We had a 30 mph wind blowing straight in from left field, so we had quite a weird game, we won 5-4 in extra innings.

We were losing 4-2 in the last inning with runners on first and second 2 outs, I hit a slow dribbler up the middle and the shortstop went behind the bag and fielded it but nobody covered second base. So now bases loaded, and the guy after me pops up to second base, the second baseman drops the ball and two runs score, tie game.

We went to extra innings and played international rules (the last out of the previous inning goes to second base, and everyone starts with a full count. Basically you are forced to swing or take a walk). They started with a long drive to LCF that my OF tracked down and caught but the runner moved to 3rd. We walked the next guy and rolled a double play. We loaded the bases the next half inning and hit a walkoff sac fly. So weird to win a softball game 5-4

QUOTE (Brian @ May 24, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
That is what's do the first two games of the season usually. Than I open stance and just try and make solid contact.

It was our 6th game and I've been hitting over .600, no idea how I started to do it and it pisses me off. I need to go back to trying to kill the pitcher.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
It was our 6th game and I've been hitting over .600, no idea how I started to do it and it pisses me off. I need to go back to trying to kill the pitcher.

It's so easy to get greedy in slow pitch softball.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
It's so easy to get greedy in slow pitch softball.

Totally, I'm not really a power hitter as I get doubles on singles because of speed so I think I have been trying to get a little more power in my game and swung out of my shoes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 25, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Totally, I'm not really a power hitter as I get doubles on singles because of speed so I think I have been trying to get a little more power in my game and swung out of my shoes.

Gotta stay within your game. Look for the holes and weaknesses and go in with that plan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)
Gotta stay within your game. Look for the holes and weaknesses and go in with that plan.

Yep. It's really quite easy to hit the ball where you want to if you get a good pitch, and you are disciplined.

But in our second game tonight, the other team only had 3 outfielders, and we only managed to take advantage of it once, when the RF came in on a ball over his head. It was frustrated when a team is short a player, and you don't exploit it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
I had that guy on my team for years. He was a big part of the team breaking up last year.

We play 12 inch out here with mitts.

Do you guys play 16 inch still in Chicago? Is it common to see guys strike out with the high high arch and the big ball?

What do you guys prefer: 12 inch or 16?

Is 16 actually fun?

12", 14", and 16" are all very common around chicago. For whatever reason the closer you get to the city 16" ball is more prevalent, but in the burbs 12" is pretty popular. 14" is pretty much strictly coed.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 25, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
My fall team threw two shutouts last season 15-0 and 10-0.

We have shut out teams before too, it isn't easy but we have done it. Still, 9 runs between two teams is not normal for us

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 25, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
We play 12 inch out here with mitts.

Do you guys play 16 inch still in Chicago? Is it common to see guys strike out with the high high arch and the big ball?

What do you guys prefer: 12 inch or 16?

Is 16 actually fun?

I played 16 inch once when I was young, but I can't imagine it being too much fun. Maybe for the older and younger crowd, because the ball is squishy and you can't hit it very far anyway, but I love 12 inch.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:19 PM)
I played 16 inch once when I was young, but I can't imagine it being too much fun. Maybe for the older and younger crowd, because the ball is squishy and you can't hit it very far anyway, but I love 12 inch.

I liked both games, but 16" was always way more challenging IMO because you don't have a glove to help you.

In the leagues I played in we had a bunch of guys who could crush a 16" ball - we had guys going 250' or more the opposite way.

The weirdest tournament I played in was a 16" tourney with gloves allowed. Half the guys refused the gloves because they weren't used to playing that way.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
I played 16" for one year in the financial league at Grant Park. I hated it. I know that is sacrilegious in Chicago, but too damned bad. Now put some ketchup on my hot dog and leave me alone.

Rowand44 likes this post.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:58 PM)
I played 16" for one year in the financial league at Grant Park. I hated it. I know that is sacrilegious in Chicago, but too damned bad. Now put some ketchup on my hot dog and leave me alone.

Agree about ketchup, disagree about hating 16".

:D

I liked 12" when I played it because it felt more like baseball, but I grew up with 16" so it's always my favorite version of softball.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 26, 2012 -> 12:48 AM)
I liked both games, but 16" was always way more challenging IMO because you don't have a glove to help you.

In the leagues I played in we had a bunch of guys who could crush a 16" ball - we had guys going 250' or more the opposite way.

The weirdest tournament I played in was a 16" tourney with gloves allowed. Half the guys refused the gloves because they weren't used to playing that way.

So people dont wear gloves when playing 16" softball?

I have no idea because I havent played in a softball game since PE in 7th grade.

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (zenryan @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
So people dont wear gloves when playing 16" softball?

I have no idea because I havent played in a softball game since PE in 7th grade.

Nope, no gloves in 16". Some longtime players end up with some fugly fingers