Slow pitch softball thread

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 26, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
I don't understand how a glove is even all that useful when playing 16 inch.

I made a couple diving catches down the RF line in the 16" gloves tournament I played in - catches I absolutely would not have made without the glove.

Still, though, it felt really weird to play a 16" game with a glove.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a triple and 2 doubles in my last game. Haha. I LOVE when the batters box is flat, because I really helps me smash the ball to right CF. I hit every ball there, and all of them made it to the fence. If I was fast, it would have been 3 triples easily. Then I come up with the walk off slaughter run on 3rd, and I smash one to RCF again, but the outfielder makes a great diving catch. We ended up winning 15-6, but I really wanted that walk off! Damn!

AVG up to .682 this year.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (The Critic @ Jun 29, 2012 -> 03:57 AM)
2 strikeouts per inning in slow pitch???

Those guys should really think about another hobby.

We count foul-outs at strikeouts. Of those 10 Ks, I would say 4 or 5 of them were foul-outs. But the wind was really whipping, so I was throwing my pitch at people's head, and the wind would push it back in to the zone.

I had one K I actually felt really bad about. I tossed it behind the girl's head. She turned away from it, and the wind moved it about 5-6 feet, right in the zone. It was so dirty I actually started laughing as I saw the wind push it over. I credit the wind to my awesome night.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 02:43 AM)
Someone broke in to my car last night, among valuable electronics, they stole my softball bat. f***ers. Now I'm screwed.

Pieces of s***. A good, reliable bat isn't always easy to find. I hope you can find another bat you like.

Back in '85 I had my car stolen from in front of my house.

I had all of my goalie equipment in the car - I was more upset about losing that than I was of losing the car.

I had debated bringing the stuff in when I got home from my game, but I was exhausted and decided I would bring it in the next morning.

Still kick myself about that when I think about it.

I played with a guy who bought a couple DeMarini's for himself and I had to laugh.

Kid couldn't hit the ball out of the infield and he's dropping cash on triple-walled bats.

I told him "it ain't the bat, it's the batter - if you're good it don't matter". :lolhitting

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
I played with a guy who bought a couple DeMarini's for himself and I had to laugh.

Kid couldn't hit the ball out of the infield and he's dropping cash on triple-walled bats.

I told him "it ain't the bat, it's the batter - if you're good it don't matter". :lolhitting

Right, which is why I figure I can probably grab any old bat and be fine with it. My game is hitting linedrives to RCF, not hitting HR. I only swing about 80% as hard as I would if I was trying to hit a HR, so no point in me buying a powerful bat.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't play for a little over a month, with the arrival of a new kid. Got back to it this week, was worried about being rusty... had my best hitting game of the year: double, triple, single*, walk. The double hit the fence, I was about 4 feet short of a HR.

Hilarious moment though... the other team's best player is their left fielder, huge bat and seemed to be very good defensively. My asterisk-single... I hit a line drive that was headed down the line, but he managed to cut it off, so I stopped after a big turn past 1B... then, inexplicably, when he went to throw the ball in, it must have slipped out because his throw looped out of his hands towards the 3B line fence (he was trying to throw to 2B) and went bouncing into no man's land. Ended up on third. I could almost call that another triple, but, that would be pretty cheap.

We had a new guy play with us last night, who is an ex college baseball player. I dont think he could have had a worst first impression if he tried. Because he had an incredible arm he refused to throw to a cutoff, ended up(from RCF) throwing the ball into the 3rd base dugout 3 times, dropped one ball, tried to ballfake a ball that dropped in front of him by 15 feet, got burnt on a flyball near the fence by coming in first, got in a pickle between 2nd an 3rd and got picked off, and to top it all off in anger he threw his glove in the air, and it ended up going over the fence and stopped the game for a few minutes while he ran around the fence to go get it. He hit ok, he hit a homer and single, but he got picked off, so it kind of mitigated the single.

Oh, AND he locked his keys in his car with his lights on.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
We had a new guy play with us last night, who is an ex college baseball player. I dont think he could have had a worst first impression if he tried. Because he had an incredible arm he refused to throw to a cutoff, ended up(from RCF) throwing the ball into the 3rd base dugout 3 times, dropped one ball, tried to ballfake a ball that dropped in front of him by 15 feet, got burnt on a flyball near the fence by coming in first, got in a pickle between 2nd an 3rd and got picked off, and to top it all off in anger he threw his glove in the air, and it ended up going over the fence and stopped the game for a few minutes while he ran around the fence to go get it. He hit ok, he hit a homer and single, but he got picked off, so it kind of mitigated the single.

Oh, AND he locked his keys in his car with his lights on.

Talk about trying too hard...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Talk about trying too hard...

you arent kidding. And it was insanely obvious. We were just like "come on man, relax. this is softball, just have fun"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
you arent kidding. And it was insanely obvious. We were just like "come on man, relax. this is softball, just have fun"

Give him a couple of games. It is tough when you have to make the step from ultra competitive baseball, to any level of softball.

I have seen a lot of guys come in from playing college ball and suck defensively. The ball comes off the bat differently, and they often get burned by flyballs over their head.

So anyway, without my bat, I am so lost at the plate. I think it's more mental than anything else, but I was 1/3 last week, and was 0/2 yesterday. My average has dropped from .708 down to .621. :(

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
Right, which is why I figure I can probably grab any old bat and be fine with it. My game is hitting linedrives to RCF, not hitting HR. I only swing about 80% as hard as I would if I was trying to hit a HR, so no point in me buying a powerful bat.

I have 2 bats I use, a nice powered one and an almost dead Worth (my primary). Its incredible for line drives for singles which I stretch into doubles. Huge sweet spot with zero pop.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
I have seen a lot of guys come in from playing college ball and suck defensively. The ball comes off the bat differently, and they often get burned by flyballs over their head.

So anyway, without my bat, I am so lost at the plate. I think it's more mental than anything else, but I was 1/3 last week, and was 0/2 yesterday. My average has dropped from .708 down to .621. :(

its in your head

• 4 weeks later...

Fun reading through this thread. I played 12" inch for a few years in my late 40's to 50 until RA forced me to retire. I miss it. I was a starting 1st baseman for our team. Our team went from sucky to pretty good over the 2 years I played. The infielders loved me because I'm so tall and I could pick those low throws in the dirt. Good thing about playing in California is you can play year round. The new composite type bats really amazed me. I could hit a ball farther at 50 with these bats than I could at 25. Surprised there hasn't been any posting in this thread for a while since it's gotta be softball season in Chicago now.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 9, 2012 -> 10:41 PM)
Fun reading through this thread. I played 12" inch for a few years in my late 40's to 50 until RA forced me to retire. I miss it. I was a starting 1st baseman for our team. Our team went from sucky to pretty good over the 2 years I played. The infielders loved me because I'm so tall and I could pick those low throws in the dirt. Good thing about playing in California is you can play year round. The new composite type bats really amazed me. I could hit a ball farther at 50 with these bats than I could at 25. Surprised there hasn't been any posting in this thread for a while since it's gotta be softball season in Chicago now.

Just finishing up summer leagues now. Went undefeated in a co-ed 16in league for the title, lost in the first round in another and 12 in is starting playoffs next week.

I had an unassisted triple play a couple of weeks ago at SS, f***ing awesome. Right after I released my throw to 1st I just turned and ran to the bench without looking.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2012 -> 10:57 AM)
Just finishing up summer leagues now. Went undefeated in a co-ed 16in league for the title, lost in the first round in another and 12 in is starting playoffs next week.

I had an unassisted triple play a couple of weeks ago at SS, f***ing awesome. Right after I released my throw to 1st I just turned and ran to the bench without looking.

How was it unassisted if you threw to first?