Slow pitch softball thread

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 11:26 AM)
Pretty standard in softball, 10 men can play the field and 2 EH allowed.

We do the same sometimes. I'm an above average 1B but they used me as an extra hitter last Thurs to let this old guy play the field for once. That's why I sucked. I didn't feel into the game at all just batting.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 02:20 PM)
I have never played league 16", so I don't know if rules are different.

I played league and tournament 12" and 16" and we never had a second EH. Again, I've been gone for 7 or 8 years, so I'm not up on any recent changes, and this sounds like it could be a recent change. If there was a second EH I may have stayed around a while longer, LOL. (although I hated EHing, I never felt like I was in the game when I EH'd.)

So I almost got my head taken off yesterday.

I was playing catcher and the throw was a bit up the line. The runner coming home literally plowed his arms into my temple. I thought he wasn't even near me when I tried to go catch the ball, so I wasn't bracing for anything. I blacked out for a good 5 seconds. What really pissed me off was that the other team didn't seem to even care. Nobody apologized. In fact, when I got up, extremely pissed off, and asked who hit me, they barely acknowledged my question and acted like nothing happened.

It's freaking slow pitch softball, not football. Injuring someone is not worth it, especially when it's a head/neck injury.

Apparently, I was occupying the base line (hard to tell since the infield was barely lined) and it was a bang-bang play. Still, there's absolutely no need to plow shoulder first into someone's head. They don't even allow that in professional football.

We ended up winning and getting 3rd in the tournament, but I was nowhere near the same after the hit. I was 2-3 before it, 2-7 afterwards. Now I'm going to have to deal with neck and jaw pain for the next week. I think I'm done with USSSA tournaments for a while. People take that s*** way too seriously for what it actually is.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
I played league and tournament 12" and 16" and we never had a second EH. Again, I've been gone for 7 or 8 years, so I'm not up on any recent changes, and this sounds like it could be a recent change. If there was a second EH I may have stayed around a while longer, LOL. (although I hated EHing, I never felt like I was in the game when I EH'd.)

Honestly I have been playing 12" since I turned 18(18 years now damn!), and there has always been a second EH option wherever I played. I have played in Batavia, Carbondale, Arlington Heights and various tournaments in Carol Stream and Roselle.

It's an option, maybe the teams you played on just never used it

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
So I almost got my head taken off yesterday.

I was playing catcher and the throw was a bit up the line. The runner coming home literally plowed his arms into my temple. I thought he wasn't even near me when I tried to go catch the ball, so I wasn't bracing for anything. I blacked out for a good 5 seconds. What really pissed me off was that the other team didn't seem to even care. Nobody apologized. In fact, when I got up, extremely pissed off, and asked who hit me, they barely acknowledged my question and acted like nothing happened.

It's freaking slow pitch softball, not football. Injuring someone is not worth it, especially when it's a head/neck injury.

Apparently, I was occupying the base line (hard to tell since the infield was barely lined) and it was a bang-bang play. Still, there's absolutely no need to plow shoulder first into someone's head. They don't even allow that in professional football.

We ended up winning and getting 3rd in the tournament, but I was nowhere near the same after the hit. I was 2-3 before it, 2-7 afterwards. Now I'm going to have to deal with neck and jaw pain for the next week. I think I'm done with USSSA tournaments for a while. People take that s*** way too seriously for what it actually is.

That is automatic ejection in our league. They don't allow contact, we even have a safety bag at first

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 06:43 AM)
That is automatic ejection in our league. They don't allow contact, we even have a safety bag at first

Same here. Along with throwing bats.

It seems pitchers are sensitive to batters hitting up the middle in our league. I don't do it unless I have no choice but to try it but some pitchers feel like every batter should apologize for going up the middle. If we are up a lot, we don't do it.

We were getting killed one game and the other team kept hitting it hard back at our pitcher and we were getting pissed. They kept saying that's how they play but when you're up 15 in the 5th, I don't see a need for it. Try and hit it elsewhere.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)

It seems pitchers are sensitive to batters hitting up the middle in our league. I don't do it unless I have no choice but to try it but some pitchers feel like every batter should apologize for going up the middle. If we are up a lot, we don't do it.

We were getting killed one game and the other team kept hitting it hard back at our pitcher and we were getting pissed. They kept saying that's how they play but when you're up 15 in the 5th, I don't see a need for it. Try and hit it elsewhere.

"hitting box" is weird. I am not a good enough hitter to place it like that at any time, but i do go up the middle naturally. If I almost or do hit a pitcher i will apologize, but not if it is merely near him, which a lot of players do.

It is a big disrespect thing in tourneys though. I know that

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 06:57 AM)

Teams complaining about hitting middle once or twice annoys the hell out of me. It's not like everyone can control where they hit the ball.

One of the teams we played on Saturday got pissed at us because we hit one off their pitcher's foot. I mean, this was a shot, but it clearly wasn't intentional (we apologized right after). We then hit a grounder up the middle that bounced and the pitcher couldn't handle. We got two of our bats taken away because the pitcher couldn't handle the ball or get out of the way. So they then take the next two innings aiming at our pitcher. They had guys who would wind up and act like they're going to hit the s*** out of the ball right up the middle. Talking about how they need to get us back for those two we hit up the middle.

Seriously, stop acting like you're 5. We didn't do it on purpose, but once you start doing it on purpose, you're the ones at fault.

Edited by chw42

Ha I've almost been in a few fights playing softball because of people being morons both on my team and other teams. I'm as competitive as anyone but it's freaking rec league softball, have fun and don't be dumb.

Edited by Rowand44

Softball Thursday woot woot

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
I am subbing in a pretty serious 16" league tonight for a double header. I have never played other than in gym class in high school which was a joke. I was a varsity high school baseball player so I am not worried about keeping up but is there any little nuances or rule differences that a beginner would miss? And as far as the swing, does your swing vary from the traditional baseball swing?

Thanks in advance!!

Just concentrate on hitting it square. Mis-hit 16" balls don't go very far ;)

I am subbing in a pretty serious 16" league tonight for a double header. I have never played other than in gym class in high school which was a joke. I was a varsity high school baseball player so I am not worried about keeping up but is there any little nuances or rule differences that a beginner would miss? And as far as the swing, does your swing vary from the traditional baseball swing?

Thanks in advance!!

The swing is what you want to make it. The key difference is the game is really slow. Like superslow. The worst thing you can do is play it at a baseball pace.

Thanks in advance!!

So how did it go?

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a practice last Tuesday for this tournament I'm playing in, and what I've learned is my knee hates me.

The first time I went to my left for a grounder between 3B and SS, my knee kind of gave out and it hasn't been right since.

Of course, I kept playing and finished the practice, because I'm a moron.

The knee feels a little better every day, but I can't bend it fully, so that's inconvenient.

I still plan on playing. I'm just going to slap a compression sleeve on it and go from there. I have another practice next Tuesday, so we'll see how it goes.

My hitting was good, although not much power (which I'm also blaming on my knee, since it's my plant leg when I swing).

Bottom line.....it sucks getting old.

Well, I played yesterday and I'm still alive!

My team won one and lost one. The funny thing is, the way the bracket played out, if we had won the second game we'd have had a bye to the title game.

I got a couple hits, including a triple(!??!?!?!) - I was BEGGING for the stop sign when I got to second, LOL.

My running was a struggle because of my bum right knee, but my defense at 3B was pretty solid. I threw better than I expected to.

All told, it was a fun day, and my team is going to get into another tournament or two this year, so I'm excited to be sort of back.

Just finished our third season, our record so far is 6-24

We went from giving up 20+ runs a game to about 13-15 now but we are only scoring like 6 runs a game and were not going to beat anyone hitting like that. Almost hit one out today, hit the base of the fence in the air but I slipped on first base and was held to a double.

Won 3 in a row to win the championship. He played the 3 teams that beat us during regular season and ripped all of them. Including the team in the title game who beat us by 20 before.

Pitcher was frustrated and got pissed at me cuz I hit up the box, accidentally, twice. I apologized like 10 times and just stared me down. Should've told him I could just try for the hat trick next time. And the 2nd one wasn't even up the box. He stuck his glove out to try and stop it. Otherwise it wasn't close.

The first I ripped right at him when I was trying for right field though.

• 1 month later...