Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 23, 2014 -> 04:54 PM)
Bad baserunning, and not hitting the cutoff man on defense. In my men's league it's hit or miss, but in the co-ed leagues I do sometimes, any hit to the OF is an automatic double because I just watch the throw and take off rounding 1st. It's rarely ever thrown in timely, or to the right person. In my men's league, you can usually swipe 2nd on throws home because everyone wants to be the OF hero who guns a guy out at home, so I take 2B on those throws every time.

lol you sound like Hawk.

But yes, it is very important to hit the cut-off man. Overthrows and throwing it around the infield like idiots annoys me to no end.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were undefeated and playing the team who hasn't won a game in the last regular season game. We went in all cocky and the other team brought different players than the rest of the season. We were down 10-0 after 1, but ended up winning 35-20 after not scoring in the first.

I hit two off the fence.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 6, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Would your championship be in December? Sounds like this was planned awfully.

A couple of rainouts didn't help. We'll play two next week to win the league.

But yes, the guy who runs it lacks creativity and changing on the fly.

We're undefeated playing the winless team and if we lose, I wouldn't mind. I'm kinda over softball for the year. We don't get anything for winning playoffs, just regular season, so f it.

Edited by Brian

Wouldn't have been so bad if there was no wind, but yikes. Ball was going nowhere and we only won by 8.

Semifinals and finals next week but we're missing our pitcher and another one of our best players so will be tough. We already won the money but want to finish the undefeated season and not want the team that beats us to think they deserved it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 05:17 AM)
Wouldn't have been so bad if there was no wind, but yikes. Ball was going nowhere and we only won by 8.

Semifinals and finals next week but we're missing our pitcher and another one of our best players so will be tough. We already won the money but want to finish the undefeated season and not want the team that beats us to think they deserved it.

So you win money for the season, but there is no tournament/playoffs money? thats pretty ridiculous

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 7, 2014 -> 09:04 AM)
So you win money for the season, but there is no tournament/playoffs money? thats pretty ridiculous

They used to give shirts but teams started filling their rosters with guys who would only show up for playoffs. It's actually not bad.

QUOTE (TRU @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
So I hit my first home run tonight, it was a bomb to left center and cleared the fence by 15-20 feet. It was also the out that ended the game because our manager didn't ask for home runs at the coin toss.

How does that work...?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
How does that work...?

Basically you have to agree to home runs at the coin toss or they are outs. Usually they agree to one and one, which means each team can only hit one, after that one they become outs.

QUOTE (TRU @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
Basically you have to agree to home runs at the coin toss or they are outs. Usually they agree to one and one, which means each team can only hit one, after that one they become outs.

Why don't you just agree to it everytime? It doesn't seem to do you any good to disallow them, especially in your league where it seems like they aren't easy to come by

We won our first co-ed tournament today. It was in the 40s and misting/drizzling the whole time. I made it worse by sliding for a ball at the fence, then hitting my knee and shin on said fence.

I did have the walk-off hit in that game though, so I had that going for me.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 14, 2014 -> 10:59 PM)
Why don't you just agree to it everytime? It doesn't seem to do you any good to disallow them, especially in your league where it seems like they aren't easy to come by

I was suppose to do the coin toss, but had to go find someone to play with us since one of our people were late. While I was doing that, the ump called someone else over to do it because they were cold and wanted to start the game and they didnt know what to do.

• 4 months later...

bump.gif

I'm supposed to join a Thursday night league in a few weeks. It will be the first time I've played in any kind of organized league since HS.

Other than helping out at my daughter's practices, playing around a bit in an empty field or hitting in a batting cage a handful of times I haven't really done much baseball activity in the last 20 years. So it should be interesting.

Got email this week we start at the end of April. I'm not really excited about it. Maybe stress at current job that is sucking the life outta me is a factor.

May just be an alternate. Maybe my tune will change.

I've been locked in this week. Hit 3 homers on Tuesday (2 didn't count since it's 1 HR). Went 4-5 yesterday and almost hit for the cycle today (came 10 feet short of a HR in last PA).

Believe it or not, I decided to mimic Jose Abreu's stance and moved up in the box. It's been working wonders. I'm keeping my hands back and I'm absolutely right on the ball. When in doubt, study the best hitters in baseball. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Spring season finally began for us. Last night i hit a shot past the right fielder and as i was rounding first i blew out my cleats, that was a first. On my instep the shoe tore open pretty much from toe to heel. I ended up with a triple but i would have had a homer easy if that didnt happen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:31 AM)
Spring season finally began for us. Last night i hit a shot past the right fielder and as i was rounding first i blew out my cleats, that was a first. On my instep the shoe tore open pretty much from toe to heel. I ended up with a triple but i would have had a homer easy if that didnt happen

Lol, I've done that before but in basketball. I tried to cut to the ball and my entire foot comes out of my shoe.

I joined a men's league baseball team ages ranging from 22-50 on my team lol. First game this Sunday, we'll see how it goes.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 17, 2015 -> 07:41 AM)
Lol, I've done that before but in basketball. I tried to cut to the ball and my entire foot comes out of my shoe.

I joined a men's league baseball team ages ranging from 22-50 on my team lol. First game this Sunday, we'll see how it goes.

Midwest league?