Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
So I'm playing in my first league ever this year, my department is putting together a team and we're signing up for Buffalo Grove's "C" league. I'm curious to find out how good I'll be considering I haven't played much softball at all and haven't played baseball much since my senior season in HS (so about 5 years).

That said, I'm stoked to be playing again plus I have a ton of upper management playing on the team to network with :)

The hardest thing is slowing the tempo down to slow pitch softball. It usually takes a year or two.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 08:09 AM)
So I'm playing in my first league ever this year, my department is putting together a team and we're signing up for Buffalo Grove's "C" league. I'm curious to find out how good I'll be considering I haven't played much softball at all and haven't played baseball much since my senior season in HS (so about 5 years).

That said, I'm stoked to be playing again plus I have a ton of upper management playing on the team to network with :)

The hardest thing is slowing the tempo down to slow pitch softball. It usually takes a year or two.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 10:58 AM)

Agreed. My suggestion is to go to the cages a few times before the season starts to adjust. Just try and hit the ball right back at the machine, don't try and kill it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Agreed. My suggestion is to go to the cages a few times before the season starts to adjust. Just try and hit the ball right back at the machine, don't try and kill it.

Take as many swings as you can in practices and the like. I'd say to concentrate more on going the other way to start, just to get you into the "wait for it" mindset.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 11:06 AM)
Take as many swings as you can in practices and the like. I'd say to concentrate more on going the other way to start, just to get you into the "wait for it" mindset.

I may have to go to a batting cage, I was always an oppo line drive hitter in HS but I'll want to get the timing down again.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
I may have to go to a batting cage, I was always an oppo line drive hitter in HS but I'll want to get the timing down again.

Theballparkmp.com is where I went on Saturday. It is in mount prospect at the intersection of Northwest Hwy and Central road.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 10, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)

Most people go in with the mentality that they are going to kill the ball, which is the wrong mentality coming from baseball. Especially with the bats these days, you don't need to swing 100%. Concentrate on slowing it down, and centering the bat on the ball. The bat will do the rest.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 27, 2013 -> 04:49 AM)
I have a "one-game contract" with a friend's team scheduled for June, after I turn 50.

The Minnie Minoso Tour begins in 2013! Next stop, 2023!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gordie Howe of softball. Play in every decade!

• 3 weeks later...

We got to play in the storm on Tuesday, that was a blast. My hitting is so much better this year than it has been in past years, hopefully that keeps up.

My Tuesday team is pretty awesome, my Sunday team is quite average. Both real fun though.