Slow pitch softball thread

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Brian @ May 24, 2013 -> 04:12 PM)
I wish I could hit homers. It annoys me that I can't.

I didnt hit homers for the first 10 years I played. Now I will hit between 2 and 6 a season. I think maybe it was moving to a different league that didnt use the flight resistant balls

Had a minor surgical procedure, and now I can't play for ATLEAST 2 weeks. Our team is very much a recreational team, but it still blows, especially since I'm the coach and I want to show them how awesome I am at playing softball (even though I am not awesome).

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 24, 2013 -> 04:38 PM)
Had a minor surgical procedure, and now I can't play for ATLEAST 2 weeks. Our team is very much a recreational team, but it still blows, especially since I'm the coach and I want to show them how awesome I am at playing softball (even though I am not awesome).

At least you can still set that glorious lineup.

Random but kind of cool story. A buddy of mine from HS who used to play softball with us moved to North Carolina last year. Saw him at a wedding on Saturday and was talking about softball and he said he's currently playing in a league down there and Ray Durham is on one of the other teams. Pretty neat.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 28, 2013 -> 07:21 AM)
Random but kind of cool story. A buddy of mine from HS who used to play softball with us moved to North Carolina last year. Saw him at a wedding on Saturday and was talking about softball and he said he's currently playing in a league down there and Ray Durham is on one of the other teams. Pretty neat.

LOL, i bet he is unstoppable. I remember back in the 90s I read a story about Cory Snyder joining a 12 inch team when he retired, and hit something like 78 homeruns in a 15-20 game schedule.

There is a tournament team in our park called the Shockers, and they have an "A" team that shows up for playoffs, and it is full of ex college players. It just isnt fair playing against those guys. My team went 9-1 in the season and lost to their "B" team by 10 runs in the season, and we played their "A" team in the playoffs and lost 40-2, called in the 2nd inning. And after they got 20 runs they stopped taking extra bases.

shellACKED

The league we play in is a rec league that can be competitive at times, but some teams pick up ringers who just don't belong playing and it takes the fun out of it. That's when it becomes competitive.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 28, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
LOL, i bet he is unstoppable. I remember back in the 90s I read a story about Cory Snyder joining a 12 inch team when he retired, and hit something like 78 homeruns in a 15-20 game schedule.

There is a tournament team in our park called the Shockers, and they have an "A" team that shows up for playoffs, and it is full of ex college players. It just isnt fair playing against those guys. My team went 9-1 in the season and lost to their "B" team by 10 runs in the season, and we played their "A" team in the playoffs and lost 40-2, called in the 2nd inning. And after they got 20 runs they stopped taking extra bases.

shellACKED

I actually asked how he was and he said he was flawless at SS and "he just hits lasers off the wall every time". I guess there is a 2 HR per game limit in the league (300 foot fences)

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 28, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)

shellACKED

We used Neal Cotts in a charity softball tourney, good athlete, not the best hitter.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Our pitcher and back up pitcher are both out today so I get to making my pitching debut in about 3 hrs here. Prolly throw a perfect game.

dont forget your cup

shellACKED

Maybe you guys shouldn't have sucked and had some pride.

shellACKED

Forgive me if I've told this story here before, but it fits the topic:

I played in a work tournament in St. Louis for a few years in the 80's and one of the teams was stocked with these giant no-neck monsters like you see on those softball shows on CSN. These guys were all 6'3" and 240 but were fast as hell. Just genetic freaks.

Anyway, we had a pretty good team (top 3 in this tournament every year) but these guys beat the hell out of us every time. One time, they batted around twice before we recorded one out. They replaced their entire team in the 2nd inning and we still lost 30-3. Our own girlfriends and wives were laughing at us and we couldn't blame them.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 28, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Maybe you guys shouldn't have sucked and had some pride.

They snuffed out our pride before we even got to hit. It was a hitting clinic, they hit it everywhere we werent. We didnt drop any balls or anything, it was just college players vs regular joes

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 28, 2013 -> 03:37 PM)
Our pitcher and back up pitcher are both out today so I get to making my pitching debut in about 3 hrs here. Prolly throw a perfect game.

Worst position on the field. You'll never see me pitch. I hate it.

QUOTE (The Critic @ May 28, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
Forgive me if I've told this story here before, but it fits the topic:

I played in a work tournament in St. Louis for a few years in the 80's and one of the teams was stocked with these giant no-neck monsters like you see on those softball shows on CSN. These guys were all 6'3" and 240 but were fast as hell. Just genetic freaks.

Anyway, we had a pretty good team (top 3 in this tournament every year) but these guys beat the hell out of us every time. One time, they batted around twice before we recorded one out. They replaced their entire team in the 2nd inning and we still lost 30-3. Our own girlfriends and wives were laughing at us and we couldn't blame them.

Those types of guys are in the 10 HR an inning limit leagues for 12 inch, and its NOT fun. They usually have a guy that can pitch too which sucks even more.

After this season I am retiring in 12 in and moving my game permanently to 16in.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2013 -> 07:05 PM)
Worst position on the field. You'll never see me pitch. I hate it.

I actually enjoyed it. Not something I'd want to do every game as I love playing lf and 3b but for a game it was cool. We won in extras too so 1 and 0!

I enjoy pitching when I played in a co-ed league the last few summers, where guys had to use t-ball bats. I could strike out 3-7 batters a game, field 5-6 balls a game, snag a few line drives. But in my men's league, I'd ship my pants pitching. Those guys hit A-bombs and I'd close my eyes and turn my face on any ball hit up the middle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2013 -> 07:07 PM)
Those types of guys are in the 10 HR an inning limit leagues for 12 inch, and its NOT fun. They usually have a guy that can pitch too which sucks even more.

After this season I am retiring in 12 in and moving my game permanently to 16in.

Yeah, this was a 12" tournament, and they had a 5-bomb limit. These guys hit their 5 bombs in the first inning and then had to struggle to keep the ball in the park.

I was playing 3B (lucky me!) and one guy hit a ball that I heard go whistling by but never saw. One foot to the right and I'd have been on my way to the ER.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 29, 2013 -> 12:25 AM)
I enjoy pitching when I played in a co-ed league the last few summers, where guys had to use t-ball bats. I could strike out 3-7 batters a game, field 5-6 balls a game, snag a few line drives. But in my men's league, I'd ship my pants pitching. Those guys hit A-bombs and I'd close my eyes and turn my face on any ball hit up the middle.

I'd walk in 20 runs. I hate that position.

What's this t-ball bat league all about?