GT 5-13-12 Sox vs Royals, 1:10pm

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Dunn, Konerko, and AJ are sitting there with OPS's very close to their career numbers. Rios is sitting at .733 which is respectable but ideally .800-ish is good for him.

Then, we have 4 guys in our lineup at about .600 or below. And our bench has effectively given us nothing.

So, again, we've got a couple guys performing slightly above their career trend, then 1/2 our lineup performing poorly enough that you'd expect them to have to improve just by regression. So it's very true...whatever inexcusable stat you want to point to, it's truly inexcusable...but yet, we're still sitting just slightly below average in the AL in offense.

Except AJ's regressing to his mean, and can we really expect DeAza to consistently put up 825-900 OPS numbers?

It all depends on Beckham, Viciedo and Ramirez, because Morel's back issues are probably going to keep him from developing any degree of consistency offensively...assuming he stays on the major league roster.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
They were 8th in average, 7th in OPS and 11 th in the AL in runs last year. Looks like they are about where they should be.

Hey, if we can trade away an all star, cut back $25 million in salary, and still wind up performing at the same level, that's actually not a bad place to be. That means we got the same level of performance while saving money, so if we add in money to fill holes, then we could be back in a place where competing is possible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2012 -> 03:15 PM)
They were 8th in average, 7th in OPS and 11 th in the AL in runs last year. Looks like they are about where they should be.

Not with Dunn, Rios and Beckham having 3 of the most god-awful (historical and based on career results coming in) seasons for their positions offensively, and Morel not far behind for 3B except for the final 6 weeks when the Sox were already well out of the playoff hunt.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Except AJ's regressing to his mean, and can we really expect DeAza to consistently put up 825-900 OPS numbers?

It all depends on Beckham, Viciedo and Ramirez, because Morel's back issues are probably going to keep him from developing any degree of consistency offensively...assuming he stays on the major league roster.

AJ right now is right where he should be, mid - .700's OPS, which is what you expect from him over a full season.

De Aza is not putting up .825-.900 OPS numbers, he's putting up an .800 OPS, which is exactly what I was predicting/hoping he'd do coming in to this season.

The only 2 guys who really are "overperforming" in this lineup are Dunn and Konerko, and both of them only slightly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)
AJ right now is right where he should be, mid - .700's OPS, which is what you expect from him over a full season.

De Aza is not putting up .825-.900 OPS numbers, he's putting up an .800 OPS, which is exactly what I was predicting/hoping he'd do coming in to this season.

The only 2 guys who really are "overperforming" in this lineup are Dunn and Konerko, and both of them only slightly.

Okay, a day or two ago, DeAza was at 830.

The problem is DeAza's cost us quite a few bases and runs defensively as well, nullifying some of his offensive production.

The one glaring difference though, is subbing out Quentin's numbers for Viciedo's, and how bad Morel has been. The improvement from Dunn and Rios has pretty much been nullified by the two Cubans sucking and Morel.

Because Beckham's sadly enough still hitting for a better OPS than he did last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Okay, a day or two ago, DeAza was at 830.

The problem is DeAza's cost us quite a few bases and runs defensively as well, nullifying some of his offensive production.

The one glaring difference though, is subbing out Quentin's numbers for Viciedo's, and how bad Morel has been. The improvement from Dunn and Rios has pretty much been nullified by the two Cubans sucking and Morel.

Because Beckham's sadly enough still hitting for a better OPS than he did last year.

De Aza has been much better defensively as of late.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 13, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
His saber stats so far this year are above average.

And that means what?

Just like Rios in 2011, DeAza has been pretty bad overall in CF defensively. He has better range and closing/make-up speed than Rios, but he's been far from an average MLB CFer to the "eye test."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
And that means what?

Just like Rios in 2011, DeAza has been pretty bad overall in CF defensively. He has better range and closing/make-up speed than Rios, but he's been far from an average MLB CFer to the "eye test."

With De Aza though, this is the first time he's played in any of these ballparks. He's effectively a rookie even if he's an old rookie. We're playing 2 rookie OF's. Some mistakes are to be expected. They need to improve long term, and hopefully they will.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 13, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
And that means what?

It means he's doing better than you think.

Sorry guys its my fault for picking up Reed on my fantasy team....I picked up Santiago, he then proceeded to lose the closers spot. Then I picked up Thornton when his ERA was under 1, now its above 4. Then when I found out Sale was going back to the rotation I knew it was FINALLY gonna be time for Reed to be the man, then he does this.

Was at the game today and was thinking about the attendance and this team. What does this team remind you of? "The kids can play?"

Here's to hoping attendance averages 20,000, some of these pitching prospects pan out and they find a replacement for when Konerko is retired. This team has to decide what their identity will be...seems like they can only win if there's a home run involved. Too many men left on base today.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ May 13, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
And the Angels. And the A's. And the Yankees. And the Red Sox.

Royals now 10-5 since ending their 12-game losing streak.

Sox will catch the Twins this year - no question about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:19 PM)
You're not out, that'd make you 19x in, because you'd get to gloat, and that's what you're waiting for.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 13, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
Sure is...I don't know what their problem is at home...it's disgusting

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 13, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
Just got back from the game.

The white sox offense will keep them from winning anything.

1. I meant out for today. Luckily I left that horrible baseball game to do something else. Why do I want to gloat? I want the team to win. I bought the f***ing MLB package again this year with the hopes the Sox would win. Little did I know Dunn would improve, Rios would actually do some positive things and Peavy would excel and the team STILL would stink.

2.) The problem is the Sox have a very bad baseball team when the team is not hitting home runs. Very very bad.

3.) Very true. Should be interesting to see if the team is out of it by the end of May. What was the mood at the stadium, Chappas? When they booed Thornton were they booing him or the team in general?

Edited by greg775