Sox sign Orlando Hudson

flavum

ODog is toast, but look at it this way, who would you rather have play 3B for an extended period, Escobar, Dan Johnson or Hudson? I think most sane people not related to the first 2 choices would go with Hudson.

I don't understand the White Sox organization's love affair with Escobar. Danks looks better than him at the plate.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 20, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
A little better? This is a guy who seemed content to pop it up to the first baseman during April. He has 3 homers this month, could have easily had 2 more, and has hit numerous line drives right at the right fielder.

He's gone from seemingly just happy to make contact, to expecting to hit the ball hard.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
They're not going to bring in Orlando Hudson to sit behind Brent Lillibridge or Eduardo Escobar.

KW wouldn't have signed him with the promise to sit him on the bench.

100% he said 3B is yours as long as you produce something at least halfway decent...that Morel will be either on the DL or assigned to Charlotte for an extended period of time and that they're 100% back into "win now" mode for 2012.

They are not back into win now mode for 2012 just because they signed Hudson. They literally have nobody that can play the position at a near MLB level. If Morel were healthy, he'd still be playing every day.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 20, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)
ODog is toast, but look at it this way, who would you rather have play 3B for an extended period, Escobar, Dan Johnson or Hudson? I think most sane people not related to the first 2 choices would go with Hudson.

I don't understand the White Sox organization's love affair with Escobar. Danks looks better than him at the plate.

Escobar shouldn't be on the major league roster IMO. He's a good, not great defensive player who can't hit. His defense is a luxury that we can't afford with a four man bench. I'm hoping that once/if Morel is healthy we send down Escobar and keep Hudson as the backup infielder. For now, I have no problem giving Hudson a trial run at 3B. Even below average production from his bat would be a significant upgrade from what we've getting from Morel and Escobar.

I'd say Escobar looks good at the plate until he finally hits in play. His at bats are a joy compared to a Brent Morel at bat. He doesn't swing at complete bulls***, has an approach that is anti-strikeout, and swings aggressively. He just hasn't hit much, unfortunately, and righties have really found his hole -- slider down and in.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 20, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Ventura said Hudson shall be in Chicago on Tuesday, will back up Gordon at 2B and play 3B when/if Morel goes to DL.

Beckham will still bat 2nd.

Thank you.

Translation:

Orlando Hudson is Brent Morel's replacement

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
Nothing Brent Morel has done at the MLB level has convinced me he'll be a good major league ballplayer. He's had what, 800 at bats now? Not much production in there. If he has been hurt for over a year now, it seems unlikely he'll get healthy.

Except the last month of last year where he crushed it. Then this spring where he started off strong again, only to have a back injury which has obliterated his swing.

* I don't know that to be the case. If the back injury really happened within the last week or 2, then okay, he did suck for a month on his own, but it seems that wasn't the case.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Except the last month of last year where he crushed it. Then this spring where he started off strong again, only to have a back injury which has obliterated his swing.

* I don't know that to be the case. If the back injury really happened within the last week or 2, then okay, he did suck for a month on his own, but it seems that wasn't the case.

At this point, I'm just gonna have to chalk it up to competition. The worst part is during that month he still batted .224 (in before OPS omgzors!). I just don't see anything real encouraging as far as production and I don't see him as a particularly high upside player that deserves a bunch of chances. If I'm running the team, he has to put up some impressive numbers in the minors before I'm going to embarrass the two of us by having him on the Sox again.

QUOTE (Cali @ May 20, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Bit of an odd signing if only for the fact that O-Dog seems like one of those "Clubhouse Personalities" that don't mesh in the Sox world. A guy like Swish...

I think that is a thing of the Ozzie era

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 20, 2012 -> 03:38 PM)
FWIW my friend says he met ODawg and said he was an asshole.

sounds like your friend is a racist

:lolhitting

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12657214-41...kely-to-dl.html

Morel to be DL'ed Tuesday, Hudson likely to start at 3rd.

Beckham won't change positions and will stay second in the batting order, Hudson would likely hit 8th or 9th.

Hudson then primary back-up to Beckham as well, with Lillibridge for 1B/3B/OF. Escobar for SS/3B/2B.

I LIKE IT.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 20, 2012 -> 09:38 PM)
FWIW my friend says he met ODawg and said he was an asshole.

Just don't sign him for next year no matter what.

We don't need to sign him even if he does well. This guy should be on one-year deals the rest of his career.

If he's an asshole do not sign him for more than the rest of this season!